Do You Drink Wine?

jpsingh2

Do You Drink Wine?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Have you drank wine or any other alcohol in the past 2 months?

^^ I can see both of your points, but I have seen a few 'happy' drunks...I guess it depends on the individual. If you are an angry or kaami person on the inside then having a few drinks will loosen inhibitions and you may start projecting your inner being with out fear of consequences.

^^ I can see both of your points, but I have seen a few 'happy' drunks...I guess it depends on the individual. If you are an angry or kaami person on the inside then having a few drinks will loosen inhibitions and you may start projecting your inner being with out fear of consequences.

Punjabi word for alcohol = Sharab. Like alot of Punjabi words its origin lies in Persian, with the amalgamation of 2 seperate words, i.e the words 'Shar' and 'ab'.

The 'shar' is 'shame' and the 'ab', as you know from the word 'Punjab' , is 'water'. Thus, Sharab literaly translates as 'Shame Water'. i.e....he or she who drinks it becomes besharm. You can paint it with all the rosy words you like, such as 'happy drunks' etc, but at the end of the day the literal translation applies : Besharm.

Punjabi word for alcohol = Sharab. Like alot of Punjabi words its origin lies in Persian, with the amalgamation of 2 seperate words, i.e the words 'Shar' and 'ab'.

The 'shar' is 'shame' and the 'ab', as you know from the word 'Punjab' , is 'water'. Thus, Sharab literaly translates as 'Shame Water'. i.e....he or she who drinks it becomes besharm. You can paint it with all the rosy words you like, such as 'happy drunks' etc, but at the end of the day the literal translation applies : Besharm.

wow, thanks I never thought of it that way.

Fair enough.

What do ya'll think of chocolate??

For some reason i think its not right to drink chai maybe thats just me whats up with that.

No to those who thought I was talking about some auntie wine I mean something like brandy, cognac..

2 vs 26 so far..

Also does anyone know why muslims don't drink..

what is the official reason if there is one?

Typical WSL response :rolleyes2:

Shar is short for Shararat, meaning mischief.

Yeah I'd be happy with that explanation, and I appreciate the rare sight of some actual knowledge here. Makes a nice change from the usual dullards. As usual, when looking for the origins of Punjabi words, we Sikhs need to bypass the mohammedans that live directly to our north (Pakistan) and venture into Central Asia. Indeed, in doing so, we are following in the footsteps of our forefathers who, in the early days of Sikhi, looked towards central Asia for our names and customs etc....never looking south to India. The Pakistanis, Afghans these days....and to a certain extent the Iranians themselves....have been so indoctrinated with the glory of Arabic that they believe everything and anything has its roots in that language. Thus, to find a more balanced and intellectual discussion about the classical Persian (i.e. pre-arabic influenced Persian) influence on Punjabi, and other central asian languages, we need to by-pass the cultural wasteland of pakistan and look at the language of people such as the Kurds etc. In Kurdish the word for alcohol is 'Seraw', which comes from an amalgamation of 2 separate words 'ser' and 'aw'. The Kurdish 'aw', like our Punj-Ab' is influenced by the persian 'ab' and means 'water'. The Kurdish 'ser' literally means fighting, violence or trouble-making' . Thus the Kurdish word for alcohol which, like the Punjabi word, originates in the classical persian word, literally translates as 'Touble-Making water'. So yes, good point there Chatanga. Good show old chap. Jolly good show.

We must accept our religion has influences from both Hinduism and Islam, I think the Guru's found it unnecessary to reinvent the wheel completely.

Has anyone on this forum experienced the anand of naam? If I meditate/kiertan for a really long time I can feel an inner happiness that makes music sound a little distorted in a good way. Or has anyone heard celestal vibrations or music? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

We must accept our religion has influences from both Hinduism and Islam, I think the Guru's found it unnecessary to reinvent the wheel completely.

Has anyone on this forum experienced the anand of naam? If I meditate/kiertan for a really long time I can feel an inner happiness that makes music sound a little distorted in a good way. Or has anyone heard celestal vibrations or music? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

When someone says that, it is important to clear what they mean because it could easily be incorrectly interpreted.

Sikhi is Universal irregardless of caste, creed, culture, location on Earth, location in the Universe, time, era, decade, century. Waheguru is Timeless and Sikhi is Universal.

Yes, there is influence from Sikhi and Islam but if you go deep enough you will find there is influence in Islam from other religions and influence in Hinduism from other means of worship prior to Hinduism (brahmanism).

That, however, does not mean Sikhi adopted the belief system of either Islam or Hinduism. Truth isn't bound be religion. Guru Sahiban gave us a Khajana and directly gave us the Truth without any middle man involved.

Amazing katha, a must listen for everyone in English, Baba Ji explains whether or not Sikhi is the "True" religion:

Yeah you posted that before somewhere else except I only watched part 1 before.

Feeling nothingness or ram or nothingless pleasure all the time is way hard but easier than doing one of the 5 evils. Kam Krodh, Lobh and Onckar, whats the 5th one?, are all the opposite of one god. So when you say ik on kar. your mind should go to one thing, all 5 things rely on another thing or a connection of duality or something so when you say one god, one love or whatever your mind goes to a praise of god / being with god and not going to through the 5 evils to get something just for the sake of monkey love. The complete experience not a quest. Truth is complete.

Our middle man, guru, is our Guru Granth Sahib perhaps within ourselves for sure.

Check out this guy below ~,

http://www.gurunanakacademy.com/audio/index.php?q=f&f=%2FEnglish+Katha%2FBhai+Parminder+Singh+Ji.