Will It Work??

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will It Work??

• Yes, It could
    • No, Not a good idea
    • Unsure

Basically when i was around 8, every Massiya we used to take Missiya ( Onion, Dall wali roti ) to the Gurdwara sahib and other people did the same.

thats pure ritualistic i think.. and very unsikh.. dont u agree?

It may seem like a ritual from my sentence but there was another reason behind it. In Punjab

in small Gurdwaras ( Small community ) Langar is not prepared every Week or everyday only

on special occasions Like Sangrand and Massiya.

Even on these occassions the Gurdwara Management didn't Prepare Langar so Everyone taking

Parshadas from home was the best way. I think Dall was made in the Gurdwara sahib.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SikhForLife

pher theek hai

sorry i thought every masiya.. u guys did some special thing.. like everyone took daal dee roti... and other times u made some other food in langar..

hope langar starts everyday at this gw..

vjkk vjkf

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru jiki fateh jio

its a good idea, but isn't makin langer at GURUDAWARA SAHIB good.

may be the pupose was to have the whole community do seva as a family in their HOME(GURDWARA)!!!

thats how i saw and see it.

when u do seva with ur other gurupiyarray...it beings joy, and a sweet kind of togtherness.

if we all start tobring food from home, u knwo what will happen.(few people) might start to be egoistic, that their food is much better. and prolly(moorakhs like me) will start to point out whic thing was prepaird by me...lol

u might htink this is not prosible...but the world is soo crazy...and people like me doo think that way.

u can bring food to gurdwara if u want, but lets jus not mess with this, lets jus not break this togethrness of our seva at our Home(Gurudawara).

In ur case(deepi)that people dont come to gurdwara and help out in langer : well something should be done init.

Thir should be lesson taught to the sangat bout seva.

our Guru sahibans jeevnis should be told of doing seva of langer (or anykind). how much value seva of langer holds in house of ours

The problem is that people are forggetin what seva is.either they have no clue how doing seva benifits them or they jus ignoring it! but im asumin they not ignoring it they jus dont knwo BOUT WHAT VALUE SEVA HAS IN SIKH's life

if they knew what seva brings to them in their homes and lives, then all teh gurdwara would be filled with sangat doing seva.

the sakhi that u told has a point. and sometimes i tell my mum too that why not jus get food and take it to homeless people instead of takin to gurdwara, since Gareebs(poor peoplez) mo

uth is of God's mouth!

why take things to gurdwara, why make soo many sabjis and dallss at one time. why not jus make 1 dal o sabji(simple food) and the rest money that we we spend on 2 or 3rd sabji dall, jus buy something for poors instead!

jus a question, so my thoughts are right, do we have to make 2-3 sabji dalls at gurdwara?

in Indias Guruswaras all i remeber was havin Dalla and parshada

whic always tasted soo good

sorry bout going bout with so many topics at the same time!

bhulc hukk muff karni

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh jio

Yea, Mkhalsa has it right, if there's any type of drinking, smoking, going on in the house, langar shouldn't be made, no matter who it is. If in the house, Guru Granth Sahib ji is present and gurbani is sung, and its a good environment, there should be no problem, but if someone in the house drinks, etc. Then its waaaaaaaaaay out of Gurmat!

I do not support preparing langar @ home.. I don't even agree with ppls bringing Karah Prasad From home.. (There are Certain steps for making degh too..).. Anyway.. points are :

1) What if sangat ran out of food while serving ? (Ppls like me eat a lot.. :D ) ) Are they gonna run back to their homes and prepare?

2) What about guest sangats during weekdays? Langar Purpose is to serve sangat anytime (24/7).. So r ppls gonna come to gurdwara to serve just one or two guests sangat?

3) No home Utensils are that clean.. (Home like mine are not the correct place to prepare langar, even though we never had meat inside.. but still it's not a place to prepare guru ka langar.

4) Langar connects with sangat.. Sangat get together and make langar.. Someone wants to do sewa.. he/she is most welcome.. So why Home?

Langar is there to kill our hunger (yeah that quiet growl voice inside u) before sangat go and pray to waheguru.. Now days we see sangat comes and sit in diwan hall for couple of mins and then take langar and then off to the road.. In old times.. Sangat first used to eat langar before heading toward Diwan hall.. (?).. SO concept of langar is changing, and i think for the best interest.. we should follow the old ways.. ^_^

Anyway.. bringing langar or Prashad from home is not a good idea.. :st:

Also, I live near Nanaksar, and whenever there's a poornmashi, the sangat brings langar from home, and they serve it on that day at the Gurdwara.

Sikhforlife Veer, I understand you don't have to be amritdhari to cook food for the sangat, but you have to be pure, meaning you don't drink, smoke, eat meat, etc. Because you are preparing food for both amritdhari and non-amritdhari people, and the khalsa is instructed not to eat the jooth of others, so by making jootha langar, you are doing a paap.

My two cents.

Gurfateh!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Will kids be interested in Sikhi by doing so?

Maybe...it will

but i think there is no Sikh kid who does not know that Langar is a part of Sikhi....will they learn anything new by cooking it themselves.....SURE they will learn how do indulge in community activities...AND that is what we need now! that Sikh kids...are SIKHS! but really guys.....I can not support it! because i am the kind of person who always says 'Stict to the tradition!' 'never do anything in new way' 'do it just like folks before us did' SURE that will make it a ritual and like that is not the way Sikhi is.....

BUT do not you think if some GDs serve food made at GDs and others some other way....would it in a way create the first step towards making a cult and the nest thing you now..ppl are fighting about how certains Jathey are SO indulged in their 'backward' Rehit...it WILL not make Panthic Unity...for that!

SO just follow the traditional Rehit....and the ways as things are done before....and follow commandments (Hukamnameh and Gurmatas) passed by Guru Khalsa Panth [which is represented by Sri Akal Takht Sahib and other Takhts]....

and surely there are other ways to propagate Sikhi among Sikh kids.....like make Rap-based Dhadi Jatheh! like Immortal Shaheedi....and so on...

tell them their history and the great philosophy (i mean Gurmat/thaughts of Gurus about God and the world) that Gurus shared with us....

Deep...so i guess i support Khalsa, Mkhalsa, Vicky, Gursimar and other Veerjee and Bhainjees...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!