J.K. Rowling's New Book about a Sikh Family

Sherdil

It seems like there is another controversy developing.

Sources: http://au.ibtimes.co...tm#.UGbgj1JM98F

J K Rowling Novel Angers Indian Sikhs

By Vasudevan Siridharan | September 29, 2012 8:16 PM EST

308566.jpg

Author J K Rowling with a copy of her new novel The Casual Vacancy at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London . Reuters

JK Rowling's new novel The Casual Vacancy is causing controversy among Sikhs in India.

A female Sikh student in the book is mocked by fellow characters for having body hair. The description has not gone down well with the Sikh community in India, which has demanded a retraction and an apology from the author.

The Akal Takht, the Sikh's highest seat of temporal authority, has condemned the book.

The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), which represents the Akal Takht, has demanded the removal of the text.

In the book, one of the characters describes Sukhvinder, a Sikh student as "moustachioed, yet large-mammaried; scientists remain baffled by the contradictions of the hairy man-woman".

"Even if the author had chosen to describe the female Sikh character's physical traits, there was no need for her to use provocative language, questioning her gender. This is condemnable," said SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar, according to the Times of India.

Makkar contended that it was a slur on the Sikh community and provocative. He vowed to take action against the author if she fails to remove the offending text, at least in India.

The Harry Potter author's latest book has a Sikh family at its centre. The 47-year-old has said that she conducted extensive research on the community for the novel, and that it is Sikhism, not Christianity, which provides the book's religious morality.

Not all Sikhs are offended by the description. "I liked her treatment of Sukhvinder, the only one in a high achieving family who is stuck because she is dyslexic. Of course, it's the parts about the kids - all of them - that really stand out in the book," London-based Punjabi Mimmy Jain told the Hindustan Times.

I guarantee any controversy like this will only increase book sales.

Whites love it when 'religious authorities' are annoyed by books. Look at how they've stood by Salman Rushdie for example.

I have not read the book, but what my impression formed from that has been written by the critic is that she wanted a coloured family of high achievers and high moral characters in her novel in order to bring in focus some issues and attitudes of some people in the predominantly white English village. The girl in question was the only one from that family who was not able to do well. She was dyslexic (person sees the written script/words as jumbled words so cannot comprehend what is really written). Dyslexia is a disability very well known to medical professionals.

Why did SGPC condemn the book? Surely they have no idea what they're doing, or do they?

What was exactly offensive?

edit- Just read Kalyugi's post. I didn't type it out, but I agree with everything he said. If there wasn't anything actually offensive we need to ask the SGPC to ask for an apology to the Sikhs and the book maker for doing something similar to the crazy congress guy from New Delhi (International Kali Dal).

SGPC are getting way ahead of themselves.

Besharam.

They don't care if people are dying of hunger, need medicine and need Sikhi parchar in Punjab, but if a book comes out that they don't understand the depth behind they try to get some PR by saying "haaaaaan jiiii assiiii taaaaan eeeehss boooook nu condemnn kardee aahh!!!!"

Act karde jivein book condemn karke ik vadi jang lardke agaye...

-.-

I guarantee any controversy like this will only increase book sales.

Whites love it when 'religious authorities' are annoyed by books. Look at how they've stood by Salman Rushdie for example.

My thoughts exactly when seeing the article.

Makkar, Badal and Co could make the Sikhs look very stupid here if the book is actually talking up Sikhs. The book is going to sell in millions due to JK Rowlings Harry Potter series and any wrong statements from the Sikhs will get a lot of negative publicity.i.e Like the Salman Rushdie Fatwah from Iran. As people have stated the main problems and threats facing the Sikhs are not even mentioned by Makkar and Badal, so is this a deliberate attempt by their employers to make Sikhs look bad world wide?