Amrithari Youth

_singhni_

Guest guest

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

bhenji dont worry some times family members will do it without knowing they r hurting u, its a way non amritdharis try to deflect away from their of weaknesses for being sikhs yet not living up to gurujis ways. i used to get it all the time,but now they have seen the benefits of walking the path of sikhi. u have to be strong, dnt snap lead by example and slowly they will share your pyar for sikhi.

Vjkk vjkf

Just wanted to share and discuss something that has been really bothering myself since having come onto the path of sikhi and later on been blessed with amrith.

Why is it that when your the only 1 in your family or out of your cousins your age to have taken amrith that people who are meant to be your family (extended family/cousins) try to put you down?.

Iv seen this so much and having gone through it myself I don't see the point. If your doing something that's right why do people try so badly to put you down?

Sorry for ranting. Any opinions on this Would be nice :)

i havent taken amrit yet my closest cousins are cool.. my family is really supportive but i felt the same way after i got into sikhi..people at gurudwara and family i am close with made me feel unaccepted.. aunties at gurudwara tried to put my cousin (who doesnt look like shes into sikhi from the outside but listens to kirtan/ katha) against us..

it could get quite frustrating at times.. you get weird reactions from people you expect the least from but i am sure there are a lot of people that support you.. i got a lot of support and love from different people too after a got into sikhi...

but i know what you mean.. its hurtful to see people treat you differently after you start keeping ur kesh or get more into sikhi...!!

Vjkk vjkf

Just wanted to share and discuss something that has been really bothering myself since having come onto the path of sikhi and later on been blessed with amrith.

Why is it that when your the only 1 in your family or out of your cousins your age to have taken amrith that people who are meant to be your family (extended family/cousins) try to put you down?.

Iv seen this so much and having gone through it myself I don't see the point. If your doing something that's right why do people try so badly to put you down?

Sorry for ranting. Any opinions on this Would be nice :)

i havent taken amrit yet my closest cousins are cool.. my family is really supportive but i felt the same way after i got into sikhi..people at gurudwara and family i am close with made me feel unaccepted.. aunties at gurudwara tried to put my cousin (who doesnt look like shes into sikhi from the outside but listens to kirtan/ katha) against us..

it could get quite frustrating at times.. you get weird reactions from people you expect the least from but i am sure there are a lot of people that support you.. i got a lot of support and love from different people too after a got into sikhi...

but i know what you mean.. its hurtful to see people treat you differently after you start keeping ur kesh or get more into sikhi...!!

so true jee so true, koyna: charan saran gur ek penda jaye chal satgur kot painda aagai hoye lait ho.

They claim to be proud of you, but secretly they see you as an extremist..they treat you differently, develop a somewhat inferiority complex. start debates over little things. i think my biggest problem is that cousins and even immediate family become jealous of your sangat, the new set of gursikh friends you make on the path and your prem with fellow singhs/singhnis. Your parents will patronize you, make you feel you devote to much time to your sikhi and need to concentrate on the world more and family members will fuel the fire. Even local aunty/uncles will be nice to you face to face, behind you your back comments will be made, prejudices will be formed.your best try is to speak to everyone with a lot of pyaar and nimrata, ahahaha singhs used to tease me for say hanjee too much lololol, fake nimrata is the way forward ahaha. no seriously dont argue with people if you can avoid it, all in all see it as maharaj sahib jee losing your moh with your family.

Taking Amrit also shows your committment to Sikhi and generally people are scared of committment and those who are committed.

It's shows that you believe in something and that you won't break away from it, it's a strength. They may just be threatened by it

or just don't want to seem 'uncommitted.'

Sorry if i've said anything wrong.

As Sikhs, we need to knock on the head this mistaken notion amongst our own people that becoming Gursikh is a step towards extremism. I guess it's the western media's demonisation of Islam and the perceived threat of bearded and turbanned folk becoming terrorists, that is starting to affect ignorant Sikhs too. Taking Amrit is taking a step towards God. It's not taking a step towards becoming a potential militant, as some of our brothers and sisters seem to think.

Completely agree with the "militant" view

Been classified as "militant" by my own folks kind of makes me giggle because it's like I'm only trying to follow Guru jes hukhum. Only if they saw the chaldikala singhs and singhnees in our Panth would they know what true "militant" Sikhs are as I myself am nothing :)

I've experienced a lot of direct hate from some family members, with 1 or 2 extended family saying that they would forcefully cut my hair. i made it clear to them that i wouldn't tolerate that, that i would defend myself, and they got scared and backed off. you need to stop caring what people think, live for maharaj. you'll be happier overall, and the lukewarm family members will probably slowly start to respect you more b/c of your commitment. i also recommend that when you speak to them, when you answer questions etc, speak gently with regard for their feelings. this will ease the transition for all of you and make them less likely to turn away after being spoken to harshly.

Guest Maya so much

I bet if you told yor family you become accountant they be so happy for you . But as gur sikh you earn the true kamai of naàm . The world is in the maya like this :( . Accountants are mostly boring anyway ;)