Why Do We Need Religion ? What Is Purpose Of Religion ?

How about a few lines about what you think the purpose of religion is, and if its a help or a hindrance in your life?

I think it is one of the best way to waste your time ! Worshiping a being which contradicts itself ... without ever seeing him ... !

I admit I could be wrong !

In the Rigveda, the word appears as an n-stem, dhárman-, with a range of meanings encompassing "something established or firm" (in the literal sense of prods or poles), figuratively "sustainer, supporter" (of deities), and semantically similar to the Greek ethos ("fixed decree, statute, law"). In Classical Sanskrit, the noun becomes thematic, dharma-.

It is a derivation from Proto-Indo-Iranian root *dhar- ("to fasten, to support, to hold"), in turn reflecting Proto-Indo-European root *dʰer- ("to hold"),[5] which in Sanskrit is reflected as class-1 root √dhṛ. Etymologically it is related to Avestan √dar- ("to hold"), Old Persian √dar- ("to hold, have"), Latin frēnum ("rein, horse tack"), Lithuanian derė́ti ("to be suited, fit"), Lithuanian dermė (agreement),[6] darna ("harmony") and OCS drъžati ("to hold, possess"). Classical Sanskrit word dharmas would formally match with Latin o-stem firmus < *PIE *dʰer-mo-s "holding", were it not for its historical development from earlier Rigvedic n-stem.

From the Atharvaveda and in Classical Sanskrit, the stem is thematic, dhárma- (Devanāgarī: धर्म), and in Pāli, it takes the form dhamma. It is also often rendered dharam in contemporary Indian languages and dialects. It is used in most or all philosophies and religions of Indian origin—sometimes summarized under the umbrella term of Dharmic faiths—including Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. It is difficult to provide a single concise definition for dharma, as the word has a long and varied history and straddles a complex set of meanings and interpretations.

Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism are called Hindu Dharma, Buddha-Dharma, Jain-Dharma and Sikh dharma, respectively.

How are you worshipping a being that contradicts Himself? explain that.

And you say you can't see Him, so he may not be there. Well, who created everything then? Athiests say gases and elements were always here, how is that possible? How could they just have 'been' here without someone creating them? If electrons were just a tiny bit slower, if protons were just a little smaller, nothing would exist. The molecules would be out of whack. How could this order be there without Someone having put this order in? Earth is protected from many dangerous threats from outer space (ie. asteroids) and is the perfect distance from the Sun for us to exist. It contains resources for us to live on. It gives us life. Someone has put these resources there. How could these Saints be free from the spell of Maya without Him? God keeps them detached. If there wasn't anything there, what would these Saints be praying to? If there wasn't something there, how could these Saints remain detached?

Without religion, life's empty, so empty. Do you really believe that "this is it"? DO you believe that this is the max. happiness we'll ever achieve? Going out to parties, hanging out with friends, is this the max happiness? And we're never always happy either, except the Saints of course. We feel bad sometimes, we're never at extreme bliss. We're on a lonely roller coaster where we believe the maximum happiness we'll ever get is form drugs, intoxicants, friends, social gatherings, and other pleasures, all the while experiencing bad times. It's all very empty without God. God gives us extreme bliss for eternity, he saves us from reincarnations.

I have never been able to achieve anything in life without help from other people. Religion is a term we give to this collective knowledge. You get help for ever other part of your life (work, school, learning to read, learning manners, etc.) so why not help in answering the most important questions. Even if you do not call it religion, everyone has a religion. To say that you do not have a religion is to state that your religion is irreligion.

If you are asking what is the point of futile rituals and endless chanting etc.... I think everyone would agree it is useless. The "religion" that you are attacking is indeed a waste of time, but your conception of it is not the same as everyone elses.

ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਕਾ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਤੁਮ ਭਾਈ ਕਿਵ ਛੂਟਹ ਹਮ ਛੁਟਕਾਕੀ ॥

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਬੇੜੀ ਹਰਿ ਤੁਲਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿਓ ਤਰੈ ਤਰਾਕੀ ॥੧॥: ||1||

Tell me, O Siblings of Spirituality, the Dharma for this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. I seek emancipation — how can I be emancipated?

God's meditation and the Name are the boat and the raft; meditating on God, the swimmer swims across ||1||

ang 668

How are you worshipping a being that contradicts Himself? explain that.

And you say you can't see Him, so he may not be there. Well, who created everything then? Athiests say gases and elements were always here, how is that possible? How could they just have 'been' here without someone creating them? If electrons were just a tiny bit slower, if protons were just a little smaller, nothing would exist. The molecules would be out of whack. How could this order be there without Someone having put this order in? Earth is protected from many dangerous threats from outer space (ie. asteroids) and is the perfect distance from the Sun for us to exist. It contains resources for us to live on. It gives us life. Someone has put these resources there. How could these Saints be free from the spell of Maya without Him? God keeps them detached. If there wasn't anything there, what would these Saints be praying to? If there wasn't something there, how could these Saints remain detached?

Without religion, life's empty, so empty. Do you really believe that "this is it"? DO you believe that this is the max. happiness we'll ever achieve? Going out to parties, hanging out with friends, is this the max happiness? And we're never always happy either, except the Saints of course. We feel bad sometimes, we're never at extreme bliss. We're on a lonely roller coaster where we believe the maximum happiness we'll ever get is form drugs, intoxicants, friends, social gatherings, and other pleasures, all the while experiencing bad times. It's all very empty without God. God gives us extreme bliss for eternity, he saves us from reincarnations.

Exactly!! I see God everyday I open my eyes...its beautiful! Humans are amazing, so detailed, so complex, so blinded, animals so calculated, love and emotion formless, but so powerful. What amazing entity created all this is mindblowing. Guru Arjun dev ji said 'I am bewitched' :)