Innocent Question...

googleme

Howdy hi neighboureenos!

As im a non-sikh, my knowledge on the significance of certain practices is somewhat low...

I wanted to know:

Is it true or false that the holy food in your religious domain is stirred with the ceremonial dagger?

If true, why is this done and is there any spiritual significance for this?

Google me if you think im all that!

This is correct as this strengthen it symbolically, before distribution, kada prasad should be touched with the point of a kirpan which is a ceremonial sword or dagger worn by all baptised Sikhs.

ps dont be disheartened by the very few rude people we are not all the same

• 3 weeks later...

there ae 2 things that are braught in fromt of guruji to do bhorg, --> langar, and prashaad. there are other things that are dont in front of guruji such as the lives of his gursikh, we give our heads to guruji, at the amrit sunchaar infront of guruji. this is y we bow (well this is y those ppl who know about why they should bow, bow) .

we do porg to offer food to guruji ; this is when the kirpaan is used (not dagger - a dagger is sumin else). the word bhagauti is ittrative in many forms of metaphore. god himself, the power of god, the vessel through which the power of god is rachaa'ed (rachaa = to create). in this case, the kirpaan.

if you are hndu, you should be familar with the concept of a 'varat' meaning that the wives do not eat before the husband. this is not in sikhism, as we only have parvaaha for our guru.

there is soething called seet prashaad back in the days, guru gobind singh ji used to bless the food i.e. eat, and then that food was distributed in the sangat. this is the blessed food i.e. langar. this still goes on today, the bessings from guru ji is given from the offering of food to them (guruji). this is blesed food given to the sangat.

prashaad is different. its not langar. it is made by the recitation of bani, as well as naam. it is the mael of the four elements, fire, earth, water and air. fire from the heat to cook it, and earth as in rocks i.e. sugar, and maida, and air from the stiring. bringing these four together plus the bani that is read, makes it prashaad. the coming together of these four elements, not only have the capacity to hold a lot of kirpa, but it gives insight and information and describes on he intracacies on the soul and akaal purakh. the dificulity of the mergance. its not easy to rachaa prashaad. it is tough to walk the green mile (as they say). ingredants are simple, and somthing wil be made. but the extent to which prashaad is 'correct', is hard. thoughts and eyes are to be controled. which is why oly amridhari and rehet behet gursikhs are to prepare prashaad.

i am against making prashaad souly for the taste at the homes of may ppl as to make prashad is a totally diferent ball game to make sum food. it is a utam sucham seva, reserved for the people who can accept the responsibility.

its more painstaking than making a miniture for 5 hours. lota concentration is needed.

as a side note, i have heard that guru gobind singh ji used to do the porg with the kirpaan as a sarabloh kirpaan (ferrous iron kirpaan) so that it would show any poison in the prashaad put in by peole who wanted to assinate the guru because, th poisons available showed up when the kirpaan was put into the prashaad. but this is what iv heard.

lets do porg to ourselves. so we can finish off our calimaties.

gurfateh :yeehaw:

:)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• I was searching igurbani.com which gives correct pronunciation of Gurbani. I can’t remember all of it at once. I guess it relies on more practice, like more Sehaj Paths. The meaning becomes clearer. I have noticed slight variants in it. This could be because it’s written in old Punjabi.  
    • Veer Manpreet Singh, a lay preacher, claims that -Sikhs aren't supposed to worship Guru Granth Sahib ji. -We are only supposed to worship God as is written in Guru Granth Sahib ji. -We only "revere" Guru Granth Sahib ji.     He says a lot of other things in this video, some are good refutations of Hindu superstitions, but the reformers often go too far. Anyways, what he is saying about not worshipping Guru Granth Sahib ji is totally wrong. The reason is Guru Granth Sahib ji is Guru. Guru is Satguru. Satguru is God. We worship God. Therefore, we also worship Satguru (Guru Granth Sahib ji).   There are innumerable verses in Gurbani equating God and Guru. ਗੁਰੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਡੁਬਦਾ ਲਏ ਤਰਾਇ ॥੨॥ The Guru is the Supreme Lord and the Transcendent Master. The Guru floats (saves) the drowning one. p49   ਗੁਰੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਣੁ ॥ Know the Guru and God as One. p864   ਗੁਰ ਨਾਲਿ ਤੁਲਿ ਨ ਲਗਈ ਖੋਜਿ ਡਿਠਾ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡੁ ॥ There is no one at par with the Guru. I have searched and seen the whole universe. p49 (If the Guru is the greatest in the whole universe, shouldn't we worship the Guru?)   I'd like to ask Manpreet Singh what is worship? Any reasonable definition would include obeisance, remembrance, and praise. Those are exactly the same things Gurbani says to do regarding Guru! Remembrance and obeisance: ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਅਪਨਾ ਸਦ ਸਦਾ ਸਮ੍ਹਾਰੇ ॥ Ever, ever, I think of the True Guru, ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਚਰਨ ਕੇਸ ਸੰਗਿ ਝਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ and the Guru's feet I brush with my head's hair. p387   Praise: ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਆਪਿ ॥ The Guru himself is the transcendent Lord and the supreme master. ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਜਾਪਿ ॥੪॥੧੬॥੬੭॥ Throughout the eight watches of the day, O Nanak meditate thou on the Guru. p387   In fact, Gurbani says the way to find God is to worship (puja) of Guru: ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੇ ਚਰਨ ਧੋਇ ਧੋਇ ਪੂਜਹੁ ਇਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਲਹੁ ਰੇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Washing and bathing the True Guru's feet, worship thou them. In this way thou shall obtain my Lord Master. Pause. p1118   Could it be any clearer that we are to worship Guru ji?
    • Bro, reciting a shorter Chaupai Sahib is hardly "anti-Dasam". It's fine to argue that the longer Chaupai is more traditional, but the short one isn't anti-Dasam. That's like claiming shorter Rehras is anti-Guru Granth Sahib ji just because there are fewer selections from Guru Granth Sahib. It might not be traditional, but it's not anti-Guru Granth Sahib. I prefer the longer versions, but let's not exaggerate. Every tradition has a slightly different Rehras version. Nanaksar vs Taksal vs Nihangs and so on. The basic template for Rehras is at the beginning of Guru Granth Sahib ji. Later, Chaupai Sahib was added and Anand Sahib always follows as the end of a process. Then some sangats added more saloks to start Rehras and others were added at the end. Some additional selections from Dasam Bani were also added, but it wasn't the same ones for every sangat. The important thing is to not hate on each other for these variations.
    • Umm, so you're upset that this jatha did Chaupai the same way it's being done at Harimandar Sahib for 100 years? Shouldn't you be upset at the manager of Darbar Sahib? I'm not saying that Sikhs who are aware of certain issues shouldn't do the longer Chaupai, but there are only so many battles you can fight. Instead of calling some jatha traitors because they're doing the (for better or worse) "standard" Chauapai published by the SGPC, it would be better to change things from the central point. You can't fault the average Sikh for picking up the average Gutka and doing paath.
    • It's the same here in Toronto. Alot of the gudwaras here are political orientated and get tons of funding from the government-probably want them stay hush hush with all the BS that has been happening with India.  These guys are skewing gurbani. A complaint was sent to a ragi singh a couple of days ago in regards to a hukamnama. 

Important Information

Terms of Use