BC Sikh youths be aware of new deepa mehta film on sikh gangs

N30S1NGH

Just got this off from facebook

http://www.smh.com.a...0921-26bbu.html

It's good that she is working on film on gangs but to label gangs as "sikh" gangs is highly an stereotype and highly inaccurate..punjabi gangs/indo canadian gang would be accurate description as last time i checked sikh is not particular ethnic race...may be someones wants to approach politely to point out regarding labeling or prepare a statement awarding her work regardings gangs yet telling her to review her label. There is nothing sikh about having a "gang" cannot be backed up with any scriptural/rehitnamas evidences.

She is highly on extreme left so some caution is recommended while sikhs approaching here..only educated calm sikhs should handle discussing this issue of labeling with her.

Alternatively i think bc sikh youths should create a documentary of how sikhs/sikhism is making difference positively to cut punjabi gang violence..get all ex punjabi gang members together who are now amritdhari or now on the path following sikh dhrama, take their interview/get 3ho sikh yoga programs at forefront including this documentary (get omni bc tv involved) put in a documentary how sikhism is positively making difference against punjabi gang violence. This documentary would be excellent resource to use to debunk any theory or labels that there is such thing as sikh gangs...!!

Ex Punjabi gang member became a Sikh and is now representing Sikh values and fighting against gangs.

Sikhs in Canada should rally together and pursue legal avenues to make her so called "left" film politically correct as she is currently defaming the Sikh community by saying it's Sikh gangs, not Indian gangs.

Also, no one should react with emotion. Stay classy...

Ex Punjabi gang member became a Sikh and is now representing Sikh values and fighting against gangs.

Sikhs in Canada should rally together and pursue legal avenues to make her so called "left" film politically correct as she is currently defaming the Sikh community by saying it's Sikh gangs, not Indian gangs.

Also, no one should react with emotion. Stay classy...

I talked to him on twitter. He's actually part of the Sikh Youth Gurdwara committe now.

• 3 months later...

Are we in denial? I don't know the ins and outs of it but if most of these 'Indo-Canadian' gangs are made up of guys from Sikh backgrounds, then running about in denial about it isn't going to help. Maybe we need to frankly face up to the problem and tackle it instead of chasing a PR agenda?

It's like when anything good is done by apnay we run to label it 'Sikh' when apnay do gundh like this we slyly start trying to shake off responsibility by making it a 'Panjabi' or 'Indian' issue.

From what I've encountered on the web, most of the guys who've been murdered in these 'Indo-Canadian' things have had names clearly pointing to Panjabi Sikh backgrounds.

A few years ago I read an interview written by someone who I presume was a white Canadian. In it a Sikh mother referred to her gangster son as a 'Khalsa' as he was living his life and earning money through 'physical' means. When he got involved in a shooting and ended up in a wheelchair she changed and wondered why Waheguru put her son in a terrible position. She didnt come across as particularly smart but she was definitely Sikh. To blame this on Punjabiness is just damn racist.

Having said that, if an outsider is trying to make money or create social strife between Sikhs and non-Sikhs then it becomes another issue to some extent.