Has Multiculturalism Failed In The Uk?

OzzySingh

Hi there Sikh Sangat community,

I occasionally like to see what's going on in the UK via the BBC/Guardian/Daily Mail websites and the one thing that never seems to stop cropping up in the news is the vast number of ethnically/racially incidents occurring all over the UK.

I believe David Cameron (the Brit PM) last year said in his inaugural speech as PM that multiculturalism had failed.

I myself can't help but agree.

Infact my family and I moved to Australia quite a few years back. Truth be told one of the main reasons we moved (alongside the awesome weather :p ) was that the UK had drastically changed for the worse as of recent times.

So yeah in a way, I do believe that Multiculralism has failed in the UK.

As for the why and how, I will gladly share with the community my personal opinions after having heard some of yours.

So my question to everyone reading this is 'Has Multiculralism failed in the UK and if so what could be the main causes for this?'

Furthermore is this something that can be improved/turned around?

Or maybe I don't know what the hell I'm in about and everything's is cool beans in the UK.

Now please dont get me confused or put words in my mouth. I'm not just trying to implicitly imply that this is the work of a certain minority group A or political group B.

Also please don't be shy as I would appreciate any and all input as long as it is not blatantly rude and unthoughtful.

Thank you for your time!

Multicultralism can only work if you exclude Pakistanis and Somilians and similar people, filthy people who cant mix tobe honest who woul want with these

bro, it is quite hateful thing to say another group of people are "filthy". That is not language appropriate for a Sikh to use, many non sikhs must read these forums, what impression will they get when they read such comments?

bro, it is quite hateful thing to say another group of people are "filthy". That is not language appropriate for a Sikh to use, many non sikhs must read these forums, what impression will they get when they read such comments?

i have 33 years experince of inner city/suburb birmingham i no what i talking about.

Too much immigration causes problems, and negative immigration like somilians and Pakistanis causes serious social problems.

They are alos the people that call other people infedels, so of cause multicultralisim cant work uf you include these.

Khalsa Ji

The immigrants to the UK have made a positive contribution to British society and the economy. We have the Jews , Sikhs , Hindus , muslims , and chinese etc. The negative aspects of mass immigration from the Asian sub continent can be seen in the anti social activities being engaged in by a minority of Pakistani origin immigrants. There was an article in the British broadsheets that the reason why the police didn't take such a hardline against the recent child grooming case was that they didn't want to "offend the Muslims". The British Govenment needs to deal with crime heavy handedly otherwise there are those who are blatantly abusing the system.

There are extreme right wing parties in the UK who seek to exploit such scenarios. On the one hand we have extreme right wingers and on the other we have system abusers owing to excessive leniancy. What is the solution? The extreme right wingers see every asian as a dirty P*ki and would love to expell every single one. The current Governments are too scared to be politically incorrect. What is the way forward?

^^^ I am not a BNP voter nor member however most papers and organisations termes the rochdale pedos as Asian, apart from the BNP, is said straight Muslim,

No left wing party like labour will ever sort this out esp Millaband, Straw and blair old school labour were ok.

We need someone right of centre like the Tory backbenchers or Ukip.

Multicultralism can only work if you exclude Pakistanis and Somilians and similar people, filthy people who cant mix tobe honest who woul want with these

paaji, i'd agree with, except u say pakistani, but pak panjabi/pathans r generally decent ppl, its these mirpuris, who r without a shadow the most horrible human beings ive ever ever ever ever come across. Disgusting ppl, who have embarrased their country & their religion, wat other community has boys who openely sell drugs, dont work, have 10 kids in 1 house, mum/dad rarely work, yet own bmws/mercs. If they do work, its in their chicken/chip shop, which is a front for selling drugs and keep quiet when their boys groom 12 yr old girls and force their girls 2 wear salwar kameez.

