Sikhi For Newbies

In my life I have encountered several people from a Sikh background who know little about Sikhi (your typical Punjabi). Usually most have same questions, or if not need to be taught about the same stuff over and over again. Then at times I didn't know how to explain some things.

I am sure that most of you have faced this problem aswell.

Then at other times there were people asking how to convert to Sikhi. Our brothers and sisters usually have answers that leave desires to be fulfilled, so we need answers to that aswell.

What about creating PDFs like Jehovas Witnesses produce Watchtower in more than 400 languages. We could do with fewer languages.

Each pdf would have answers to a set of questions regarding God/world ('why we suffer' etc), FAQ about Sikhi, Sikh history and 'Did you know'.

These PDFs could be printed from one source and distributed to youngsters at Gurudwaras. Being simple and not too big they could help youngsters getting into Sikhi or atleast get nearer to their roots.

Maybe SikhSangat could help in this regard? Any of the Sangat?

I'm in for writing :D

Ive attached a few usefull ones. The can be printed off (remember to do it double sided) folded and distributed to all.

Also look at the following link: http://barusahib.org/publications.php

Scroll down to the "Articles" section at the bottomof the page.

becoming-vegetarian.pdf

sikh-women.pdf

sikhism-religion-views.pdf

guru-granth.pdf

five-ks.pdf

I have had similar thoughts recently as you. My idea is to create a DVD to hand out at gurdwaras which can contain katha in english, nitnem, and literature, Each dvd can hold about 4.7gb. and 100 dvds on amazon costs about £20. After searching on the internet, i found two good websites where there are a lot of excellent PDF ebooks on sihkism

http://www.sikhroots.com/docman/cat_view/67-resources

http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/literature.htm

There are perhaps a few dodgy ones on the 2nd website from sikh missionary society. However there a lot of excellent distributable resources on both websites. Here is another link which i found during my search which may be of value. Ive been able to put about 40 of the PDF books onto my kindle with no problem, they can be directly converted to kindle format.

hope these help.

I am currently working on collecting materials (video/audio/articles) all over and then divide them into different categories for distribution. I am still in planning mode but vision is to make a folder which will have everything categorized: ex: if someone's family member passed away and he/she wants to get what sikhi says about death.. they will find that part from folder without much hurdle.

One thing.. Beware that no-anti akal takht should be supported to create such material.. So to forum members, please check other party before start working with someone and later to find that they are one of the kala afghani type ppl... Happened to me once and they took material and twisted it to their version. So be careful and do not trust others quickly !

I am currently working on collecting materials (video/audio/articles) all over and then divide them into different categories for distribution. I am still in planning mode but vision is to make a folder which will have everything categorized: ex: if someone's family member passed away and he/she wants to get what sikhi says about death.. they will find that part from folder without much hurdle.

Sounds very good...please keep us posted on ur progress...dhanvaad!