"Committees & The Youth" - Live Discussion Show

GurSa Singh

What should Gurdwara Committees be doing for the Sikh Youth?

LIVE Youth Discussion Show on Sunday 13 March 2011 at 7pm (GMT) on the Sikh Channel (Sky Channel 840).

The discussion will aim to focus on the questions;

• Why are there so few youth in Gurdwara Committees?
  • What do the youth believe the Gurdwara Committees should be doing for the Sikh Community?
  • How can we bridge the gap that exists between the current committees and youth?

It was brilliant. some of the points that were raised for people whom didnt get to watch the show:

1. We as Sikh youth should all take an active role in joining your local gurdwara committee. unfortunatly we have created a stigma associated with joining committees. people often say "dont get involved in gurdwara committe politics". If we dont get actively involved, things wont change and youth will continue to walk away from sikhi. We need to learn how gurdwaras run so that we can maintain them in the future.

2. Gurmat Classes are a must. Kirtan and Santhiya classes are also important

3. Katha and kirtan/veechaar in the English language at the gurdwara for non punjabi speaking youth. To help them build a link with sikhi.(gyanis should be encouraged to learn english)

4. Sports facilities- eg a Gym-with kirtan playing, astroturf pitches for football,hockey,cricket,netball to attract youth to the gurdwara. These wiill attract youth whom wouldnt normally go to the gurdwara, they can then be encouraged to attend kirtan/gurmat classes. Also get maharajs darshan regularly

5. community centres where youth can come to the gurdwara for help with issues they are facing such as drug addiction, domestic abuse, bullying, problems at their workplace

If anybody else can remember any more please add them. I feel that point number one should be our priority. Personally i have no idea about the process of forming or joining a committee and running in gurdwara elections. Could any sangat enlighten daas?

WJKK WJKF

Every Sikh young or old must get involved and carry out the rightful Daswand of 10% in

1. of time - 2.5 hrs for the mind -- Gurbani/naam simran

2. of time - 2.5 hrs for the physcial seva in the Gurdwara- without ego -- this could be getting involved in some kind of a Gurdwarra project with or without the committee - seva is seva , there are numerous examples of Gursikhs from all jathebandis who did seva without the want of power or chaudarpana--humility only in the last 50 years and even today they exist, find and follow.

3. contribution to the poor of 10% from household income.

It's crystal clear we find the above REAL hard , including myself, but even if 1% is done with the goal 10% as a target , it will reap benefits beyond our imagination.

The youth discussion show normally get's repeated Saturday afternoon at 2.30pm... I think!

I've just rang up the Sikh Channel to find out that the repeat showing of last Sunday's youth discussion about Committees has been cancelled!

Sikh Channel have received pressure from Gurdwara Committees not to repeat this show!

There are blatant attempts every week to silent the voice of the youth. The show was a constructive discussion about everyone playing their part and joining the seva of running the Gurdwaras in UK.

Please ring Sikh Channel and request them to repeat the youth show 0121 380 1050 or email dsb@sikhchannel.tv

I've just rang up the Sikh Channel to find out that the repeat showing of last Sunday's youth discussion about Committees has been cancelled!

Sikh Channel have received pressure from Gurdwara Committees not to repeat this show!

There are blatant attempts every week to silent the voice of the youth. The show was a constructive discussion about everyone playing their part and joining the seva of running the Gurdwaras in UK.

Please ring Sikh Channel and request them to repeat the youth show 0121 380 1050 or email dsb@sikhchannel.tv

Unless Sikh Channel are getting funded by these Gurudwaras that requested the show be cancelled, what the hell are they doing by caving in to these demands? I watched that show in it's entirety last week and I really enjoyed it.