Sikh Attitude Towards Jyotish(Astrology)

gurmukhsodhi

You know what West London. You do come across as one of those types who perceives all Sikh problems stemming from all castes other than your own? Is this true? Or are you man enough to acknowledge some less than wholesome activities stem from your own quarter too?

The truth is, once we start pointing fingers in this way, there is hardly a caste group that comes out clean. Right now, every group seems to be slack in one way or more.

Maybe what we really need to acknowledge is that in the end analysis ALL Sikhs need to pull their socks up, not just specific 'caste groups'?

Going back to the subject of the aforementioned type of superstitions, I'm going to stick my neck out and make another observation, one which I know may not go down too well with the politically correct set. But one thing I have noticed within Sikhs is that more often than not it is the bibian in the community (by this I mean our moms, aunties etc.) that seem to be stuck or preoccupied in this world of rashi and superstitious whatnot. I've seen this in my own and other Sikh families. Yeh, the men go along with it, but it's usually instigated by the bibian. I'm mentioning this because when I talk to blokes from other cultures, they seem to express the same phenomena in relation to their own womenfolk? I don't know what to make of it? Is there something more than gender stereotypes behind this or is that a significant piece of the puzzle amongst Panjabis?

I also noticed that 3HO Sikhs also seem to have strong leanings towards this type of stuff too, as can be seen in some of their vids?

I don't know if we are EVER going to be the rational, logical types as a community by the way. Maybe we too will be made up of people this way inclined and otherwise like most other communities?

Who (or what) are the 3HO Sikhs?

Sikhs (Predominantly goray Sikhs from Alburquerque, New Mexico USA. Most have strong love for Guru Ji and their (Just like everyone else) they get some flack from Sangat because there are some who are introduced to Sikhi via tantric yoga and they don't always have the same knowledge as someone born into Sikhi would. In my opinion once a person has begun his or her own path in Sikhi, you can't go wrong. You slowly learn more and more and if you do something that may not be Gurmat you learn from it with love and piyaar from Sangat teaching you why or why not with reasoning. My dad went to their Gurudwara in NM and said he was amazed, he said they all had kesh and kept their bana in tact and said it would remind him of Anandpur Sahib during Guru Ji's time if he had ever known/seen it.

edit- They were introduced to Sikhi by Harbhajan Singh as he taught yoga in the states. At first he taught only yoga and then people started to become more interested in Sikhi and he introduced them...

2679109651_f0eb98533c.jpg

Harbhajan Singh, Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale, and Baba Nihal Singh.

@Singh559 - Oh okay. Thanks for the information. I'm guessing this is the organisation that was formed by Harbhajan Singh Jogi?

Fair play to them. They've obviously found something in Sikhi that appeals to their spiritual needs. I'll do a bit more research before I can offer an opinion - either way - on the issues being discussed in this topic.

ਗਣਿ ਗਣਿ ਜੋਤਕੁ ਕਾਂਡੀ ਕੀਨੀ ॥

Calculating and counting, the astrologer draws the horoscope.

ਪੜੈ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਚੀਨੀ ॥

He studies it and announces it, but he does not understand reality.

ਸਭਸੈ ਊਪਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

Understand, that the Word of the Guru's Shabad is above all.

ਹੋਰ ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਉ ਨ ਸਗਲੀ ਛਾਰੁ ॥੨॥

Do not speak of anything else; it is all just ashes. ||2||

ਸਗੁਨ ਅਪਸਗੁਨ ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਲਗਹਿ ਜਿਸੁ ਚੀਤਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥

Good omens and bad omens affect those who do not keep the Lord in the mind.

ਤਿਸੁ ਜਮੁ ਨੇੜਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥੨॥

The Messenger of Death does not approach those who are pleasing to the Lord God. ||2||

ਆਪੇ ਪੂਰਾ ਕਰੇ ਸੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

Whatever the Perfect Lord does, that alone happens.

ਏਹਿ ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ ਦੂਜਾ ਦੋਇ ॥

Concern with these omens and days leads only to duality.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਅੰਧੁ ਗੁਬਾਰੁ ॥

Without the True Guru, there is only pitch darkness.

ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ ॥

Only idiots and fools worry about these omens and days.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Please do not understimate the power of the art of Jyotish. I think as Gursikhs we are told not to believe in superstitions (that is what Bhai Gurdaas Ji is alluding to). People often confuse superstition with astrology because those who make money out the art actually want to set confusion so that they get return business.

A form of Astrology is actually used by certain Gursikh Mahapursh who are genuinely helping humanity without making money from it. They usually have brahm gyan and with a few details about individual(s), i.e. DOB, name, place of birth, time of birth, they can focus their energy to find out more about the individual(s).

We must view Astrology as a very helpful TOOL that is actually very helpful in this dark age of Kalyug. If you are having problems in your life, e.g. marriage, kids, job etc, then, so long as the astrologer you visit has a high spiritual elevation and recommends Bani as part of the remedy, it can't be bad to seek assistance from them.

These people are few a far between.

I, being an Amritdhari Gursikh who believes in Guru Granth Sahib, Guru Panth and the 10 Living Gurus, have regular contact with such an elevated Gursikh par-aupkari and he has helped in a big way but not for a charge or anything in return. Even after taking Amrit I was having issues that one would normally think should not happen, but with a little help we were able to identfy that the root cause of the issues was as a result of past karams and that I still had a long stretch to go before my life would change for the better. I have been instructed to wear a rashi and to perform certain acts of charity and to recite certain Gurbani. I can tell you that this has worked for me. There is power in it.

Just like Yoga can be used as a TOOL to aid our physical existence so too can astrology help us to make greater sense of the happenings in our lives and the world around us. It has transformed my life for the better.