What Is Life Like For Sikhs In The Uk (In Particular, Compared To The Us)?

californiasardar1

I was born in the US and have lived here my entire life. I've often found it frustrating that 99.9% of Americans do not know who we are. Before 9/11, they just had no idea or opinion. After 9/11, almost all Americans thought we were Muslims. I've also often wished that there was a higher density of Punjabi people around. In most parts of America, the Sikh community is spread out. You don't run into other Sikhs often unless you make the effort to (or if you live in, say, Yuba City).

I've often wondered how life might be different for Sikhs in the UK. I've never been there, but I know Sikhs have been settled in the UK for a longer period of time and seem to have more of a presence there. I have the following questions:

1. Do most white people in the UK know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims? Do Sikhs in the UK often get confused with Muslims?

2. It is my understanding that there are several cities/neighborhoods (Leicester, Southall, etc.) with a high density of Sikhs. Is this true? If so, do you think that such communities make it easier for its residents to preserve our religion and culture and in general provide for a nice environment for Sikhs?

3. It seems almost all young Sikhs in the US have parents who were born in India. However, I'm guessing there are a large number of young Sikh adults in the UK whose parents were also born in the UK. To what degree have these people appeared to have preserved their religion and culture? What trends, if any, have you noticed about this generation?

4. This overlaps with my other thread, but how traditional/religious do the younger Sikh women seem to be? How do they feel about Sardars?

In America i can imagine ignorant white / black/ hispanic americans do consider Sikhs to be Muslims or Arabs there have been numerous incidents where all 3 racial groups have attacked innocent Sikhs since 9/11 thinking Sikhs will not do anything back. Sikhs have to stand up for their rights and come together and fight or at least educate and invite locals to become Sikhs / learn about the faith. This is the mistake you American Sikhs made you spread so far out that if any incident takes place your so stretched that you have no numbers to draw on for support. In the 80s we had national front skinhead racists who came to attack southall, Sikhs along with other asians and anti-racist whites banded together to fight them. After numerous street battles over the years Sikhs become established and fully integrated into society.

And yes I'm guessing it is easier for Sikhs in the UK to live a life without fear or harassment than in America these days because we have as you say a bigger density of population in cities and we have a long history with the British white people. We have fought as foes (Sikh empire vs British East India companys armed forces) and fought as allies in both world wars. The British white elders respect this fact however the generations below them do not realise the contribution of Sikhs towards the war effort and dont really care because their generation of idiots who worship celebs on tv. So you get young British whites who tend to be ignorant of who Sikhs are and what relevance Sikhs have to British society and history. They are not taught what Sikhs did for the British in history books, I remember being taught history at school and it was all focused around kings, queens of England, middle ages wars with Muslims, slave trade, various European wars and world wars with Germany.

I was born in the US and have lived here my entire life. I've often found it frustrating that 99.9% of Americans do not know who we are. Before 9/11, they just had no idea or opinion. After 9/11, almost all Americans thought we were Muslims. I've also often wished that there was a higher density of Punjabi people around. In most parts of America, the Sikh community is spread out. You don't run into other Sikhs often unless you make the effort to (or if you live in, say, Yuba City).

I've often wondered how life might be different for Sikhs in the UK. I've never been there, but I know Sikhs have been settled in the UK for a longer period of time and seem to have more of a presence there. I have the following questions:

1. Do most white people in the UK know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims? Do Sikhs in the UK often get confused with Muslims?

2. It is my understanding that there are several cities/neighborhoods (Leicester, Southall, etc.) with a high density of Sikhs. Is this true? If so, do you think that such communities make it easier for its residents to preserve our religion and culture and in general provide for a nice environment for Sikhs?

3. It seems almost all young Sikhs in the US have parents who were born in India. However, I'm guessing there are a large number of young Sikh adults in the UK whose parents were also born in the UK. To what degree have these people appeared to have preserved their religion and culture? What trends, if any, have you noticed about this generation?

4. This overlaps with my other thread, but how traditional/religious do the younger Sikh women seem to be? How do they feel about Sardars?

1. To be frank, most of them couldnt give a monkeys. Brown folk are brown folk and not welcome in large parts of the UK outside of major urban areas.

2. No, most of these places turn into dumps because of lack of funding and ethnic tensions. If anything many young sikhs develop inferiority complexes whilst growing up in these places and take it out on their own community when they grow up. Tons of self-hating Sikhs in the UK. If they dont turn into coconuts there is a high chance they will have other problems as immigrant areas dont have the same facilities and good schools that other areas do. You'd see what I mean if you came here yourself.

3. Most of that generation are the politically correct types who have done more harm than good. As for preserving tradition and faith, that varies from family to family.

4. Lol, it varies from girl to girl. But many of them have their attitudes flavoured by their own family or experiences when in India.

hmm not all uk sikhs come from India, many come from Africa and Afghanistan. And yes, we have cultural differences with them. Although the African sikhs respect turban more than indian immigrants, culturally they are more lacking than indian families, but indian families are also catching up to coconut thinking. Afghan sikhs highly respect turban, and their culture is a different sort, not indian and not really western either, though very urban business man like culture but the rest would be afghan/pashto culture I presume. I guess we can learn from each other, but such a shame that those that come from Guru's dharti are actually setting the worst example for turban amongst other things. And ultimately, people pick up the bad company first...

1. In my opinion yes most white people I know do know the difference between Sikh, Hindu and Muslim. Of course Immigrant communities tend to live in large urban areas so maybe in rural areas where there are no 'coloured folk', they might not of the differences. I have been to villages and get questions from white people, if I type it out it might sound racist BUT I can assure you it was not meant to be. You can tell by someones tone or the way they interact if they are genuinely curious or trying to offend.

2. In most large cities there are areas with high Sikh concentration. It's a given if there are more of a certain group of people it is easier for them to carry out their cultural practicies.

3. Both my parents were born in UK. My grandad came here to study. My Nana came after partition to make money. My parents weren't really religious growing up as it was more about survival not money wise but just in fitting in. It wasn't till the late 60's 70's when large sacle immigration happened did racism come to play. I was born in 80 and im the yongest in my whole family including cousins on my parternal side. Growing up I only spoke punjabi with my bibi my nana's family moved back to India in early 80's. Only rarely went Gurdwara.

However, when there is a large community it's easier to get back into your religion and culture. My parents years back were typical punjabi, but not so long ago they took amrit and are proper Sikhs. It's because of them I found an urge to learn about Sikhi. I went with them on yatra with my kids and wife a few years back in India. I also went and spent a gap year in India when I was at uni to connect with my culture. Back then it was cultural not so much religious.

I've noticed alot of people who are now in their early 60's late 50's and born in UK actually want to learn more about their background as growing up they were neither fully here nor there as they werent white so not english and as they weren't born in India and came here not fully punjabi, as they spoke mainly english amongst themselves.

4. I tohught everyone looked up to sardars. At school anyone with kesh always had their back covered as they were one of us.