Misl'S

Wahegurujikakhalsa Wahegurujikifateh

Just a thought that I would like some opinions on! With the fragmentation of the Khalsa and Sikh nation, as well as the spread of our brothers and sisters across the globe, do you think there is once again a need for the creation of misl's? It seems all too often these days that we hear and read about someone somewhere both internally within the paanth or externally doing some sort of beadbi or bahdmashi. So would a custodian or group such as misl's within each region, area or continent be effective enough to police such issues?

I think it is important that we start discussing positive steps forward rather than just highlighting negative actions taking place around us without offering solutions or actually doing something to counter that negativity...

Great idea! Would be good if a world wide Misl system could be established but there is also a danger of it being controlled or infiltrated by corrupt individuals from the likes of the SGPC. Presently the wider world Sikh community is independent and free to protest and voice their concerns regarding Sikh and Panthic issues but this could change if we were to be under an global umbrella group. Controlling such an organisation would require clean people and this something we lack.

Great idea! Would be good if a world wide Misl system could be established but there is also a danger of it being controlled or infiltrated by corrupt individuals from the likes of the SGPC. Presently the wider world Sikh community is independent and free to protest and voice their concerns regarding Sikh and Panthic issues but this could change if we were to be under an global umbrella group. Controlling such an organisation would require clean people and this something we lack.

Exactly. The potential for corruption and power-hungry individuals to abuse the position of misl leader, etc., is clear for everybody to see. Keep it simple, keep it Akal Takhat. Everyone can utlise air travel these days (unlike in the Misl days) so there's no excuse for Sikhs to be disconnected from their spiritual base. If disciplinary issues do occur then they should be handled by Akal Takhat Sahib.

Wahegurujikakhalsa Wahegurujikifateh

Thanks paaji's... I agree that a group be it Misl or whatever you want to call it is open to being infiltrated by corrupt or money hungry individuals but that said who do you think that runs the houses where our Maharaj Guru Granth Sahib Ji stays every day & night right now??

Akaal thakt sahib is indeed the throne of Akaal Purakh and our spiritual base and should ultimately handle disciplinary issues, however forgive me for my boldness but sometimes the decisions that are made in Akaal Thakt Sahib seem to be a little too late or as lip service rather than a command that the perpetrators in lands far from Punjaab seem to fear or on occasion take seriously.

A Sikh &/or Khalsa can not soley be judged by their words and outward uniform alone but must equally and probably more so be judged by their actions and deeds. All too often we entrust people who clearly are not good human beings let alone good Gursikhs with the leadership of our religion, institutions etc. and then compain and moan about these people when they contiously let us and our paanth down. Akaal Thakt Sahib like most sikh institutions these days are run by corrupt individuals and we are loosing more and more grip day by day. Real change is needed and needed pronto!!!

I agree that change is needed fast but in order for real change to manifest it will ultimately need to happen from within.  We as Sikhs  from outside of Punjab are a minority and our pressure from outside has very little affect on the decision makers in Punjab, the real challenge is waking the people of Punjab to take action against the corrupt SGPC to free the Akal Takht Sahib.   

Any kind of Global Misls will need the backing of the Akal Takht Sahib in order to get the right recognition and if the Misls start to challenge the SGPC in any way or form then they will face the risk of being ex communicated.  At present the Global Sikhs do not face these consequences when Jathedars are cornered when visiting oversees, as most question them as individuals and not as organisations.  Small individual efforts like these disturb the peace of Jathedars as there is little that they can do as far as disciplining Sikhs when they have no control over the Gurughars abroad.

The SGPC would probably back a Sikh Misl system so they can control the minds of Global Sikhs and put an end to Jathedars facing harassment from overseas.  The first demand for such a system from SGPC would be toatal control of foreign Gurughars.   

It's hard enough to digest that Badal controls Punjabs Gurughars.  I wouldn't want to open up the doorways for Badal calling the shots in the West.

Education is what is needed and we all need to make greater efforts to educate the youth of Punjab on the importance of the vote in the SGPC elections. This should be more important for us than Punjab elections or our local elections abroad as the SGPC candidates are the policy makers when it comes to our faith. Our top priority right now should be divising plans to seperate SGPC from the Akali Dal so it can be an independent organisation free from Punjab politics.

Guest KopSingh

Weren't some of the original misl leaders that?

yea i thort that too, remember some misl leaders even sided with musalmaans wen it came to maharaja ranjit singh (if im wrong bowt this, then im sorry).

Guest KopSingh

regarding the original question, arent all these parbhandak committees (SGPC, PGPC (pakistan), DGPC (delhi), HGPC (haryana)) kinda like misls too? they all have a rule in their respective areas, and then all link to discuss certin matters. im not saying these r succesful, but jus sayin, we kinda hav a misl type of set-up, but obviously the most important one (SGPC) is a disgrace, look how much rubbish and gandhay ppl they have allowed to visit harmandar sahib in last few yrs. im stil shocked that they even allowed indira back inside after she caused destruction, n more recently, advani.

We have gurdwara commitees, presidents, the sikh council many sikh organisations we already have a structure. Those misls where people from each region who fought hard and people followed them. These general were on the front line who would fight first not sit in the back and watch others fight. We have heirachy today such as singh sabha, we have loads of groups and babas and still nothing happens. As for police we have to be responsible for ourselves no one is going to do anything we have to do everything ourself, people will be lazy we have to sort out our own mess. We never had a police force we did our own things back then and now. We have groups in the police force and other departments but when something comes up an argument comes about as it did with misls but misls knew the basic ground of the panth and protect harmandar sahib and gurdwaras. These days we attack gurdwaras ourself.