What If We Protested Like They Are In Egypt?

D Kaur

Were always being told to forget the past, move on... yet here in 2011 we have lost yet another precious life - Shaminder Singh Shera - at the hands of the Indian Government.

Whilst we didnt know the issues in egypt - with the recent publicity, the world is now aware, Obama and other high profile people are watching. The egyptyion government is being watched. Things will change. At the minute the people do have the power there.

Nobody knows about what Sikhs want. Nobody knows that we want our own state.

The way the Partition was conducted in 47 was wrong.

However were now in a position where Sikhs are held in a higher regard by the british, we even have memorials for the Sikhs that lost there lifes in the World War - surely now is the time to protest here in the UK and in India. And try and get the UK Government involved in fixing what they failed to do back in 47? Surely they have a responsibilty in correcting there mistakes?

Even more so now that we have proof of what the Indian Police / Government did only a few weeks ago.

I must admit that i'd be worried about the safety of Sikhs in India if they protested, but we really do need to a large scale peacefull protest.

Maybe a scheduled 1 day protest, on the same day, in UK, India, Canada, America and in as many other countries as we can arrange it? Mind you it MUST be peacefull - we cannot give people the opportunity to think bad of us or as violent religion.

Maybe on Vaisakhi, then Independance Day - and regularly there after. The protests in egypt have effected there stock markets, with India becoming an up and rising country they wont appreciate protests which could effect there financial markets, or the world watching them.

It's just a thought - and somthing i've been thinking about alot since the egypt protests started.

If we really do want our own state - surely now is the time to take action - Globally? Protests gain publicity - publicity gains awareness. With awareness we may just get the backing we need to get our own state, and bring the 84 perpetrators to justice. With the World watching the Indian Government they will have to agree to a change.

We would of course need all the Sikh Organisations to back this, arrange it and get all the relevant permissions and do it properly.

Is this doable?

The U.S. and the UK have vested interests in Egypt. They need a stable, accessible Egypt to quell the Islamic extremism that is coarsing through Africa. Thus the U.S. are working behind the scenes (they won't admit it) to install a new leader who will not only listen to the people, but also will be sympathetic to U.S. policies.

What reason would the U.S. or any other Western democracy have of helping us? There's nothing we have that is of use to them. So we'd be on our own, and the Indian government would be free to deal with us how they saw fit.

But a co-ordinated protest against atrocities committed against Sikhs would be a positive thing to do. It would draw attention to our plight and those unaware of our recent history would realise our struggles. But that's all we could do without resorting to violence.

As long as we don't have idiots burning the Indian flag or effigies, it could be a great thing. NOTE: I'm not saying burning the Indian flag is wrong. For what that god-forsaken country has done to us, its the least we're entitled to. BUT we need to be aware that such images would be beamed around the world, and all the people at home would see on TV is bearded and turbanned men chanting and burning stuff. We need to be much more savvy than that.

We already have the London June Rememberance Rally dont we for 1984. But I do think we need to do the following:-

1. Ensure that greater numbers attend the rally think it was 15,000 last year).

2. Ensure the new Sikh Council and the Sikh Federation engage with the Canadians and Americans to also have rallies within their capitals on the same day.

3. Ensure that all rallies have mainstream media coverage.

The 3rd point is the tricky one. I think if the media was tipped off that someone will be setting themselves on fire at the end of the rally, that should do it :o .

We already have the London June Rememberance Rally dont we for 1984. But I do think we need to do the following:-

1. Ensure that greater numbers attend the rally think it was 15,000 last year).

2. Ensure the new Sikh Council and the Sikh Federation engage with the Canadians and Americans to also have rallies within their capitals on the same day.

3. Ensure that all rallies have mainstream media coverage.

The 3rd point is the tricky one. I think if the media was tipped off that someone will be setting themselves on fire at the end of the rally, that should do it :o .

I don't think we need false alarms of people burning themselves to get media coverage. If you have multiple rallies on the same day, that is enough for the media to take interest. And if we can get this to happen around the world, that will ensure even more coverage. But the tricky part is gurudwara politics and getting Gurudwara committess to agree and host these rallies......

Another obstacle is the plain fact that Sikhs are split over self determination, I've met plenty that speak against it. Have we really explained and sold the idea to the majority of the global community yet?

Just because someone is around a lot of Khalistani supporters it doesn't mean that there are not swathes of other apnay who are either indifferent or apathetic towards the idea for various reasons. Seeing as so many of these types exist, any hostile forces will just wheel out some of these people and give them a media megaphone to negate the points made by the pro side.

Before any such protests are ever conducted I think it would be smart...no...essential and absolutely necessary to convince a indisputable majority of the Sikh people to support it.

That being said, the people of Panjab could get up en masse against Badal but we know that that will inevitably lead to lathi charges, shooting, illegal detainment, torture etc. etc. in other words the usual responses, which from where I am standing, the Sikh people seem to be sick of dealing with after all the post 1984 horror.

