Can We Force Sangat Tv + Sikh Channel To Merge?

Good topic/ ideologies but can't see it happening sorry to speak. The individuals behind these channels have too much ego to merge. Sikh channel try to get one over sangat tv and sangat tv try to get one over on sikh channel. Bit like children in a sweet shop.

Singhni, This is exactly the fear I would have if a merger came about. The merged channel could implode!

Anyway, like I say, there are millions and millions and millions of pounds we Sikhs could stop spending on rubbish which we could give to Charity instead. So let's not think of reasons for us to pay less to our Sikh Media. We're already the tightest misers of the lot when it comes to supporting our Sikh Media (We UK Sikhs should be absolutely ashamed of ourselves and just simply support one of our Sikh TV Stations!). The two channels raise a great deal of awarness for charitable causes so keeping them going will help poorer people more than if we bring them down. Also, we should only have the minimum and most basic packages on SKY. With the money we save on the sports channels and movie channels and all the other packages we have over the VERY basic package we could send to charity. We know that the extra packages run into millions of pounds just for the Sikhs. However, nobody is saying cancel the packages above the very basic package on SKY so you can give the money to charity. That's because we Sikhs don't hate the premium sports and movie packages on SKY, we just hate our Sikh Channels and just turn into poor beggers, at the bottom of the pile, when it comes to our Sikh Media. Otherwise, we are happy to waste money on all the unnecessary rubbish we spend our money on, just to keep up with the Joneses (or Johals).

Justice will only come through Media !!

WLS Ji, if it brings unity then I too am for it 100%. However, we need true unity rather than infighting in the new merged channel if there was one, that could bring it down from the inside. I can show you a post where I said they should merge if the only alternative was they both go if they don't merge.

>>Agreed Paji

The only other thing I would say is, we should not become tight litte misers when it comes to our Sikh Channels only. We could have both channels easily if we just starting spending less on boose, cigerretes, cars, big houses, expensive clothes and hair cuts, expensive holidays, expensive meals and all the other selfish stuff we waste our money on, by over indulging, just to prove we are the best!

>>As far as Gursikhs go i don't think too many are spending money on booze, cigarettes, expensive cars, clothes, haircuts, expensive holidays, restuarants, monster weddings etc ... but i take your point that a lot of sehajdhari sikhs indeed are ... however, I would exclude your categorization of investing in property as a waste of money. Us making money in order to assist those in need of help is key. I don't know old you are ... but I would urge you + all sikhs to clean up our credit files ... and look to buy a property soon for the long term. Investment in property and shares is something we need to actively do provided our ultimate aim is not material enrichment of ourselves but to try and copy what the Gates Foundation, for example, are about or in terms of being able to give more to Khalsa Aid.

If both channels merged as a body, but kept 840 and 847 it could work really well in that one channel could have more Punjabi shows and one more English shows (Gurmukhi/Gurbani would be on both in equal amounts though). That way no Sikh in Britian would ever feel like they were 'missing out' at any given time! Because at the moment the English Speaking Youngsters can't understand what is being said when a Brilliant Punjabi programmes come on, and the Punjabi Speaking Sikhs can't understand when a Brilliant English Speaking programmes come on. There's always one these sections, who aren't bi-lingual, missing out. Now that would be a great reason to merge, but keep two channels!

Spending money on Sikh Media is brilliant compared to all the rubbish I have mentioned in blue. Why cut back on our Sikh Media before we cut back on the crap?. There's plenty of crappy areas we can save money on, before we start pulling back on our media!

Justice will only come through our Media

>>Good points and it would be cool to have an English channel and a Punjabi channel but I still think from the heart + believe that if we could conserve the extra money for charitable causes instead that would reap greater rewards ... as individuals might waste their money ... but Sikh institutions simply cannot be doing the same. But no doubt about it we definitely need at least one united station to continue ... as the good impact the media is having results in its own positive feedback cycle.

UKLondonSikh Ji, the point you raise about property in your 3rd paragraph above, and how Sikhs need to invest in their own financial strenght so that they actually have some money to give to those less fortunate than themselves is a very valid point. You are right! you do not have to be a poor begger with no money yourself to find God. Your are right, Sikhs and not meant to be a weight on society by being in need themselves, instead they should make themselves more than self reliant and actually help those less fortunate than themselves. Good Point !

However, the other crapy stuff I mention is definitely something we could cut back on to help our Sikh Media, As Sikh Media will create more Sikhs, and keep more Sikhs in Sikhi, and, as history proves, the more Sikhs there are, the better off everybody is "sarbat da balla". If we have no Sikh Media and are exposed to other media we will all fall out of Sikhi, as we will be exposed to non-Sikh Media all the time. This is true simply because everybody has a television in their house and everybody has it on for many hours a day. So, we have got to make sure they have the 'SIKHI OPTION' on their television. For it we don't, every Sikh will just end up watching non-Sikh television becuase they are going to have the telly on for so many hours a day, no matter what, so it may as well be a Sikh Channel they have on!

UKLondonSikh Ji, the point you raise about property in your 3rd paragraph above, and how Sikhs need to invest in their own financial strenght so that they actually have some money to give to those less fortunate than themselves is a very valid point. You are right! you do not have to be a poor begger with no money yourself to find God. Your are right, Sikhs and not meant to be a weight on society by being in need themselves, instead they should make themselves more than self reliant and actually help those less fortunate than themselves. Good Point !

>>I'm glad you agree Paji. For any Sikhs you know, the main thing is that they maintain a good credit file before it comes to them applying for a mortgage :-)

However, the other crapy stuff I mention is definitely something we could cut back on to help our Sikh Media, As Sikh Media will create more Sikhs, and keep more Sikhs in Sikhi, and, as history proves, the more Sikhs there are, the better off everybody is "sarbat da balla".

>>100% agree with you Paji

If we have no Sikh Media and are exposed to other media we will all fall out of Sikhi, as we will be exposed to non-Sikh Media all the time. This is true simply because everybody has a television in their house and everybody has it on for many hours a day. So, we have got to make sure they have the 'SIKHI OPTION' on their television. For it we don't, every Sikh will just end up watching non-Sikh television becuase they are going to have the telly on for so many hours a day, no matter what, so it may as well be a Sikh Channel they have on!

>>That's a very valid point that with 100 plus non-Sikh stations ... the more channels we have (in an ideal world) ... the statistically greater chances of people gaining knowledge of Sikhi ... but I think we have to remember the financial reality ... and one channel ... with the rest ploughed into sustainable Sikh charitable activities will reap more benefits in the long term, imho ... but I get where you're coming from :-)