Horses Used By The Sikhs

Hard to say but if we believe what is written, the anmol breed was from horses left behind by alexendra, so please do not worry too much about this as the breed was not natural to Punjab anyway. We need to be concerned about the horses that were the result of breeding the bloodlines imported by our Guru Ji. Currently Budha Dal still have puratan nasal horses and its essential we preserve these and give them a distinct identity within the equine world. For much of the outside world they only know of the Marwari and Kathi. There are thousands of Marwari but they are promoted as a rare breed, we need to open our eyes and focus on the puratan bloodlines which are truly rare.

Thanks Zoltansingh for the reply.

At the moment myself and a few scholars in the UK are in the midst of setting up a tust/society not affiliated with any religous organisation for academics and scholars. The core of its philosophy and identity is Punjabi, be it indian or pakistani. We plan to reintoduce old ideas like the italian Renaissance did, the arts, arcitecture, literature, science, technology and etc. It oneday occured to me that punjab owes a lot to its habitat and wildlife as well. That is why I started this thread. Horsmanship and Falconry are forgotten punjabi arts.

I am adament about saving these puratan bloodlines. I plan to approach the HSBSP and see what can be done. If anyone is interested in writing some serious articles for our future website then please do not hesitate.

Our ancestors bred these horses for a purpose, lets not leave them to the sands of time.

Majorsahib,

HSBSP are very much pro Punjabi horses and in all their press releases make it an issue to highlight why Punjabi horses are distinct. I know a few of the guys involved with the HSBSP setup and they are some of the nicest guys you could meet who take time out to share their passion.

All the best with setting up your trust.

I need to do more research myself but I am sure the society guys in Punjab can help. I will send you a couple of contacts by private message tomorrow as they are saved on my other pc.

I will also try and upload a video of Maghar Singh Ji who spent years with the Budha Dal and knows about the puratan lines.

From my understanding straight arabian horses have more dense and stronger bones than most horses, therefore they are the most sought after. Even though their max height is 15-16 hands people will rather go for an arabian because it is stronger and is better adapted than the average horse. My question is, do purathan punjabi bloodline horses have both height (16++) AND strong/dense bones?

How do they compare in that sense?

Punjabi horses are known for their strong bone structure , have height and recently proved their endurance qualities at the Patiala event. Maybe this endurance trait is inherited from the arabi and Turkoman bloodlines that were imported into Punjab centuries ago.

Awesome to know, I haven't been so interested in something in a long time. Hopefully in the future i can go to punjab and help out the cause to preserve our heritage.

Thanks Singh :)

The society setup have said they will be hosting more events to promote Punjabi horses, so hopefully those interested can catch these events when over in Punjab.

Look up Akhal Teke as these are horses of Turkoman origin which have great endurance and may also have shaped our bloodlines.