Euthanaisa

I see two way of looking at this. Pro-life and pro-choice. Pro-life approach would argue that God has given us life and we should leave it without human intervention.. If God has given us the gift of life then who are we to take it? Pro-choice would argue that our body is ours to control. We can do what ever we life as our body is ours.

In my opinion I think it is important to consider situation factors like that of abortion. Euthanasia comes in two forms. Passive and active,.. One involved someones life being taken by another because of their permanent vegetative state (switching off life support machines) and the other the subject gives consent and opts to move on. I think if it is of a passive nature then it should be permissable. However, you do hear about cases were atheletes have chosen euthanasia because an injury has left them disabled. I think this wrong as they still have the ability to function although their quality of life may have decreased... Just my opinion :)

do people have a right to kill themselves if they're dying? should we show compassion to a person suffering and end their suffering?

Define suffering and after the soul leaves this current body, does it suffer? You would really benefit from doing Sri Anand Sahib da paat. After 20th pauri pay extra attention to what Guru Sahib is saying to you.

You are here to find god , chucknorris! Even you can´t escape him. We can discuss 100x, we are different people , with different views on the Subject - so what we can call true and what not true? Anyway - it is alway OUR choice - No matter what , where and when you are doing - this is the hukam!

"Suffering is the medicine and pleasure the disease. Because where there is pleasure there i no desire for god."

I love our Guru , Guru ji always lit s me up

man maerae sadhaa har vaekh hadhoor || O my mind, see the Lord ever close at hand. janam maran dhukh pareharai sabadh rehiaa bharapoor ||1|| rehaao || He shall remove the pains of death and rebirth; the Word of the Shabad shall fill you to overflowing. ||1||Pause||

I think, like others have said that you have some kind of 'choice' in this, whether this is actually your choice or your perception that you had a choice in the first place is questionable. Recently the news has covered a lot of people with chronic illness going over to other countries such as Switzerland (if i recall correctly) to legally end their life and I know that Terry Pratchett undertook a documentary for the BBC following some of these people around. It was really sad to watch but I think additional sadness was brought on by the fact that they believed this was the only way out. I, myself having never experienced what its like to suffer from such an illness can never imagine what that is like however part of me feels like if this was legalised in this country people who were getting older and did not want to face the issues of old age such as incontinence, potentially undignified behaviour as a result of illness (dementia etc) may choose this path. In my opinion, I believe that this is due to how old age is seen in this and every other country. We don't value our elders and their knowledge as much as we should and old age is looked upon as a shaming experience.

Just my two pence worth!

I think, like others have said that you have some kind of 'choice' in this, whether this is actually your choice or your perception that you had a choice in the first place is questionable. Recently the news has covered a lot of people with chronic illness going over to other countries such as Switzerland (if i recall correctly) to legally end their life and I know that Terry Pratchett undertook a documentary for the BBC following some of these people around. It was really sad to watch but I think additional sadness was brought on by the fact that they believed this was the only way out. I, myself having never experienced what its like to suffer from such an illness can never imagine what that is like however part of me feels like if this was legalised in this country people who were getting older and did not want to face the issues of old age such as incontinence, potentially undignified behaviour as a result of illness (dementia etc) may choose this path. In my opinion, I believe that this is due to how old age is seen in this and every other country. We don't value our elders and their knowledge as much as we should and old age is looked upon as a shaming experience.

Just my two pence worth!

but if it was legalised certain laws could be put in place to protect the elderly, maybe other countries that do have euthanasia as lehal have laws to protect the elderly. personaly, i watched a documentry on a woman who had motor neurone disease, she could no longer do anything, she had a active normal brain in a paralysed body. she felt trapped and no longer wanted to live and she felt as if she had no honour. i was saddened by it, she was denied euthanasia and died pumped full of drugs in hospital. i think euthansia would have been a more dignified way for her to die.

I can see where you're coming from CSN, however I think i'm still of the optimistic (perhaps overly so in other people's opinions) that something could change. For example you spoke of a woman with MND and although she did die in hospital I still think to myself what if others like her could be helped in the future i.e. new technologies etc, however due to their current beliefs that death is better opt for euthanasia hence don't experience what might have been. Also I think there are too many crooks in this world and the legalisation of euthanasia would definitely lead to some exploiting this for their own gain. Overall, as with everything...each to their own, their life, their decision. Food for thought, eh.