A matter of rehat

Bundha

You have a chance to save someone from a terrible fate, but it means it messes up your rehat.

Question - Do you save the person and messup your rehat or do you keep your rehat and condemn the person to a terrible fate ?

Every human being is prone to error, therefore every rehit (even bujhar kurehits) have a procedure that allow us to be forgiven if we broke the rehit. From doing a japji sahib da paath and ardaas (for kangha, kara, kirpan) to asking the punj for forgiveness (bujher kurehit). So if we made a mistake we would ask for forgiveness, so why not save someone's life and ask for forgiveness? When going on airplane, court, we take off our kirpan, but to save someone's life we can't?

I have heard for medical conditions, Sikhs cut their hair to have operations, then why not to save someone's life? Of course there are also courageous, imbued Gursikhs, who won't have heart operations (even though they need them), because there's only a certain percent of success rate (for example 68% of all bypass surgeries are successful, the rest die), and they are worried that the doctors will do beadbi of their rom (hair) and if they die during the operation, they will die patit.But if the success rate was 100%, they would ask for forgiveness. So as long as their's a chance that you can ask for forgiveness of the punj, it's okay to do it for someone's life.

Also one of Bhai Veer Singh's Sakhis in Kalgidhar Chamitkar scares me : It's about a husband and wife devoted to puja of thakar (an idol), everyday they bathe it, sing for it, etc than eat. Well one day a wounded Sikh comes to their house asking for water. They had water in their hands and were taking it to bathe the thakar. They refused the Singh water saying, the first water must be used for thakur. wait here, when we r done bathing the thakar, we will bring you some. The Singh laughed and said, "What a heartless thakur u have. fine then u will never get darshan of thakar. never." and soon he breathed his last. The two finished the ritual bathing, but that day did not feel peace, and kept remembering the Singh's last words. Somehow (i forget) they came to Guru Gobind Singh Ji and became his Mali(gardeners), they did very good seva, and once when Guru Ji wanted to reward them and went to meet them, he stopped, and repeated, "U will never get darshan of thakar, never." and returned back. When the Mali and his wife heard that that Guru Ji was coming to meet them, but didn't, they were devastated, would they never be forgiven?

(They eventually are, that is the greatness of out Guru)

But after that Sakhi, I was scared that I might because of a bad decision, in which I put my selfishness first, like it's more important for me to keep my daily routine right, do irreversible damage. You can ask for forgiveness for rehit, but u can't change ur decision to walk away. Also rehit is to keep u steady in this world, it's part of this temporary world. Don't become so entagled in it, u forget the big picture. Waheguru, and how all are him, and he is all, so when u walk away, u walk away from him. What if it's a test?

Also in bani, it talks about how god resides in all, and not to break even someon'e heart, and you're talking about leaving someone helpless and walk away, when you can save them?

As long as the rehit can be forgiven, I think it's okay. Let the punj decide the punishment. Don't punish yourself by walking away. Even higher than truth is truthful living, true character. Doing the right, the good, the kind thing.

You have a chance to save someone from a terrible fate, but it means it messes up your rehat.

Question - Do you save the person and messup your rehat or do you keep your rehat and condemn the person to a terrible fate ?

Which rehat is in conflict of saving a person from a terrible fate?

How many lives in 1984 could have been saved if we just let go of rehat and went straight to the sword. Hold on go back to Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj's time and see how many lives could have been saved if Satguru just went straight to the sword and used shakti to rip the Muslims into pieces. Hold on go back to Satguru Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji Maharaj's time and see how Satguru could have killed the punishers in a split second and raised the Khalsa flag over Chandu Shah and anyone elseo who dared to step in Satguru's way.

Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji Maharaj knew that Sri Akal Takht Sahib is going to be attacked. Why didn't Sant ji just tell Sant Baba Jarnail Singh ji, go out and deal with Kuldip Brar before he or anyone can do anything. Why was this Rehat (use the sword as the last means) followed, where thousands of lives were lost? If this rehat was not followed then thousands of lives could have been saved. Is one life more important than thousands of lives?

If it is a matter of saving someone's life, then instead of them being the one's to lose their life, then put your body in the way and you won't have to worry about going against rehat and will be considered a hero for giving up ur life to save another. So problem solved, Satguru says rehat is to save others even if that means losing your life. :biggrin2:

so why not save someone's life and ask for forgiveness?

Great sakhi but i just like to comment on the above quote. Saving someone's life and asking for forgiveness for breaking rehit to save one's life itself is on clash course. Why have to ask for forgiveness when there is must moral duty for khalsa to save oneself life?

Maharaj says:Dhaul Dharam Daya Ka Poot ||

Dharam itself is born out of dya. In other words dya(compassion) comes first before any rehit within dharam or dharam...!!

Lets not turn rehit into some dogma and turn service provided by panj pyares into some empty ritualistic dogma.

I am sad to say, that sakhi which applies to husband and wife above, applies to our dogma sikhs here. Guru Maharaj has its own beautiful and unique way of testing his sikhs, as soon as sikh wrap his/her head around rituals and stuck in rituals - we do miss an chance to serve humanity (eg- hundreds of litres of milk goes waste every day when they clean the floor in darbar sahib - i be the last one to criticize sane puratan maryada but this is ridiculous we should have fine balance- minimize it) .!!!. Now days i don't know about every where else, but here in my local area- we more concerned about making sure, our donated blood does not go to hindu or nirankari...we had this ridicolous discussion on it on the radio couple of years ago..!!

So we are indeed becoming like hindu pandit or typical mullah with our rituals..thats for sure..!!!!!

Maharaj says:Dhaul Dharam Daya Ka Poot ||

Dharam itself is born out of dya. In other dya(compassion) comes first before any rehit within dharam...!!

Great example/quote, it totally sums up what i wanted to say.

Great sakhi but i just like to comment on the above quote. Saving someone's life and asking for forgiveness for breaking rehit to save one's life itself is on clash course. Why have to ask for forgiveness when there is must moral duty for khalsa to save oneself life?

Lets not turn rehit into some dogma and turn service provided by panj pyares into some empty ritualistic dogma.

It's to set ur own mind at ease, also the panj pyare are guru saroop, i'm sure they would give the correct judgement and even agree with u if it warranted the situation. It doesn't hurt to ask or confess.

- we do miss an chance to serve humanity (eg- hundreds of litres of milk goes waste every day when they clean the floor in darbar sahib - i be the last one to criticize sane puratan maryada but this is ridiculous we should have fine balance- minimize it) .!!!. Now days i don't know about every where else, but here in my local area- we more concerned about making sure, our donated blood does not go to hindu or nirankari...we had this ridicolous discussion on it on the radio couple of years ago..!!

whatever happened to sarbat da bhalla? and no enemity?

Agree with the milk thing, our gurudwara in the usa, washes the Nishan sahib with dehi and milk. Once after the Nishan Sahib chola seva, the sangat went to eat langar, but there was no dehi! my dad was furious :) but some may even say our langar, especially in the west, is a ritual, party type thing, no homeless, needy there.