Hukam- Concept Badly Misinterpreted

Hukkam vs Dharam (Duty)

For years and years I have been hearing so called youth parchaaraks misusing the term Hukam. They are very quick to quote "Hukam ander sabh ko, bar hukam na koi!"

so what comes first? duty or hukkum?

We are told to earn honesty- Kirat Karni- so we get up and work to make money. But if it was hukkam for us to have money then we'd make money regardless? no need to get outa bed right?

Not quite.. first comes Dharam. Dharam is our duty as Sikhs, whilst fulfilling out duties what the outcome is Hukkam.

We do kirat karni- some make millions.. others barely get by- That is Hukkum, but at no stage do we stop kirat.

Our duhaavi duties includes us raising children. We tr to give them the best in terms of Sikhi and worldly possessions, because that's our duty as a Parent. We do not leave them to wander the streets, and say its in maharaajs hukkam how they turn out. No!.. hukkum is the outcome. If your child turns out to be a Saint/Soldier or the next badmaash.. thats Hukkum!.. but your duty comes first to raise them correctly.

As a Sikh it is our duty to stand up for injustice, whilst doing so what ever the outcome is will be maharaaj's hukkum.

I remember speaking to a Gursikh after a a young sikh girl had been abused. I said its a shame we didn't retaliate, so this person would think twice about abusing a girl again. His response was that its up to god what happens to him, and that everything happens in maharaajs hukkam.

At the same time this gursikh was taking a school to court for something that had happened to his child, something minor.. but he spent £1000's trying to prosecute them because his felt hard done by. Why didn't he leave that as hukkum?

What really gets to me is when people misuse Gurbani to justify doing NOTHING!! in the face of evil. I absolutely hate the way our youth are turned into passive, submissive, totally selfish, self-centered budhists with this type of preaching.

They have no concept of Dharmic social responsibility, they quick to judge anyone who doesn't conform to THEIR own rubbish principles of their own self appointed jathedhars. They spend hours on the internet doing nindhiya.. only last night someone emailed a 4 page essay on how Shaheed Bhai Bhagat Singh ji should not be declared a Sikh. lol.. at least he understood his responsibility as a Sikh to fight injustice and gave the ultimate sacrifice for Dharam, for me he is no different for the maha Shaheeds of 1984, he fought gulaami. what do these super-sikhs fight? couldn't even fight their own obesity!!!

We are taught such misconstrued versions of ithaas, Sikhi, hand-picked saakhis and gurbani quotes - favoring Jeevan sakhis written by individuals with premeditated conclusions over real Banis, Banis of Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji maharaaaj. This leaves are youth with a confused, contradictory social outlook, and unable to determine what social responsibilities they should adhere to.

Well things wont change as long as no harm comes from what modern day Sikhs do. If things get harder, Sikhs will either have to start doing things or face the consequences of their interpretation of 'hukam'.

Exactly !

I seen some religious sikhs they use this "hukam" concept as a scapegoat for their own shortcomings and lethargy !

Its a shame that people rely on hukam for what they cannot do !

Exactly !

I seen some religious sikhs they use this "hukam" concept as a scapegoat for their own shortcomings and lethargy !

Its a shame that people rely on hukam for what they cannot do !

Nothing is beyond Hukm. Even effort is within Hukm. Your ego is making it harder for you to understand.

Believing in Hukm doesn't mean stop doing effort. On our level, we must follow Dharam. But not only outcome, but doing Dharm too is part of Hukm. Accepting Hukm does not make you weak. It makes you stronger. It makes you realize that source of your strength is infinite.