fight and stabbings at California Gurdwara

Mehtab Singh

one time i went to yuba city gurdwara because some relatives were holding a phaat, and these two groups were there, i sat down with my cousin to eat langar, and and within minutes these two groups of people fighting with each other like little girls right acorss from us accusing each other of looking at each other in a bad way this and that small things and they started to all fight right over us, my cousin and I kept still till they came right o ntop of us and then moved out the way, they stepped in each others food the daal etc went flying everywhere, all the plates were smashed but incredibely both of our plates remained untouched and as they were even though the groups were fighting right overt it, all other plates didnt even look like plates anymore

these same shameless ppl didnt care to clean up at all, got more langar, when cops came none would blame themselves and they all turned goongay

This is wrong on so many levels. The sad thing is, this sceanrio could be played out in any Gurdwara Sahib anywhere in the world. I personally think there should not be commitees in Gurughars. As always the two sometimes 3 opposing sides try to point score amongst each other.

Instead as you do need someone in charge finances should be controlled by trustees, with full disclosure avaliable to the sangat. All bank statements on notice boards every month. Donations are to be made public and any sangat member can be present. Better still the charavah should be counted infront of sangat after samaptee. All other decisions should be made by the whole sangat not just the commitee board members, this could be every Sunday after the diwan. This is just of the top off my head it most probably is not practical but can anyone really say they whole heartedly trust the majority of Gurdwara commitees?

This made me really sad because something somewhat similar is happening in my local Gurdwara. And to know that the same situation is in many other Gurdwareh in the world is really depressing. People bring their personal problems into a holy spiritual place. What kind of examples are we setting for other people and our future generations? Is a Gurdwara really a place for politics? I agree with the previous poster there should not be a need for committees to exist. Saareya nu aapdeh chaudar di payi reihndi ah. Teh Guru Ghar nu mazak samajh rakheya. Jado rab di lathi pau gi odho samajh au gi saareya nu. We go to the Gurdwara to learn something and connect with Maharaj but when things like these happen we can't even concentrate :(

Pata nai ki hou ga aapna. Gurdwareh tah sambhal nai hundeh aapni committees toh, bakki ki umeed karni.