I'm Losing Faith In Sikhism. How Do I Tell My Parents?

Guest Anon

Finding discrepancies in Sikhi at the age of 16? Interesting! First of all, none of the Guru Sahibaan were violent. Even Guru Nanak Patshah Jee Maharaj had a barsha which is still preserved. Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj has written and uttered such amazing Bani that is miles away from violence. No where has Guru Sahib said that one particular community was superior. Maanas Ki Jaat Sabhai Ekai Pehchaanbo. As for the Sikh appearance, its nothing to do with pride. Its our uniform, its our identity, its something we have died for and will die for. Why we have a distinct appearance? Well, lets see...you find me someone else who ever walked this planet and comes anywhere close to the dust below Dasmesh Pita jee's feet. You won't, therefore, since we belong to the One who doesn't have an equal, we are to carry His blessings as a sign that we belong to Him. Its not about ego, pride or arrogance, its our allegiance to Him. Even a pet dog has a collar which means it belongs to someone. Every soldier has a uniform. We are His soldiers and we are faithful to Him like a dog is to its master. Thus we carry His blessed appearance which He has gifted us. Sikhs don't turn their back on Guru Sahib's paavan pavittar saroop, because our Guru Sahib is not an idol, or a book, or someone who died in the past. Guru Sahib is jaagdi jot, eternal illuminance free from birth and death. Anyone who compares someone's turning back to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj with Guru Sahib's pointing feet towards Mecca should wake up to the fact that he/she is NOT Guru Nanak Patshah Jee Maharaj. Guru Sahib was teaching a lesson, what lesson is this person trying to teach? If someone is so adamant to compare themselves to Guru Sahib, they should first come forward and sacrifice their entire clan for the Panth. All the Guru Sahibaan were ONE jot, so thinking that one Guru Sahib's saroop was different from another is like saying the sun that shines over New York is different from the one that shines over New Jersey.

At the end of the day, its your life, your kesh, and your relation with Gurujee. You judge what is more important for you and what your priorities in life are. If its Guru Sahib, you won't have any questions. If its anything/anyone else, good luck!

Wow... Damn bro, you should be our agony aunty ji. You have such good replies, I mean you really are a god-send. :D

You were missed when you were getting married.

When someone begins walking this path, they become a light for the rest of this dark, gloomy world. YOU are the one that is entrusted with the Guru's work. Your kesh and pagh is there to how people you are ready to help, to show that you won't hide in the crowd. Also, isn't it better to raise people to the status of a king, rather than the status of a beggar?

Have you ever had a toy or made something that you really liked. It was your faivourite thing in the world. But your mum tries throwing it away. What do you do? You defend it so that it isn't thrown away and you keep it. It's the same as Sikhi. Sikhi is a rose, but people want to destroy it's beauty. How does this rose defend itself? With thorns. These thorns are our swords. We defend what is prescious to us, just like the rose tries to defend itself.

But it's up to you as everyone else has said.

• 2 months later...

Okay I'm 16 Years old and I have found some discrepancies in Sikhism that have caused me to lose faith. First of all guru Nanak dev ji did all he could to avoid violence and he was automatically respected wherever he went. Guru gobind Singh ji was war oriented and proclaimed Sikhs as the warrior race. Guru gobind Singh ji also said that we must keep a turban and Kesh. On the other hand guru Nanak dev ji said in one of his sakhis where the pandit was tying a bracelet on him, that he won't wear it because no exterior feature will help someone reach god. In addition guru Nanak dev ji said that it doesn't matter what religion you are as long as you're one with god and are humble. Guru Gobind Singh ji said we should wear a turban because kings at the time wore it and we should be proclaimed as kings. In my opinion that's not humble at all. Guru Nanak dev ji said that we are all equal no matter what and you shouldn't care if you have something others don't. Guru gobind Singh ji gave us a turban so we stick out and be recognized as Sikhs. Again not humble. Also Sikhs are not allowed to have their backs and feet towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. But guru Nanak dev ji in one of his sakhis guru nakak dev ji went to a mosque and pointed his feet towards Mecca which Muslims could not do but he said that god is everywhere. I believe in guru Nanak dev ji but not the others after him. I believe I should cut my kesh now because I don't see a reason to keep it. How do I approach my parents about this? They aren't really religious and my dad trims but he loves India and Indian culture. He's very authoritarian but how do I approach my patents about this?

OP now i know why you posted as Anon because these questions are so basic even basic research will provide answers but seems as you are not willing to learn and to be a sikh YOU MUST be willing to learn.

at the end of the day its your life approach your parents however you as a parent would want to be approached, say in 30 years time when you have a teenager and he thinks its ok to do something that you are against.

At the end of the day if you can honestly say that the reason you want to cut your hair is not for fashion/girls/peer pressure then i would be impressed, will it be a nose job for you in a few years if you dont like that facial feature :)

Lastly, remember you are posting on a SIKH forum and as much as you are our little brother it is our father you are calling "not humble/not humble at all/war orientated" before we let you slander our father anymore we would be remiss to warn you that we are his sikhs and we are fearless

I have some questions:

Do only pure khalsa achieve oneness with god?

What about people like Bhagat Kabir and the nine previous gurus before Guru Gobind Singh Ji? They were not Khalsa.

All Gurus were one jot. Guru Gobind Singh Sahib took Amrit from 5 pyare. Prior to that the way of taking amrit was "charan-pahul" of the Gurus.

