Sangat

anothersimpleSikh

VJKK VJKF

If you live somewhere with little or no sangat and you hear about all sorts of events going on in places where there are loadsa sangat, what events would you LOVE to have the most?

I dont mean just one offs or nething, but every week, wot wud be wkd to have?

I ask this because currently in Wolverhampton, UK (where i live) there are LOADS of Sikhs... but the problem is that unlike other densely populated areas such as Birmingham n Southall, we dont have anything going on for the Sikh youth where they can come every week and indulge in sangat. I mean Uni Sikh Soc is ok but i think you need to catch the youth earlier on in their teens to bring them into Sikhi... otherwise it gets harder once ure personality has developed and ure an adult.

So what would be an ideal weekly event that isnt going to be boring for teenagers?

Or any other ideas are welcome!

Learning how to do paath with the youth

Learning how to be a sikh with help from Youth Sangat

Learning Bani off by heart in case we get locked up in Jail

Weapon Lessons , like using AK47 and driving Tanks so on

Learning how to kill people with one blow, so the person we kill does not dies in much Pain.

Learning how to Cook and living off the Land, in case we have to live in the Jungla.

Main thing would be how to learn to be a Saint Soldier

We need a camp like the Khalsa Farm. Not the fake one, but the one like the one Bhai Fauja Singh Jee started.

We are getting far to weak.

not too sure about the tank-driving :wub:

but definetly should learn self-defence but not this karate stuff. A lot of my good friends know martial arts and show off a lot by giving people some digs...

anyway the biggest show off got kicked in a weak part of his anatomy by his kid brother and went down for the count.

My point: people should be given SAS survival books and simpler training on how to defend themselves with a few basic choice moves and not this HIIIIIIIIIIYAAAAAAA business

maybe even modern guerilla warfare

:lol:

also there should be youth orientated kirtan, aelf defence, it skills, gurmukhi reading, etc. classes

:(

ohh good stuff!

is there neway to make weekly keertan different?

would setting different themes every so often help? like jus changing the mood with lighting and candles n stuff? And also, is it gud to do storytelling (someone suggested to me this morning) between or after keertan but doing it with proper voices professionally?

and in terms of keertan... is it ok to set a certain theme for the keertan? Like lets say if one of the days, u hold a sort of "caste day" where the stories that are read are about caste and the shabads that are sung are also about caste? n then u alternate between themes? Maybe have discussion at the end?

Sound ne good?

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru jiki fateh

awesome ideas..

it depends on how old the people are in the sangat. start out with sports...most of us like to play...

involve the youth as much as possible..dont take lead..but just be like them... ask them what they want u to do..and how do they want u to help them out, instead of ordering them. kids these days thing they"know it all" so thats why..jus use some psychology :e:

if u get them involved..then they will have to do the work and will be more intrested, thy'll bring their friends to make the weekly prog succesful ( u can also make it to be every other weekthing)

ofcourse ...when they be thinking about it..as anyother kid would do..jus give them ur input as well on what u think of teh idea(if they come up with anything)...

u will be incharge but keep it invisble(if u knwo what i mean blush.gif )

play soccer(footbalL:nihungsmile:

my 2 cents

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I remember as a child, i used to attend Gurmat classes held once a week at the local gurdwara. These classes were extremly successful and the youth were able to learn the basics of Sikhi. I personally learnt my nitnem from these classes and it gave me more confidence to go foward with sikhi in my life. there used to be talks about sikh history and janam sakhi's of our Gurus.

Perhaps these could be held in towns? there could be classes for younger children and then the older ...kids.