Horseback riding and Sikhs

i have three horses, many sikhs love horse riding in all punjab. it is the hobby of specially jatts in villages ,

KHALSA SOYE JO CHADE TURANG ,

KHALSA SOYE JO KRE NITT JANG

So pretty.

I took horseback lessons and I used to have a horse but he died.Im looking at a free horse right now.

You are really lucky to have three.I only had one :(

I noticed back in Punjab that horse riding in some villages is regaining popularity and its now even started to become a craze to give a nukra horse as a gift to the son-in-law on the occassion of marriage (whether he knows what to do with it or not).

However quality of horses remain poor. Looking at European artists who captured the Sikhs from the days of Ranjit Singh, the horses we used to keep were similar phenotypically to Arabs. Apparently in the earlier Misldari period, Sardars would raid Mughal, Persian and Afghan camps and take the best horses. The Mughals used to breed the famous Anmol breed in the Punjab and I think this is now extinct.

Some good examples of native horses that I have seen at melas in Punjab are from the Marwari breed - but again pure breeds are rare. I once saw the Marwari stallion kept by Sukhbir Badal who apparently is a good rider and its a fine beast of the breed - one if the most beautiful examples I've ever seen.

At these melas farmers that I've spoken to say its a hobby for them and some breed to sell on. But no one said they had the means to go for top breeds, saying it was due to the costs. When you mention our history and hertitage to them, they all go on about how for those times that was fair enough, but these days its a Land Cruiser that's what the man with that sort of money wants - not a fancy steed. Its a shame.

I noticed back in Punjab that horse riding in some villages is regaining popularity and its now even started to become a craze to give a nukra horse as a gift to the son-in-law on the occassion of marriage (whether he knows what to do with it or not).

However quality of horses remain poor. Looking at European artists who captured the Sikhs from the days of Ranjit Singh, the horses we used to keep were similar phenotypically to Arabs. Apparently in the earlier Misldari period, Sardars would raid Mughal, Persian and Afghan camps and take the best horses. The Mughals used to breed the famous Anmol breed in the Punjab and I think this is now extinct.

Some good examples of native horses that I have seen at melas in Punjab are from the Marwari breed - but again pure breeds are rare. I once saw the Marwari stallion kept by Sukhbir Badal who apparently is a good rider and its a fine beast of the breed - one if the most beautiful examples I've ever seen.

At these melas farmers that I've spoken to say its a hobby for them and some breed to sell on. But no one said they had the means to go for top breeds, saying it was due to the costs. When you mention our history and hertitage to them, they all go on about how for those times that was fair enough, but these days its a Land Cruiser that's what the man with that sort of money wants - not a fancy steed. Its a shame.

Beautiful post. Perhaps we should revive this thread if there is an interest?:

I agree and also get used to using hand pumps, wells and desi chullah's

actually there were no handpumps to extract water freom wells, it was a good ol plain rassa and balti.

With all cash flowing into gurughars, maybe these committees should cease trying to make party halls and instead make something that teaches Sikh kids about their martial history as well as providing the community with a cool little place that isn't the preserve of rich folks with lots of money?

As the city gurdwaras were gifted a massive field by the council, i suggested to an elder sikh, that it would be brilliant to use it for horse-riding, but he just laughed. But i would love for all gurdwaras in local circles to get together and buya a field and some horses, and start teaching this art to younger sikhs.

Horse riding is a good thing as it teaches you about the animal, its welfare, as well as letting you enjoy a new skill and exercise.

Problem is how we prioritise something like this in the modern world. Its a hobby that requires work and committment over a long term and for me the most painful aspect is the cost (my kids ride) - lessons, equipment, the dreaded day when your daughter says 'daddy I want a pony,' the insurance, vets fees, the next dreaded day when the other daughter says 'daddy I also want my own pony,' the injuries (expect a broken collar bone or arm at some stage) and livery fees.

Personally I prefer a round of golf myself.

expense the key, it is very expensive, but if there are groups of people who share the cost, it may be easier.

Golf is an anceint game as well do you know? The Romans were very fond of golf, but i dont know who invented it.

Countries develop stealth bombers and Singhs wanna learn horse riding... Unbelievable.

In Guru jis day Singhs were using modern muskets not sticks and stones. Guru ji wanted Singhs to stay temporal... Not in the past

the great war to end Kalyug will not be by stealt bombers or technology, it will be on horseback with swords and bows and arrows, according to a Nihang Singh friend of mine.

i have three horses, many sikhs love horse riding in all punjab. it is the hobby of specially jatts in villages ,

you lucky lucky so and so.

actually there were no handpumps to extract water freom wells, it was a good ol plain rassa and balti.

As the city gurdwaras were gifted a massive field by the council, i suggested to an elder sikh, that it would be brilliant to use it for horse-riding, but he just laughed. But i would love for all gurdwaras in local circles to get together and buya a field and some horses, and start teaching this art to younger sikhs.

expense the key, it is very expensive, but if there are groups of people who share the cost, it may be easier.

Golf is an anceint game as well do you know? The Romans were very fond of golf, but i dont know who invented it.

the great war to end Kalyug will not be by stealt bombers or technology, it will be on horseback with swords and bows and arrows, according to a Nihang Singh friend of mine.

you lucky lucky so and so.

The great war will be fought with arrows,swords,horseback etc.

Anmol bread had nothing to do with the Mughals. The Punjabi were fond of arabi, persian and turkoman horses. Local mares would be covered by these. Today it is all marwari stallions with the odd Sindhi being used to cover mares so the arabi and other influences have been bred out of Punabi horses.

Its not really about the cost its about fashion. There are plenty of good thoroughbreds to be had at low prices in Punjab but they all want marwari (because of the ears). Sukhbir Badals Raj-Hans is a great looking stallion. He also used to have a draft horse imported from Ireland as well as some miniature ponies.

There are plenty of good horses in Punjab. You just have to know where to find them. If you are in the loop then you can spend weeks visiting stud farms in Punjab and seeing well bred horses. If you are going to ask you chacha in Jalandhar to show you a horse then you will see a cart horse!!

The Punjabi were fond of arabi, persian and turkoman horses. Local mares would be covered by these.

do you think this is anything to do with recent history ie creation of pakistan that Sikhs are no lnger interested in their horses? Or what is interesting about pre-partition india is that it bordered iran, and so was right next to middle east/arabic lands before pakistan was created.

Punjab used to be the first port of call for horse traders from Persia and beyond. So our people would bag the best before the mughals etc got the rest of the stock.

The Lakhi jungle etc provided a good breeding area and these imports would be used to cover local mares. The result was the lakhi horse or what people now call the Sindhi breed.

The horses in Pak Punjab today have no Marwari influence. Trouble with our people is that the other mans kachee looks better than their own so they have all flocked to the marwari.

Horse breeding is still big in Malwa, I guess Jalandharia have other shounk such as putting speakers and mp3 players on their tractors.

It would not require much to revive the puratan horse type nasala. Import a few arabi, turkoman stallions and let them loose on local mares. This will never happen though because of this Marwari love affair that Punjabis have developed.

I like the Marwari breed but nothing wrong in going back and breeding horses like in the 18th century.