Firstly dont do anything that can be miscontrued as violent. Even obscene chanting can be used by the other side as propaganda against us. Flag burning is so common that its a waste of time as well putting us in the same box as 3rd world nutters and far right nationalists abroad.

Secondly, doing a rally once a year isnt that much to get noticed. Protesting outside any function that is attended by high profile indians/diplomatic staff and any hindustani cultural event (bollywood premiere) is more likely to get us noticed, but only if we keep it peaceful with slogans that arent full of violent or hate. That includes keeping an eye out for trouble makers.

Thirdly, this has also been raised above, we need to get more sikhs on board. In india they cant do much because they are literally under the thumb. Over here we have plenty of sellouts who see big money signs when it comes to siding with india. Many prominent 'sikh' politicians in North America are like this, as well as quite a lot of the older generation in general in the uk. To change this we need to be more vocal. By that I dont mean shout and scream like some brown nutters (that's what everyone else wants to see us as SO DONT PLAY UP TO IT). We need to spread our beliefs with a bit more intelligence and sincerity. Khalistan wont be some taliban shithole, it will be like how Punjab would have been if we hadnt lost to the british - a south asian version of japan or germany or any other moderately sized modern country. That means we cant afford to be intolerant of one another yet pander to outside communities.

India is up and coming and I feel that it be in the best to join in with this seeing the prime minister sikh, outside India the khalistan movement is stronger - I mean alot of kids are taught about it and they were not even born in 1984. Some may find this dangerous as they are only taught one side of things.

Secondly not all sikhs support this split, during a debate at university I met with fellow sikh brothers and other Indians (Punjabi and not) and not one thought it was a good idea. The non sikhs said it will lead to trouble from other states wishing self rule. One guy hit the nail firmly on the head and I could not answer this as I feel he had a point - If you want a khalistan then ask for your part from Pakistan first (as Guru Nanaks birth place is there).

Other reasons were that India is a secular country and also the fact that Punjab is mixed and what will happen to non-sikhs e.g. Hindus, Christians, Bhuddists, Nirankaris, Ravidasias, Muslims, etc.

Raj Khere Khalsa - this saying did come true but sadly its in the past, the sikh empire is no more, but look at this philosophically the moughal empire ended, the british empire ended.. its the cycle of life.

I have been thinking this for months now, you have stolen the words right out of my mouth sister. :) I think for sure we need something like this. A global protest all on the same day...

Lets hope we can arrange a Global Protest - All Gurdwara manage to arrange a Nagar Kirtan of Vaisakhi - if we really wanted to, a PEACEFUL Global Protest could be arranged.

Well i'll email Sikh Federation and see what they say about these ideas.......

I think that is really all i'm after. Thanks for offereing to bring it their attention, i truely feel that this would raise awarness.

If you want a khalistan then ask for your part from Pakistan first (as Guru Nanaks birth place is there).

Other reasons were that India is a secular country and also the fact that Punjab is mixed and what will happen to non-sikhs e.g. Hindus, Christians, Bhuddists, Nirankaris, Ravidasias, Muslims, etc.

Hmmm.... i think the logistics of getting our on state is somthing that we would need look into - if it did happen, anyone currently in the Sikh state would be free to stay there. Were not a violent religion we wouldn't to make peopel leave there homes. Sikhs live in the UK, in a Hindu chooses to live in the Sikh state, he's welcome to, we live side by side in India, so would we not continue to?

But i digress.... My main point is this... The egypt protests were violent, but there plight has been shared with the world. And the world sympathises with them. They see the violence and accept that there right to want change.

I do not want a violent protest, we already successfully arrange a Global Nagar Kirtan on Vaisakhi - a Peacefull one. Lets arrange a Global event to highlight the way Sikhs are being mistreated in India.

Human Rights lawers and activists will back us.

And for anyone who asks why would the UK or US back us?

In 2010 David Cameron described Indian - British relations as the "New Special Relationship"

The US see's India as it's ally in the fight against terrosim with Pakistam and Afghanistan.

The relationship is there - we just need to exploit it.

A number of people highlighted the obstacles - what could go wrong. And i feel that to often this is used as a reason to just continue as we are. Whilst we continue to plod along nothing is ever going to change.

Putting the State issue to one side. We need to raise awareness of what is going on in India. They dont care about Sikhs or our walfare, they do however care about there place in the world economy, the way they are percived in the worlds eyes. They do not want bad publicity. Lets exploit this.

UK imports the majority of it's tea from India, the TATA group is a massive part of the UK market, there are many other links and protests timed correctly would impact there stock market - which they would be very unhappy about.

Firstly we need to fix things in India - let the police and government know that whilst Sikhs in India dont have a voice, we do...

Surely we can do that - even the crazy gurdwara politics can see the need to do this... as at the minute it's someone elses son thats been killed and tortured, tomorrow it could be someone in your family. Whilst the people in India have no voice we have the skills, the professions and the ability to try and bring the inhumane treatment to light.