What's The Criteria To Apply For Sgpc Seat? /also Bunch Of Operational Questions?

N30S1NGH

Dear Veerji, WJKK WJKF

As per info available with me regarding SGPC, i m sharing with you as below.....

SGPC was formed on 15th Nov 1920 when Jathedar Teja Singh Bhuchar called a meeting of all Sikkh bodies & organizations at Akal Takht where it was decided to oust the pro-government priests from other gurudwaras and to restore the management of Sikkh gurudwaras according to Gurmat Maryada; and hence formed a committee of 175 members to run their management.

It is a religious autonomous institute of Sikkhs. It has its own Gurudwara Judicial Commission.

Presently it has total 190 members out of which 170 are elected, 15 nominated and 5 members are Singh sahibans who don’t have voting rights.

Next month on 14th December, 1920 a political wing was formed to carry out the agenda of the SGPC, which is today known sadly as SAD. Initially it was just a panth, but after 1947 when the scenario changed the SAD become a full fledged political party in Punjab, neighboring states and is a partner of a coalition at national level; and the latest about SAD is history which everyone knows about.

Pbhul-chuk maaf

Very simple to get on ballot to run for SGPC member as independent however they feel pain and helpless to voice their opinions as there are extremely low in number as they do not belonging to akali dal. It is getting very tough to do so as political party both Badal (SAD) and Sarna (Congress) put millions in campaigns in trying to steal majority of seats.

Akali Dal got 157 out of 170+ seats in SGPC house.

As far as i know there never been a case where we saw any problem in getting anything passed in SGPC house. Budget of 600+ crore gets passed by majority votes and it doesn't take more than couple of days or weeks. There is always huge majority of one side group (Akali Dal) in sgpc house way before badal clan (not official belong to that party but every sikh was part of akali dal in old times).

How to get elected?

Do social work in rural areas. People will vote for a person if they genuinely consider them one of their own and are liberal/diplomatically and are not selfish. Sarna from delhi tried very hard along to get into sgpc.. Even having unlimited funds and center support, rural folks reject him as he is outsider and never did anything for people of punjab.

I believe someone with mass follower base such as "Mata Kaulan Trust by Gurikbal Singh" or of Trust of Bhai Ranjit SIngh Dhaderanwalay can easily raise sgpc candidates and take fair amount of sgpc seats..

The system for SGPC elections should be changed immediately.

Political parties i.e. SAD, Congress should have no part in the elections.

A SGPC candidate should be Amritdhari and keep basic Rehit ie Amritvela, no beadbi of kesh whether male or female, Kakars, abstain from intoxicants etc. They should have good knowledge in regards to Sikh History and Gurmat. They should be a good paathi ie be able to paath of larivaar saroop.

Being an SGPC member is no game, it is a serious job. Therefore it requires serious Gursikhs who have a passion for Gurmat and parchar of Gurmat.

I would rather have 5 good Gursikh SGPC members rather than a 100 average ones.

The first step is to remove political parties from the process. Otherwise the SGPC members and Akal Takht Jathedars will remain a slaves to the political leaders.

One question - can UK, Canadian and US citizen Sikhs run for SGPC? (basically any NRIs?)

I know of some distant relatives that fought in the SGPC elections in 2011 on behalf of SAD(B) that are from So-Cal. Really, really rich people.

I wonder if it'd make all the difference if an honest and intelligent Sikh from abroad is able to run for SGPC elections. Imagine what kind of difference just having one Khalsa in the SGPC would make all the difference. Someone steadfast and yet humble, someone knows and yet is still a student.

Perhaps we need to focus on this. The positive points is the Indian government and SAD(B) (and punjab police) and the fake babay like dhumma will have to think 10x before messing with an NRI with massive support from abroad.

Last time i know that baba dhumma, a novioce in taksal managed to get seat of jatehdar was quite shocking and surprised many. He is now head of taksal and he carries american passport.

I am not sure but i think it might be a problem if NRI runs for sgpc because of visa restrictions. I will ask around.