Sign in to follow this  
JustME

Baby Formula For Newborns

Wjkk wjkf

Sangat jeo I'm having difficulties in finding formula for our new born baby, (in the UK) as sma and all other high street brand ALL have fish products in them,

I know there are some soya based products but I read that they are not always good for newborns and lack certain nutrients....

Does sangat know of any formulas that are veggie friendly? I am breast feeding soon I gotta take some meds that won't allow to me to continue to do this, I really worried, I need to make sure baby gets the best of what he needs....

Thanks in advance sangat jio

Yes soy is really bad because it has been genetically modified. and i don't think there are any vegetarian/soy free baby formulas. I've just been trying to look for some, it seems they don't exist. There are some formulas, that are diary free/soy free and fish free, like this one http://www.neocate.co.uk/aaa_neocate/2319-what-is-neocate.html. Im not sure if it is a 100% vegetarian though. But it does seem to be.

There is a goat's milk alternative for infants, but it says its not 100% vegetarian http://www.ulula.co.uk/shop/baby-food-item.php?CatID=128&ProductID=500. But then there is another one for children 6 months + that says it is vegetarian http://www.ulula.co.uk/shop/baby-food-item.php?ProductID=533&CatID=128. Not sure if that helps. Don't know how old your child is.

On the web it seems, most people are suggesting its best to ask your GP/doctor, who can prescribe something. That is usually for babies with allergies, although your baby might not have any allergies, still it seems there are no vegetarian and soy free baby formulas. Because all the vegetarian ones have soy in them. But soy is detrimental to health. So I think its going to be best to ask your Doctor, they might be able to prescribe some special formula.

But its weird how there isn't any vegetarian baby formulas.

Call your local doctor or ask any GurSikh family at the Gurudwara. I hope you all the best for the little one! 17693053.gif17693053.gif17693053.gif

Your only option is SMA WySoy powder. This is soya milk but is the only vegetarian new born baby milk on the market. There is nothing wrong with the Soya milk as it is an alternative other baby milks, especially now with the likelihood of allegies etc to cows milk. You can move on to the other SMA products (powder only) in 6 months time which is suitable for veggies and no fish

• Like 1

First of all JustMe, many congratulations and best wishes re; the baby.

As for your predicament, the only advice I can give you, and please bear in mind that this advice comes from a complete non-expert in the subject matter, is that I do know that many hippie / vegan types in this country make their own homemade baby formula using light corn syrup (btw...don't be put off by the sugar element because breastmilk itself produces a high sugar content also).

Talk to some bajurgs about desi homemade formulas......I'm pretty sure the old skool desi formulas would entail corn syrup also.

Your only option is SMA WySoy powder. This is soya milk but is the only vegetarian new born baby milk on the market. There is nothing wrong with the Soya milk as it is an alternative other baby milks, especially now with the likelihood of allegies etc to cows milk. You can move on to the other SMA products (powder only) in 6 months time which is suitable for veggies and no fish

I second that. Having done lot's of research and due to complications of not being able to breast feed anymore, we found SMA WySoy powder is the only newborn milk available for us as Gursikh Vegetarians. All others will have fish oils in some form or the whey is from animal rennet.

WJKKWJKF

I think it would be best if you contact your local http://www.laleche.org.uk/ group, they would be more experienced to advise you on vegetarian options, women there have alot of experience and give there time freely, you will meet new mums and get support on breastfeeding when you start.

Another recommendation is not to feed the baby from a bottle, once babies get used sucking on a bottle nipple is will be so hard to go back to breastfeeding. Newborn babies only need a little milk and I would recommend feeding with a spoon, and go straight to breastfeeding. I appreciate is a worrying and difficult time for you. But it is best if you seek advice from experienced women on your concerns.

Take care

I second that. Having done lot's of research and due to complications of not being able to breast feed anymore, we found SMA WySoy powder is the only newborn milk available for us as Gursikh Vegetarians. All others will have fish oils in some form or the whey is from animal rennet.

Yes but soy is extremely bad! This thing should be banned!

Look at what this doctor says about soy. Please watch this video, DON'T FEED YOUR CHILD SOY! Watch this video, it will explain the effects it has. 2:45 seconds, goes into alot of detail.

Look at the facts.

http://www.naturalne...d_soybeans.html Research this link!

This is an epidemic, seriously there is no alternatives available either for vegetarian baby formulas. I think asking your doctor, if there is any alternatives, is the best thing to do. But this is a major problem guys. Look anyone out there who is thinking about giving their children soy, you seriously need to look up the true effects. Its not good at all.

Who is evil enough to put these products out there in the first place? Well thats a whole story on its own.

