Sikhs Listening To Rap Music In The West

I don't listen to much rap or any music matter of fact but there is this one rapper that I have recently been exposed to his name is Lupe Fiasco. He always raps about corruption, respect for women, government, corruption, rights etc. So I suppose not all rap is bad.

This kind of rap music etc will help us realize the corruption and what is going on in this world we live in. For example, by listening to some of this guy's songs I have learned about so many things that go on in American politics etc etc.

However, Kirtan is what will help us grow in Sikhi and be closer to Akal Purakh like ghatak ji mentioned.

Hip Hop, in its original form, was a form of self expression and often used as a tool for social commentary. People described their perception of their surroundings, the conditions of their life, and their struggles as well as aspirations. Nothing wrong with this genre of music if people chose to listen to meaningful songs.

Here is the "Teacha", KRS-ONE, himself talking about Hip Hop and its origins:

check out akala( no pun intended) or some of the oldies rapping like the roots!

I grew up listening to gangster rap and I agree I was heavily influenced by it. Regardless of what people say, it psychologically changes the thought of one and then thought become actions. It is full of ego and hate.

YO YO YO (just kidding)

well for starters regarding wat my ears like listening to, i LOVE Hip-Hop, Rock, Dance/Techno (my fave), Bhangra, Kirtan & old Jazz/Swing music (Sinatra). So i have my foot in all camps, but i have 2 say all the people cussing rap saying that it supposedly promotes violence/drugs/hoes/petty cash etc.

Well wat about wat rock music? It used 2 be accused of in its prime in the 70's & 80's? Remember how Black Sabbath n Ozzy Osbourne were accused of promoting devil worship, even tho they didnt, but they had haters. Then there was Guns N Roses (my fave band), Motley Crue etc who were accused of promoting women as sluts, then there is Judas priest in the 80s and marilyn manson in 90s who were accused of telling there fans to commit suicide with supposed subliminal messages (pure tatti). In mid 70's early 80's punk music was related to rebellion, and punk bands were accused of creating chaos. Even media darling the beatles (legends) had some of their songs edited by radio n banned in america coz they were supposedly promoting use of LSD/Acid drugs (apparntly werent).

So yes rap music has got elements, especially from 2001 onwards who only talk about money, cash, hoes, but there r some incredibly talented artists out there who have made sick sick tunes who will be remembered forever. i have 2 admit tho, i no longer listen new rap artists since 2005 onwards, coz hip-hop is DEAD!! some1 mentioned only grandmaster flash era was where rap was decent with a message? u kiddin me? Wat bowt Wu-Tang Clan 1st album? Nas 1st Album? A Tribe Called Quest? Common? Lupe Fiasco/ Jay-Z Early Albums? even 2pacs songs have got incredible messages, especially to white ppl in america, who stereotype them as whatever they do.

anyways rant over, im gonna leave u guys with a London rapper called "Akala", hes wicked, check his legendary "Fire In The Booth" Part 1 & Part 2, out of this world!! This guy has studied practically every civilisation, and he says it how it is,n he cusses his own black ppls shortcomings n how the white man has tried 2 cover up their genocides throughout time! If u guys cant keep up with wat hes saying (speed/accent), theres a 3rd video with lyrics on the screen.

It depends on each individual artist wat they wish 2 write n do, not there genre or instruments, rap has been cussed during its time but so has rock.

Akala's Fire in the booth is brrilliant but find no enemy is something that resonates or should resonate with sikhs