Khalsa Ji

The immigrants to the UK have made a positive contribution to British society and the economy. We have the Jews , Sikhs , Hindus , muslims , and chinese etc. The negative aspects of mass immigration from the Asian sub continent can be seen in the anti social activities being engaged in by a minority of Pakistani origin immigrants. There was an article in the British broadsheets that the reason why the police didn't take such a hardline against the recent child grooming case was that they didn't want to "offend the Muslims". The British Govenment needs to deal with crime heavy handedly otherwise there are those who are blatantly abusing the system.

There are extreme right wing parties in the UK who seek to exploit such scenarios. On the one hand we have extreme right wingers and on the other we have system abusers owing to excessive leniancy. What is the solution? The extreme right wingers see every asian as a dirty P*ki and would love to expell every single one. The current Governments are too scared to be politically incorrect. What is the way forward?

I agree you with you that the problem is indeed arising due to anti social activities by a minority of Pakistani immigrants but as for the solution I reckon the UK needs to see how other countries have dealt with it.

Over here take Australia for example, if you do your homework you will realise Australia also is a very diverse country but we have always had a simple yet strong philosophy for the rest of the world

"Don't bother coming here if you don't intend to integrate and adapt to our culture. We don't want you! If you do adapt and make the effort, we will accept you as our own"

Now some may view that as racist but it actually isn't. What it actually is, is taking a tough stance on people who come to Australia and then suddenly demand special privileges as seen by members of certain minorities in the UK such as the Muslim community.

If Britain was seen to be portraying a similar message and would stop giving individuals from minorities leniency in the courts then it wouldn't be an issue.

What do you guys think about that?

Ozzy Singh, Let me start by saying that no nation on earth should ever look to Australia for any guidance on how to have good race relations. It has, arguably, always been the most blatantly racist nation on earth. For example many talk about the openly racist Laws that America once had in place but lets not forget that America got rid of its racist Laws 60 or 70 years ago. Australia, on the other hand, had racist laws and policies in place right up until recently. In the field of multi-culturalism and good race relations it is playing catch-up with the rest of the civilised world.

As for your other point, although you name your thread 'multiculturalism' you seem to be confusing the idea of 'multi-culturalism' with 'assimilation'. For example, America does not practice multiculturalism ; it expects immigrants, of whatever colour and creed, to discard the culture they came from and assimilate into American culture. From the very beginning of large scale black and south asian immigration into Britain in the 40's and 50's, that idea has been considered contrary to an individual's human rights in this country. From the very beginning, the ideology here is that every culture is valuable....every culture has legitimacy....every culture deserves to be respected and be able to be practiced without fear. And with this multi-cultural ideal the different cultures coexist alongside each other, with mutual tolerance and respect. It works wonderfully. It is a great system.

As for what you said about the Courts, you know it was actually a proud ankhi Sikh that changed the way the English courts deal with different cultures. In the 1983 landmark case of Sardar Tejender Singh at Cambridge County Court, Sardar Tejinder Singh turned his back on the Judge and told him he had zero respect for him and the system. For the first time ever in English legal history a man was not held in contempt of court for such an act. The Court, and Judge, acknowledged, that if an individual from a different culture believed in the authority of a different, higher being it was not for the Court to impose their own traditions on him. You see, this is the beauty of multicultural Britian. Lets take the city of Southampton for example : Each year at the beginning of the Basakhi nagar kirtan, the city fathers and Mayor stand alongside the Sikh community and lower the British flag from atop of the town hall and instead hoist the Nishan Sahib. Acknowledging that for the Sikhs, the Nishan Sahib is the national flag.....i.e the flag of most importance.

Sitting in Australia, you probably imagine the multi-culutural make-up of England to be Jamaicans and Asians. Over the last decade or so though, the biggest change in the make-up here in London is the influx of French blacks from Paris. Absolutely millions of them. They see British multi-culturalism has something quite heavenly. I'll leave you then, with the thoughts of Beni assou-Ekotto, the right back of Tottenham football club : http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/may/11/assou-ekotto-bassong-france-race-quotas