Have a question...

Jaspaul Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Jio, i was talking to fellow sikhs, and we were discussing the issue on suicide. Yes i know its not allowed in sikhi.

Here is a related question. What if someone is dying or suffering, and is about to pass away soon, what if that person is in soo much pain, and tells us to take his or her life. Is it right for us to do, seeeing the other in pain, is it right for us to take his or her life.

Another example is if you hit a deer while driving. But when u come out to check if its dead or not, its really badly hurt, and heavily suffering/dying, so what should we do.. let it suffer for another half hour or 2 and let it die then, or shall we end its misery ???

Please give your approach !

Bhul chuka maph !

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a question... we say dat suicide is not allowed coz we take our own life. how abt it is in our karam to die in dat way? how do we know dat suicide is not allowed? is it written anywhere in sri guru granth sahib ji.. dis question has been runnign thru my mind for few weeks already.. any1?

i got a question... we say dat suicide is not allowed coz we take our own life. how abt it is in our karam to die in dat way? how do we know dat suicide is not allowed? is it written anywhere in sri guru granth sahib ji.. dis question has been runnign thru my mind for few weeks already.. any1?

Bhenji it's a bit common sense- Do you thinkyour Guru would be proud that his Son/daughter is THAT WEAK tha they can't handle it?

+ Human life is where we get the chance of getting our karms clean and do naam japna - we don't want to miss a such chance do we? and wait another 100 yrs till we get a human lfie again :lol:

GUru JI has thaught us to say in CHARDIKALA :(

And a Chardikala person doesn't even THINK of Such an action - let alone doing it.....

Our Aim in lfie is to become like Great Gurmukhs liek Baba Deep Singh ji (which again isn't happening realisticly in this life - but our Job is to STRIVE FOR IT)

WOUld i.e Baba Deep Singh ji do something like that :T:

bhull chukk maaaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Bhenji it's a bit common sense- Do you thinkyour Guru would be proud that his Son/daughter is THAT WEAK tha they can't handle it?

+ Human life is where we get the chance of getting our karms clean and do naam japna - we don't want to miss a such chance do we? and wait another 100 yrs till we get a human lfie again :lol:

GUru JI has thaught us to say in CHARDIKALA :(

And a Chardikala person doesn't even THINK of Such an action - let alone doing it.....

Our Aim in lfie is to become like Great Gurmuk

hs liek Baba Deep Singh ji (which again isn't happening realisticly in this life - but our Job is to STRIVE FOR IT)

WOUld i.e Baba Deep Singh ji do something like that :T:

bhull chukk maaaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I agree with Mr Singh. Jkaur bhenji think of all those glorious shaheeds we have had! They suffered the worst inhuman tortures ever! Couldn't they have ended it easy by killing themselves? But they lived in bhana and smiled at all the terrifying horrors they were put through. Lets all look upto them and try our best to stand upto their spirits, and even if we can do 1% of that, it will be amazing how strong we get and face every pain of life.

http://allaboutsikhs.com/mansukh/125.htm

Q125. What is the Sikh attitude to mercy-killing?

Today there is a lot of pressure on politicians to legalize mercy-killing. In certain countries, mercy killing of patients suffering from incurable diseases or terminal illness has been regulated by law. It is left either to the discretion of the physician or the patient. Recently a new Society named "EXIT" has been started in Great Britain, which supports the right of the individual to die with dignity and its literature contains some instructions for those who desire a painless suicide. The tendency towards the death-wish is fostered by present-day tensions and the conflicts of our competitive society. Mental illness is on the increase, and some people, in a fit of depression, may welcome death as a relief from the torture of living.

What is the Sikh view on this important subject of Euthanasia or mercy-killing? Is it right to end a life on account of the pain and agony faced by the patient? Is the physician under a duty to end life, when the terminally ill patient asks for relief in death? The Gurus regarded suffering as a result of man's Karma. Man must have the moral courage to bear his suffering without lament. He should pray for the grace of God to enable him to put up with pain in a spirit of resignation and surrender.

There is no place for mercy-killing in Sikhism. The Gurus tackled the problem of sickness and suffering by providing medical relief and alleviatio

n of pain. Guru Arjan built a leprosarium at Tarn-Taran. Guru Har Rai established a hospital at Kiratpur. It is reported that he supplied a rare herb to emperor Jehangir for the serious illness of his son. After all suffering is a part of the human condition and has a place in God's scheme. Suffering also prompts man to turn his thoughts to God; "Suffering is a medicine; happiness is a disease."

The Gurus rejected suicide, as it is an interference in God's plan. Many Sikhs faced torture and ultimate death at the hands of tyrant rulers and fanatic leaders, though they could have found relief through suicide. Birth and death are the prerogatives of God and under His command, and it is no business of man to oppose the Divine Will.

Recently, the Pope condemned mercy-killing and suicide as opposed to God's will and declared it a crime of the utmost gravity. It is the duty of the State and society to alleviate the suffering of citizens by medicine, surgery or psychological treatment. Even the expert physician has no right as such to end life. If he cannot cure or heal, he should not destroy life.