Honeymoon

Guest Noisy Singh

Guest Noisy Singh

Hello

Finally, after years of photoshopping and visiting far reaching restidar's akhand paat, I have managed to tie down a reasonable rishta.

What is the sangat's view on having honeymoons?

Any suggestions? Harmandir sahib? Maldives? Just to get to know her you see. It's only so much you can speak to a photoshopped jpeg before marriage.

Guest West London Singh

Hello

What is the sangat's view on having honeymoons?

I don't know what country your'e from but here in England, because christianity hardly exists, Paganism and witchcraft etc are very popular and common belief systems. The favoured alcoholic drink of these pagans and witches, especially at Stonehenge during the summer solstice, is Mead. In fact, 'mead' is known as the devil worshippers favourite drink. It is a sort of mulled wine made from honey.

You see.....this is the story behind the 'honeymoon'. 'Honeymoons' came into existence because it was the time, straight after marriage, for the newlyweds to spend many days and nights getting drunk on mead and staying drunk on mead....frolicking.

I didn't go on no honeymoon......Neither should you. Let your knowledge of things work for you. Put knowledge to good use. I always do. I had just graduated and had no money for a honeymoon anyway. It helped that I had enough knowledge to be able to justify not going on a honeymoon.

Guest ARGH

There's nothing wrong with going on holiday after getting married. You're not engaging in a Pagan ritual, there are references to a honeymoon in the Bible amongst other sources, so don't let that put you off.

If you want to spend some time getting to know the person, then by all means go on holiday. It think it's actually advisable if you've had an arranged marriage because it gives you time to chill and get to know each other.

I personally hate the word honeymoon, it's cringeworthy. But I don't think there's anything wrong with going on holiday to India and going to visit Harmandir Sahib. You could go and stay there for a week, spend morning Amritveleh there, do some seva, go to some programmes in Amritsar..nothing wrong with it.

We complicate things so much. It's just a bloody holiday.

There's nothing wrong with going on holiday after getting married. You're not engaging in a Pagan ritual, there are references to a honeymoon in the Bible amongst other sources, so don't let that put you off.

Why should he be following whats written in the 'bible' ? Do Christians base their decisions on what is written in Sri Guru Granth sahib ji ?

Secondly, practically every Christian tradition is based on a pagan ritual. It was the way in which Christianity got its recruits....by pandering to the pagan traditions of the masses. Hell, even the made up story of Jesus himself is just copied from things that happened to Pagan gods. Unless, of course, you think the following is just a gigantic coincidence :

The most popular 'god' at the time of Jesus, was 'Mithras'. The popular legend about Mithras was that he was born in a stable in a miraculous virgin birth, to which 3 Zoarasthian kings came to visit him after being guided by a star. He was said to be the son of god sent down to deliver mankind from their sins. His speciality was to forgive people of their sins. He died and came back alive for a few hours 3 days later. I could go on but I can't be bothered.

The fact is that the word 'honeymoon' literally means the period that newlyweds go off and stay completely drunk on Mead (very strong honey wine). A period of drunken fun. You can dress it up any way you want by calling it a 2 week vacation in Hawaii but a rose by any other name is still a rose.

At the end of the day it is a battle of civilisations. A battle of cultures. In the white mans culture it is simply 2 people getting married. In my culture it is 2 families. in our culture the period immediately following the weddings is for the families to get to know each other and visititors to get to know the new bride.

The day the white man starts to follow my traditions is the day I'll start to follow their pagan traditions. Untill that day, to hell with their 'honey-wine drinking period after a wedding'.

Guest ARGH

Why should he be following whats written in the 'bible' ? Do Christians base their decisions on what is written in Sri Guru Granth sahib ji ?

Secondly, practically every Christian tradition is based on a pagan ritual. It was the way in which Christianity got its recruits....by pandering to the pagan traditions of the masses. Hell, even the made up story of Jesus himself is just copied from things that happened to Pagan gods. Unless, of course, you think the following is just a gigantic coincidence :

The most popular 'god' at the time of Jesus, was 'Mithras'. The popular legend about Mithras was that he was born in a stable in a miraculous virgin birth, to which 3 Zoarasthian kings came to visit him after being guided by a star. He was said to be the son of god sent down to deliver mankind from their sins. His speciality was to forgive people of their sins. He died and came back alive for a few hours 3 days later. I could go on but I can't be bothered.

The fact is that the word 'honeymoon' literally means the period that newlyweds go off and stay completely drunk on Mead (very strong honey wine). A period of drunken fun. You can dress it up any way you want by calling it a 2 week vacation in Hawaii but a rose by any other name is still a rose.

At the end of the day it is a battle of civilisations. A battle of cultures. In the white mans culture it is simply 2 people getting married. In my culture it is 2 families. in our culture the period immediately following the weddings is for the families to get to know each other and visititors to get to know the new bride.

The day the white man starts to follow my traditions is the day I'll start to follow their pagan traditions. Untill that day, to hell with their 'honey-wine drinking period after a wedding'.

I didn't say that he should go on a honeymoon specifically because it is written in the Bible. I said there are OTHER SOURCES which allude to the concept of a honeymoon other than Paganism. There is a significant difference. This also refutes your point that a honeymoon is exclusively a Pagan ritual.

I find it hilarious how you attribute the concept of a honeymoon to "white men" when such traditions were also followed by people in the Indian subcontinent. If a honeymoon is a period of a drunken fun, and I don't get drunk..am I still bowing to witchcraft and Paganism? What about white Sikhs? Can they go on a honeymoon because they are white and it's automatically part of their culture? You seem to be attributing white with Pagan and brown with Sikh/Punjabi. Little bit simplistic.

Using our common sense here..if something is not in line with Gurmat, I am not going to do it. Gurmat does not say that holidays are unacceptable, so if I want to take a holiday, I will take a holiday without feeling guilty about it.

Going back to the original posters question...

If we remove the word 'honeymoon' from this conversation (which in any case, should intelligently been viewed in it's evolved present understanding rather than stoneage or biblical root), then when a couple gets married, there is nothing wrong with the couple taking some time out to get to know each other. Doing so in a pleasant/scenic/relaxing environment can only help the couple focus on each other (outside of family/busy household environment) and lay a foundation of friendship.

As for newly married Amritdhari couples... what could possibly be a better way to start their life together than to do a yaatra of the divine households of God... have darshan of our Guru, do amritvela at Darbaar Sahib together, do Rehraas at Abchal Nagar and have sight of Dasmesh Pita via his beautiful Shastar, listen to the Guru's glorious shabd at Damdama Sahib, get the aseesan of puran Gursikhs and Mahapursh...? This trip is the most excellent thing a newly maried couple can do, lay a foundation of spirituality, have Guru's darshan together, recieve his baksheesh together.

you are hilarious! You are acting like a 10 year old kid..Let me ask you something...since you are so against the "white man", what on earth are you doing in London? go back to India so you can remain "pure". Seriously man...Gurbani teaches us to love and respect neighbors, and all you do is spit hate. Maybe you should stop watching tv and using the internet, since the white man invented these things.

Whats wrong with a couple going on a vacation after marriage to just relax? they are not gonna be getting drunk and practicing witchcraft. I honestly think you should be banned for causing dis-unity, and sptting out hate for white people.