Sign in to follow this  
Into the Light

How long was Guru Hargobind Sahib imprisoned for?

A number of differing accounts. What is consistent is that he was young when he was released so either late teens or early twenties and he was in prison for a significant duration. Historian Sangat Singh has gone with the bold figure of 7 years whilst many internet sources appear to say 2-3 years. I have never heard of the 40 days version though...

i havent heard 7 years either, the book i read it from mentions roughly 1 year. Has anyone checked what Gurbilas Patshahi shevin has to say?

How could such an event be so vague? I don't understand this. 7 years vs 40 days vs 1 year. This is mind boggling.

I don't know where these numbers are coming from. It is exactly 14 months.

• Like 1

In grand scheme of things it does not matter if it was 2 weeks-4 months- 14 months -7 years..now does it? I mean i can understand if you are sikh historian but why does it concern normal joe blow sikh on accuracy of guru maharaj time spent in jail? whats next? people want to know if guru maharaj lived in solitary confinement? .. What matter is events associated with bandi chor divas, endless attributes of guru maharaj- staying in vahiguroo's bhana and hakum of divine and attributes of sabar-patience and shokar- contentment. We should be looking at the attributes associated with it not so much so concentrating on nitty gritty details.. again if you are sikh historian then its totally fine..my post is more towards regular joe blow sikh like me..!!

• Like 1

It doen't really matter. What matters is how Guru Hargobind changed the Sikh ideals and identity. In those times after Guru Hargobind armed the sikh they lived like an almost seperate unit from the normal people. Guru Hrgobind was very daring. Dont forget about Bidhi Chand and the horses.

And how are you so sure about this when there are several different time frames being thrown around?

I heard this from the rasna of a puran brahmgyani that it was exactly 14 months. If anyone thinks their source is more reliable, please let me know..

I heard this from the rasna of a puran brahmgyani that it was exactly 14 months. If anyone thinks their source is more reliable, please let me know..

I don't think it is 14 months because 14 months is actually the missing time period from documentation. Because between 1617 and 1619 (14 months in between somewhere), they know of other events and that he was also in prison some time within that period.

Because 14 months is the time that can't be accounted for exactly by date, some have assumed that he was in prison all that time.

This isn't actually correct because there were numerous other accounts that took place outside of prison within that time scale.