Facebook!?

Hau Apraadhi

VJKKVJKF Jee

According to Sikhi, do the pros of Facebook outweigh the cons?

i.e.

You might be inspired by a shabad that somebody has just posted - good.

You might get caught up in a life-wasting useless conversation - bad

It's a brilliant way of knowing what's happening if something ever kicks off (part of being tyaar bar tyaar I would think) - good

You might accidentally read/see something wrong that somebody has posted. - bad

There are many more pros as well as cons I can think about, but I'm not sure which of there are more.

Because some people may use it purely for the good things, but there's a possibility of getting involved with the bad.

Does Facebook have a significant negative/positive effect on youth today?

Personally, I wish Facebook was never created! But every time I go to deactivate my account, I think of all the positive things that make me want to keep it because they are very helpful things....

I would really like sangath's opinions...

VJKKVJKF Jee

To consider Facebook to be part of an individual's Sikhi "routine" is frankly 'taking the mick' as they say around my area. Not saying you are, Hau Apraadhi, but I can imagine many do.

Although I suppose it's not intended for curmudgeons such as myself. I consider it an unnecessary diversion, of which there are many these days.

I consider it an unnecessary diversion

I agree with that completely. But then the point of having it to attain information of what's happening seemed to me to be quite important, like when the riots happened, people knew which Gurdware help was needed at because of the communications through Facebook, which was the only easiest way to get info out to people etc

I agree with that completely. But then the point of having it to attain information of what's happening seemed to me to be quite important, like when the riots happened, people knew which Gurdware help was needed at because of the communications through Facebook, which was the only easiest way to get info out to people etc

Yes, I guess in situations such as riots it would prove to be a valuable resource.

I wouldn't really associate Facebook with Sikhi...instead of saying "is Facebook allowed in Sikhi" or whatever instead look at it from your own perspective. If for YOU the pros outweigh the cons of having one, then keep it. If not, delete it. The same goes for much of life

facebook is fantastic for parchaar....the world is moveing forward very fast...we should be taking sikhi wherever we can be it on the internet or the outside world...for instance alot of the kharkoo minded gursikh youth befriend each other...they help pass literature and sikh news reports around very quickly....this kind of networking only benefits us...however if people are on facebook for friends or to make friends then that is pointless and a waste of time..if you are on there to do parchaar about sikhi to non sikhs and sikhs or do parchaar on political solutions to the sikh nations troubles...then facebook is great...i myself have witnessed alot of non religous sikhs become more religous via social networking sites...

I wouldn't really associate Facebook with Sikhi...instead of saying "is Facebook allowed in Sikhi" or whatever instead look at it from your own perspective. If for YOU the pros outweigh the cons of having one, then keep it. If not, delete it. The same goes for much of life

You are absolutely right.

People need to grow up and be responsible enough to know the difference between right and wrong.

And what has facebook to do with Sikhism.

Facebook can be about your kirt, you need to make links and business network in the working environment. In uni you need to find people for homework, help contact it can be better then getting all the random peoples phone numbers and easy contact people. As for your network it defines your sangat and shows you where you are and help you meet people who want to be like, who your role models are.

facebook - as all internet mediums including emails - all virtual - therefore cannot be trusted. b

face to face communication is best of all as it's real not virtual

facebook doomed to fail.

facebook has zilch to do with sikhe and parchar cannot be increased via it no way.