Look i don't know anything about baby formulas, but I do know, do NOT give children, especially babies any soy. If you have already been doing so, you need to find an alternative, if you can't find an alternative then make an alternative. I don't think people are realising how bad this situation really is. Pretty much all foods these days have soy added to them, when there is no need. There is a force out there trying to destroy humanity. We need to rise up, everything is interconnected. There is a conspiracy in everything. Please everyone open your minds.

I hope you will find something better for your child, with God's grace you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnEmqu2lDk

I know what you are all thinking and this is all i have to say

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Just like when people laughed at the law of gravity, now people accept it, just like people laughed at the idea of the Earth being a sphere, but now that is accepted as obvious truth. And before they use to hang people who said that. I hope you understand.Its just like men's sperm count is at an all time low, all across the world, its because we are being bombarded, with electro magnetic pollution, chemical in the foods, this whole worlds insane, and then people are going to start calling me insane.

Dearest Harjeet

I am sure no will call you insane, especially when you have good evidence to back up your claims against 'soya'.

The issue I think is a wider one and can be deeply distressing when you are a mother and need to feed your baby, the instinct and fear is deep rooted and sometimes you may need just for a short while consider all vegetarian options, time is limited when you have a crying hungry baby, and you will be probably be lactating.

Many people cannot appreciate it, especially in Gurdwaras, you have a starving newborn baby screaming its head off for food and there is no where to breastfeed other than the dirty toilets.

It is uncomfortable and difficult especially for other people in the sangat who are disturbed by the screaming baby and mother who has no choice but to leave, especially when people tell her off. It is really distressing, because Gurdwaras are run by mostly men, they will never consider having a mother and baby room, I am going off the topic as well, sorry.

Anyway, the joys of motherhood:-)

There is a big conspiracy going on, that is against women:-)

This is why its an epedemic, because there really is no decent alternative formulas availabe, and nobody is doing anything about this. What can we do? Vegetarians need an alternative formula that does not have any harmful things in it. Seriously what are going to do? We can't just keep feeding our children, the future of our race all this rubbish.

But i do think doctors can presrcibe special brands of baby formula, that are usually used for babies with allergies, that are fish free, soy free etc It might be worthwhile to ask for one of these, because vegetarians only option is soy, in the regular shops. And soy = no good.

• Like 1

This is why its an epedemic, because there really is no decent alternative formulas availabe, and nobody is doing anything about this. What can we do? Vegetarians need an alternative formula that does not have any harmful things in it. Seriously what are going to do? We can't just keep feeding our children, the future of our race all this rubbish.

Yes there is no alternative. Because our anscestors didn't have babies did they ? From the year 1776 to 1987 no sikh baby was born was it ?....or if it was it deliberately wasn't fed...was it ?

Even when half of the sikh mothers died during childbirth in the olden days the father kept the baby hungry while he wrote off letters to wal-Mart and Tesco asking them to invent and stock something called an 'sma formula' ?

Harjeet, before going on and on about there being 'no alternative' why don't you read my post in which I state that alot of the new age hippie type vegans in this country make their own homemade baby formula via light corn syrup ?

Why don't you read what i said about asking the bajurgs about homemade desi recipes for baby formula (and before you say anything I am well aware that we tended to substitute mothers breast milk with either a wet nanny, goats milk or even cows milk....but I'm pretty sure there were desi formulas also). Our bajurgs are a fountain of knowledge. All we know better than them is how to operate a computer.....They know about secrets of life.

Yes there is no alternative. Because our anscestors didn't have babies did they ? From the year 1776 to 1987 no sikh baby was born was it ?....or if it was it deliberately wasn't fed...was it ?

Even when half of the sikh mothers died during childbirth in the olden days the father kept the baby hungry while he wrote off letters to wal-Mart and Tesco asking them to invent and stock something called an 'sma formula' ?

Harjeet, before going on and on about there being 'no alternative' why don't you read my post in which I state that alot of the new age hippie type vegans in this country make their own homemade baby formula via light corn syrup ?

Why don't you read what i said about asking the bajurgs about homemade desi recipes for baby formula (and before you say anything I am well aware that we tended to substitute mothers breast milk with either a wet nanny, goats milk or even cows milk....but I'm pretty sure there were desi formulas also). Our bajurgs are a fountain of knowledge. All we know better than them is how to operate a computer.....They know about secrets of life.

lol, ok im sorry bro, i said if there is no alternative, make your own alternative in an earlier post, i just meant that there is no alternatives in the shops and this is a problem. Because lets be honest, we have become dependent on getting our goods from the store.I agree with you, no need to attack me.

But i do think doctors can presrcibe special brands of baby formula, that are usually used for babies with allergies, that are fish free, soy free etc It might be worthwhile to ask for one of these, because vegetarians only option is soy, in the regular shops. And soy = no good.

The doctor will not prescribe based on dietary choices, there will have to be an allegery existing. The milk on prescription is for special cases only.