Mixed marriages are better than pushing Sikhs away.

sanjsingh

I truly think that mixed marriages in a Gurdwara are not a threat to Sikhi but rather they help us in the modern age. When a Sikh gets married to say a Hindu or a Christian in a church or a registrar then that Sikh is losing a major connection he or she has to their Guru Sahib. However when that Sikh marries in a Gurdwara they bow down to Guruji and take a vow to be with their new life partner this makes sure their relationship stays strong. Eventually these new partners will have children of their own. They will grow knowing their parents were married in the presence of Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj and will visit Gudwara Sahib.

On the other hand if we alienate such Sikhs we are pushing them further away from Sikhi something we can ill afford to do. They will feel betrayed by their brethren and will be instead wellcomed by Christian groups etc. who are already making massive leaps in getting many SIkhs to leave their religion and follow their path.

I have known of many non-Sikh Indians marrying Sikh boys and girls and gradually they assimilate themseles into Sikhi because they hae been wellcomed with open arms. The children of these marriages are now Sikhs and have Singh and kaur included in their names (something many actual Sikhs are dropping) this is because their communities hae disowned them and have been embraced by Sikhism. Are we now really saying that we want to push them away and then many more along with them.

If we say only a Sikh can marry another Sikh in a Gurdwara then how many of these supposed Sikhs actually qualify? Most are simply mone, drinking or smoking Sikhs. It is a well known matter that a new convert to a faith is more religious than those who just happen to be born in that faith.

Let us not increase the number of Sikhs flowing away from Sikhi, but lets keep them within Gurujis sharda and also embrace those they bring with them.

Please close this thread.

"Bittoo puttar, tenu Jennifer apni janaani de roop ch jachdi aa?".."Hanji Babaji"..."Jennifer, does you like the Bittoo for husband?"..."I do"..."changa fer matha teko".

LOL

well i've heard of a couple (from my mum, so its probably legit), the guy wanted to marry this German girl. the girl began to learn more about the boys background and religion. she learnt about sikhi and then wanted to convert. she told the guy she would only get married to him if they were both amritdhari. and so they both are and they got married. the end.

chances of this happening though, low.

well i've heard of a couple (from my mum, so its probably legit), the guy wanted to marry this German girl. the girl began to learn more about the boys background and religion. she learnt about sikhi and then wanted to convert. she told the guy she would only get married to him if they were both amritdhari. and so they both are and they got married. the end.

chances of this happening though, low.

If this was the situation with 90% of the marriages then that would be great but it's rare.

A bit OT but what's this massive assumption I'm always reading on this site about how non-Amritdharis "smoke, drink, etc"? You'd think people who haven't taken Amrit have a ciggy hanging from their lips and a bottle of whiskey tucked into their coat at all times.

Straight edge is a subculture and subgenre of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational drugs. It was a direct reaction to the sexual revolution, hedonism, and excess associated with punk rock. For some, this extends to not engaging in promiscuous sex, following a vegetarian or vegan diet, and not using caffeine or prescription drugs. The term was adopted from the song "Straight Edge" by the 1980s hardcore punk band Minor Threat.

Sound familiar? Let's not fall into the trap of assuming that only the so-called Chosen Ones have the desire to be free from life's vices and pitfalls. These 'Straight-Edge' folk do all this without feeling like someone is watching them from the heavens and judging their every move.

Now if we can somehow introduce these guys to Sikhi then we're onto a winner! :biggrin2: They're more than half-way there already!!!

Vichola: putt Bittoo

Bittoo: hanji

Vichola: tu nashe karda?

Bittoo: kadi kadi office de mundeya naal kar lenna

Vichola: viah ton baad vi karenga?

Bittoo: nai karunga jee

Vichola: Jennifer darling...sorry, daughter

Jennifer: ummm, yes?

Vichola: you drink tobacco?

Jennifer: excuse me?

Bittoo: he is asking if you smoke

Jennifer: oh, no I don't

Vichola: good girl, do you drink the Black Label?

Jennifer: actually I am more into Bud Light

Vichola: kee kehndi aa eh?

Bittoo: kadi kadi pee lendi aa

Vichola: No, after the mai-rage you no drink the Black Label or Red Label or Yellow Label

Jennifer: hmmmm, I'll give it a shot

Vichola: ok good, what about meat?

Jennifer: yes I do eat meat

Vichola: is it from American shop or Indian

Jennifer: obviously American

Vichola: so it is jhatka?

Bittoo: hanji

Vichola: tenu nai puchheya kudi nu bol lain de

Bittoo: just say you don't eat from an Indian shop

Jennifer: I eat the American style meat

Vichola: after mai-rage no chicken

Jennifer: what? you gotta be kidding!

Vichola: kee kehndi? kissing?

Bittoo: eh kehndi meat nai shadd sakdi, ehnu doctor ne keha khaan nu

Vichola: Jennifer, in our religion the god is the biggest doctor

Jennifer: ok whatever...just get this thing over with honey

Bittoo: hang on sweetheart we're almost done...hor kuch puchhna tusi?

Vichola: aaho, meri fees kithe aa?