Question about Punjabi

Guest Idiot

Firstly I apologise for writing this in the gupt section.

Desite being born in a Punjabi family, I can't speak Punjabi very well. My mum is from the UK so we spoke English, and despite her wanting and trying to teach me Punjabi, I never wanted to learn. I hated Punjabi because my dad only speaks Punjabi and we did not get along... plus the only thing anyone hears out of his mouth are Punjabi swear words and cussing oher people, so I thought it was a horrible language for drunk uncles and bitchy auntiya.

Maharaj's kirpa I got into Sikhi, took Amrit. I moved to university where I now have regular of sangat of Sikhs who speak Punjabi. They've shown me the importance of speaking in our Guru's language. From listening to these people, I've realised that Punjabi is a beautiful language when spoken sweetly with humility. I was always wrong, now I wish to speak Punjabi as often as I can.

It's so embarrassing that I can't speak it. I'm trying as hard as I can now. I've learnt to read it and will get better at that, but speaking is different. I keep trying to find online resources to help me and writing out a vocabulary. I have basic sentences down but I could never have a full blown conversation. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could help me?

I know that Punjabi has become mixed with Hindi... is there any RIGHT way to speak Punjabi?

For example, is one of these sentences more "right" than the other?

Tussi kethe jaare ho

Tussi ketha jande aa

And lastly,

Should one refer to all boys as "tussi" unless they're significantly younger than you????

"tussi" can be for people that you respect, your parents or teachers or elderly people. you can refer to your friends as tun. if hyou want to call everyone as tussi do it. listen to dhaddi vaaran and kathain punjabi, talk to your friends in punjabi too. also doin paath can help with understanding and reading (helped me a lot).

There are several dialects in Punjabi. There is a Malwa dialect, Doaba dialect and Majha dialect. Therefore the two sentences you posted are punjabi from my understanding but they are different dialects. Like I would use the first one but my friends use the second one. It just depends on where in Punjab you go, because certain areas have different dialects than others.

The second one is Doaba dialect! :biggrin2:

The best dialect! :tongue2:

Pimsleur, the one that uses 'advanced technology' or something launched a learn punjabi language series:

http://www.mrsikhnet.com/2012/08/02/pimsleur-launches-a-punjabi-learning-program/

You can listen to a sample free lesson (the link is at the bottom of the webpage i posted above).

You can also try to only speak Punjabi with parents/friends and tell them to speak only punjabi with you.

Also you should go to India and stay in a pind/village where noone speaks english.

Or you should try to read Punjabi books/stories, so you can pick up grammar that way. Try reading them out loud with expression and slowly to understand what you're saying.