Horses Used By The Sikhs

3877200342_6c88be4d72_b.jpg

4614807722_32f38ac253_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gurbirsinghbrar/5022263245/in/faves-60421816@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gurbirsinghbrar/3461439869/sizes/m/in/faves-60421816@N03/

I must say, out of all these horses, the black purathan bloodline one you posted really left a mark. Were most of the old horses that Singhs used back in the day that size?

DSC_1090.JPG

Question: is there a way to determine where these puratan bloodline horses originate from through DNA testing like you can with dogs?

Yes it is possible but we are not in denial about our horses like others and accept that Arabi and Turkoman horses were used to upgrade local horses. There are ample historical accounts of our Guru Ji, misal jathedar and rajas having imported Arab and Turko steads. Also paintings from the 19th century by europeans show arab horses at the court of Maharaja Ranjit Singh Ji.

4614807722_32f38ac253_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...s-60421816@N03/

http://www.flickr.co...s-60421816@N03/

I must say, out of all these horses, the black purathan bloodline one you posted really left a mark. Were most of the old horses that Singhs used back in the day that size?

Second photo you posted is of Sukhbir Badals stallion which was bought from Rajasthan and is a Marwari. Please credit the author of the photos and a link(I think those shots were taken by Manu Sharma@ www.indigenoushorsesofindia.com who spends a lot of time, money and effort photographing horses for the rest of us to enjoy)

With regards to the Bidhi Chand Stallion, it is not related to the Budha Dal puratan line but I am told it is of Punjabi origin so a punjabi bloodline. The height etc sets it apart from other horses in other states. There are references to Sikhs using horses larger than the marathas but then the marathas used what we call tatoo (ponies), many accounts mention the horses of Sikhs being big, sturdy animals with good endurance.

I see, i feel bad for the horses. Badals are evil people, i would hate to be surrounded by them.

Also, i was asking because technically we can DNA test the current role model purathan bloodline horses and in the future use that data to make similar horse crosses and try to revive the breed, would that work?

I see, i feel bad for the horses. Badals are evil people, i would hate to be surrounded by them.

Also, i was asking because technically we can DNA test the current role model purathan bloodline horses and in the future use that data to make similar horse crosses and try to revive the breed, would that work?

Love them or loathe them, his own horses are very well cared for.

Why not just import some arab and turkoman horses and cover local mares with them? Thats what they did with the Prussian breed (using throughbreds).

Love them or loathe them, his own horses are very well cared for.

Why not just import some arab and turkoman horses and cover local mares with them? Thats what they did with the Prussian breed (using throughbreds).

Yeah, I can tell by the horse, it's very good looking and looks well kept.

I see, i guess that would work as well then. What is the most unique and sought after trait of the prathan nassal in you opinion? Is it the height and strength of the horse, i know that arabs only go up to around 15hands max.