Dudley Gurdwara Agrees To Implement Akal Takht Sandesh In Sikh Cultural Centre

Satkaar

what the hell, does everyone expect the satkaar group to do everything while we sit here criticizing them...its every sikhs duty to strive for the implementation of our Guru's teachings

hot head pal07, is it too much to ask what satkaar group campaign about, how they prioritise their workload/ demand, what their strategy is ?

if satkaar group is a vehicle to enforce the teachings of the guru, then i for one would like to know more about them and when is it just to throw bricks and fight with the police ?

bal chuk maaf .

Reading the opinions of contributors on sikhphilosophy.net, I'm very surprised how differently they're approaching this issue. Oh well you learn something new everyday I suppose.

The gentleman Randip Singh, who I think moderates and regularly posts on sikhphilosphy.net, is a disgruntled ex-Sikhsangat.com poster. He has it in for anyone that isn't him, so I wouldn't take the comments on sikhphilosophy.net seriously. They're just presenting a whole load of "half-truths" to portray the whole protest as mindless violence.

There's some pictures on Panthic Weekly article that capture the real side of the protest.

http://www.panthic.org/articles/5357

You can clearly see the profile of Sikhs who attended from kids to elders.

Will Satkaar Group also advocate (and enforce) the Sandesh of Sri Akal Takht Sahib re: having langar on the floor versus on tables ?

in response to the above ub1 - the satkaar group should now be liquidated as we already have enough jathebandia as it is...and the implementation of sikh values should be done by all of us through the reform of Gurdwaras...if we expect a satkaar group to take on the responsibilty then this has a segregating effect and then people who are cowards will be quick to criticise them when something goes wrong, and a lot of lazy people will expect them to do the important seva while they themselves sit on the fence

Surely all Sandesh's are important and the Satkaar Group shouldnt been seen 'cherry picking' easy enforcements of the many equally important Sandesh's.

Yeah man, what Sandesh's you reckon we should up hold? the "hard ones"? You think you could set-up a website and campaign going?

I went to my local Gurdwara (Singh Sabha, Havelock Road) and on two occasions (one in late March 2011 and the other 2 weeks ago) asked the management committee (Johal and Sohi respectively on the two occasions) about why they provide tables for langar as well as a seating area on the floor. I was told I dont understand Sikh politics and have a choice on whether to have langar at a table or on the floor. I mentioned the Sandesh of Sri Akal Takht Sahib and on both occasions the old men just walked off without responding.

Thats wrong yaar, they shouldn't have walked off like that. send them a letter, then organise a protest.

We need a co-ordinated campaign, not some random singh, alone doing his spasmodic thing for the panth -yo get me ?

yeah man, you speak sense.. go for it, i'll forward your emails to everyone

If the objective of the protest was to peacefully protest by doing simran and kirtan and hence by its spirtual power to stop the dudley committee doing beadbi, then Satkar failed.

What made the the committee change its mind, was the reaction to there provacation, the forceful methods used. If it truly was to be a peacful protest then we all should have just ignored the provocation and instead continued doing simran.

In reality any protest relying on doing Kirtan and simran, would not have worked as we are not in the state of Chardi Kala and 'nam kamia'. How can we really just chant Gurbani, whilst beadbi is being committed, is this what the Guru teaches us?

Satkar need to learn from this incident and re-evaluate its strategy for overcoming beadbi. In its statement, they say that a minority were involved in disturbances, really.

The main course of violence and those responsible for this, were the Dudley committee, especially the President and Trustees, for allowing people to use there premises to provocate and intimidate a peacful protest, as well as the heavy handiness of the police, which resulted in retaliation and a violent reaction.

Learn from this and keep up the good work Satkar.

In reality any protest relying on doing Kirtan and simran, would not have worked as we are not in the state of Chardi Kala and 'nam kamia'. How can we really just chant Gurbani, whilst beadbi is being committed, is this what the Guru teaches us?

Veerji, kirtan and simran can get rid of cancers that top doctors fail to cure. Billions have been spent on cancer research to find cure(s), so I think kirtan and simran can be used to cure the mental state of the Dudley prabandakhs.

what the hell, does everyone expect the satkaar group to do everything while we sit here criticizing them...its every sikhs duty to strive for the implementation of our Guru's teachings

PAL 07, I totally agree, it's easy to say negative unhelpful things, or type negative unhelpful things, even after the Satkaar Campaign have done a brilliant job of making people aware of the Guru's teachings!

The Satkaar Campaign have achieved so much, and shown the rest of us the way, now it's for every Sikh to fulfil their duty in promoting Sikhi, rather than the drinking of alcohol, in Gurdwara associated buildings!

Out of the hundreds of Gurdwaras in the UK there are still a handful who are promoting drinking alcohol in Gurdwara associated buildings - Hopefully these last few Gurdwares will see sense too, like the Dudley Gurdwara Committee did, and move a step closer to their Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj, by banning the consumption of alcohol in their Gurdwara Associated Building!

We should leave the sale and promotion of alcohol to the Pubs, Nightclubs, off licences, and restaurants, as allowed by the law of this land. Gurdwares should not be taking business away for Pubs, Nightclubs, off licences, and restaurants that offer anyone a place to drink without offending anyone!

The Great British Press and Media, and the Police, should be supporting their tax paying Pub, Nightclub and restaurant owners, rather than protecting and assisting mislead Gurdwara Committee members in taking customers away from the Legitimate British Tax Paying Men and Women who sell alcohol in legal, legitimate and suitable venues!!!