Is Caste A Integral Part Of Sikhism?

Guest Jassowal

Guest Jassowal

hello to all,

I need answers on why our fellow sikhs are STILL discriminating against each other, creating divisions in the sikh nation? When we are allready a MINORITY? and for all those who will say they need to take amrit and all the labels will be washed away, (i beg to differ) being from the uk BIRMINGHAM as a young sikh growing up ive realised that if we all truely became 1 as our religion states we would be a REAL FORCE but still some ppl just cannot stop stating their caste before sikh n then they get all fired up watching youtube videos of HINDUS of the indian govt doing what their doing in our punjab to our people....BUT they are not realising that some born sikhs have had their heart torn out because of not being accepted by their own sikhs and then they walk away THATS WHY WE ARE NOT A FORCE WHERE IS THE UNITY? WHERE IS THE UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD? that we showed for about 2 weeks when the indian govt decalred the hanging to bhai balwant singh rajoana, going to school, college n now uni i was allways outnumbered by the <banned word filter activated> as r many other apneh but i didnt fear becuz i am a son of Guru Gobind Singh Maharaaj and im not a sheep and so are many other apneh but becuz of this petty caste issue we are OUTNUMBERED DIVIDEDand Not as strong as we could be i hope fellow sikhs of the generation below myself and beyond do not suffer from this and 1 day we will be a FORCE the TRUE KINGS OF THIS WORLD where their is UNITY and most importantly Peace and respect in our SIKH Kaum

Guest RavindaSingh

It's due to the older generation who grew up with caste and now the generations who grow up here which follow it and this is endorsed by these dumb@ss bhangra songs and other things like that they are not Sikhs they are panjabis ... That's my own observation of growing up In the uk

It's due to the older generation who grew up with caste and now the generations who grow up here which follow it and this is endorsed by these dumb@ss bhangra songs and other things like that they are not Sikhs they are panjabis ... That's my own observation of growing up In the uk

I agree with you that the older generations certainly have their share of the blame when it comes to the "caste" issue, but could you please kindly elaborate on the 'endorsement' that you claim comes from Bhangra songs?

Thank you :)

As said above its due to the older generation but sadly it might continue as our folks probably want their children (our generation) to marry into caste to so it'll be our duties as parents (whenever that time by be) to not discriminate against caste when it comes to our children getting married.

This issue and female foeticide are directly and indisputably the ways our Gurus wanted us to abandon. It really is terrifying how we pick and choose aspects of our faith -- and even more disturbing is how we've constructed methods of justifying these ways. Very scary.

This issue and female foeticide are direct and indisputably the ways our Gurus wanted us to abandon. It really is terrifying how we pick and choose aspects of our faith -- and even more disturbing is how we've constructed methods of justifying these ways. Very scary.

One of these pathetic methods of justification was the following answer from my mum after i asked her what is wrong in a "Insert Caste Here" marrying a "Insert Other Caste Here".

OzzySingh: Mummy ji if Sikhism practices equality in all men and women, why do you and bapu only want me to marry a fellow Jatti?

OzzySinghs Mummy: Well son, the thing is that a Jatt is a zameendar and farmer. If a Jatt was to marry a Khatri for example it wouldn't work because one has a farming background and the other a merchant background.

OzzySingh: That sucks for an answer, face it you and dad have bought into the whole my caste is bigger than your caste.

OzzySinghs Mummy: Saliyah, minu Sikhi sakharayah? Fittu mu tere!

As touched upon Singhni, the practical solution is to ensure you encourage your (future) children to not buy into the caste bakwaas, something I definitely intend on doing and hope others do too! :)

You know, you people need to be very careful about tarnishing the slightest of things with the 'caste' brush. Its like if an Argentinian wants to marry a Mongolian. There are clear differences in the way they speak, what they eat, their nature and mannerisms etc, and the parents of the two would be entirely right to at least mention them. But they don't go confusing those little differences and conflicts with the issue of 'caste'. 'Caste' ain't got nothing to do with nothing. It don't exist. But people fascinated by 'caste' seem to see 'caste' in everything.

You can't wish away obvious differences simply by painting it as a 'caste' issue. The differences are not an illusion. They exist. This is reality. Sometimes, those differences don't exist. You might have 2 sikhs from different backgrounds but both of them might now be accountants working in the city after receieving private education. They are both soft-spoken and both eat the same foods and have the same mannerisms. Those 2 sikhs are perfect for each other regardless of their family background, and nobody would say otherwise. But who in their right mind would assume that a soff spoken sikh girl from an urban family could function properly in the household of the average rough and tough, loud, drinking milk by the tonnage rural sikh household ?

You people only see the issue of 'caste' everywhere because you're actively looking for the issue of 'caste'.

Guest RavindaSingh

I agree with you that the older generations certainly have their share of the blame when it comes to the "caste" issue, but could you please kindly elaborate on the 'endorsement' that you claim comes from Bhangra songs?

Thank you :)

As an example jus type in 'jatt' into youtube .... have fun

Has anyone lived with a person of different caste for a bit and seen how they live...........in between the Jatts there are many differences.......ever ask yourself why some jatts will not marry their daughter or son to a different jatt family?

No doubt there is caste discrimination in punjabi families, but in many cases there is a fine line where the families are looking for similar living style family to marry into.

If we all became Sikhs and followed Khalsa culture, then there would be difference in living style, but not all Sikhs do this as they have their own intrepretation of what Sikhi is. This whole site is filled with these different living styles, as why the arguments break out on here and one wants to cut the others throat through the computer screen.

If you want to kill the caste system, then start with practicing rehat and teaching others to follow rehat. If we followed Rehat is there a different living style between Sikhs? No!!!!