Regarding Kabir Sahib, you might not believe, but they came to Guru Sahib with Mata Loi ji and took di daat of Amrit. And all other bhagats in some way or other took Amrit like Bhagat Dhanna Ji accompanied Dasvein paatshah as Bhai Daya Singh ji. Those who don't believe this.... fine, please don't start arguiung here, already have so many threads on this.

Thirdly, you should try to think what is meant by "Khalsa" actually. Why did Guru Sahib chose this word only coz it means "Pure". It is not meant to be just for Sikh, but for every religion possible on earth. Now every "soul" seperated from waheguru ji (regardless of the religion), has this ultimate goal of "being one with HIM". Guru Nanak Sahib actually started the base of Khalsa, by infusing vand shako, kirat karo, naam japo, gareebi, haleemi, getting rid of vices etc. Dhan Sri Hargobind Singh Sahib ji introduced the Sipahi aspect after the shaheedi of Guru Arjan Paatshah and Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji after the shaheedi of Guru Tag Bahadur Sahib, brought both together as Sant-Siphai by blessing them with the daat of "Amrit". It was a pre-planned way of teaching.

Now some people take Amrit first and then work on spirituality, and some are spiritual before they take Amrit. So it depends on every individual's faith, past karams, Guru sahibs bakhshish, kirpa, taras. No one can predict how one will achive oneness with God coz it's based on so many factors. But one thing is sure that one has to take "Amrit" because it is our Guru Sahibs hukum. Saying this ke "dil saaf hona chahida, amrit di ki lorh hai" is a sign of ignorance because we all know Guru Sahib's heart is the purest of all, and he still took Amrit from 5 pyaare.

Bhul chuk maaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

if u r really willing to sambhal ur sikhi then this might boost ur moral to stay on path

but if u are here just to announce the badavah then nothing will help

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piyasi_chatrik/4698233320/in/photostream/lightbox/

take a look shastars of satguru gurdev dhan dhan baba guru nanak dev ji maharaj and maharaj did teach shastar vidya to baba budha sahib ji too

and guru gobind singh ji is not at all violent listen to the complete katha total 6 parts each vaguely 9mints a total of 60 mints

ੴ सति नामु करता पुरखु निरभउ निरवैरु अकाल मूरति अजूनी सैभं गुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯ nām karṯā purakẖ nirbẖa▫o nirvair akāl mūraṯ ajūnī saibẖaʼn gur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond
Birth, Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace ~
ਜਪੁ
जपु ॥
Jap.
Chant And Meditate:
आदि सचु जुगादि सचु ॥
Āḏ sacẖ jugāḏ sacẖ.
True In The Primal Beginning. True Throughout The Ages.
है भी सचु नानक होसी भी सचु ॥१॥
Hai bẖī sacẖ Nānak hosī bẖī sacẖ. ||1||
True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True. ||1||

mool mantar sahib ji bani guru granth sahib ji by jagat guru pita pehli patshahi dhan dhan guru nanak dev ji maharaj

ਦਸਮ ਗਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ
दसम गरंथ साहिब
DASAM GRANTH SAHIB

ਮੁਖ ਭਾਗ 1
मुख भाग 1
CHAPTER 1

ਜਾਪੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ
जापु साहिब
JAPU SAHIB

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
The Lord is One and He can be attained through the grace of the true Guru.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ ॥
स्री वाहिगुरू जी की फ़तह ॥
The Lord is One and the victory is of the Lord.

ਜਾਪੁ ॥
जापु ॥
NAME OF THE BANI.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀ ੧੦ ॥
स्री मुखवाक पातिसाही १० ॥
The sacred utterance of The Tenth Sovereign:

ਛਪੈ ਛੰਦ ॥ ਤ੍ਵਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
छपै छंद ॥ त्वप्रसादि ॥
CHHAPAI STANZA. BY THY GRACE

ਚੱਕ੍ਰ ਚਿਹਨ ਅਰੁ ਬਰਨ ਜਾਤਿ ਅਰੁ ਪਾਤਿ ਨਹਿਨ ਜਿਹ ॥
च्क्र चिहन अरु बरन जाति अरु पाति नहिन जिह ॥
He who is without mark or sign, He who is without caste or line.

ਰੂਪ ਰੰਗ ਅਰੁ ਰੇਖ ਭੇਖ ਕੋਊ ਕਹਿ ਨ ਸਕਤਿ ਕਿਹ ॥
रूप रंग अरु रेख भेख कोऊ कहि न सकति किह ॥
He who is without colour or form, and without any distinctive norm.

ਅਚਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਨਭਉ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ ਅਮਿਤੋਜਿ ਕਹਿਜੈ ॥
अचल मूरति अनभउ प्रकास अमितोजि कहिजै ॥
He who is without limit and motion, All effulgence, non-descript Ocean.

ਕੋਟਿ ਇੰਦ੍ਰ ਇੰਦ੍ਰਾਣਿ ਸਾਹੁ ਸਾਹਾਣਿ ਗਣਿਜੈ ॥
कोटि इंद्र इंद्राणि साहु साहाणि गणिजै ॥
The Lord of millions of Indras and kings, the Master of all worlds and beings.

ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਮਹੀਪ ਸੁਰ ਨਰ ਅਸੁਰ ਨੇਤਿ ਨੇਤਿ ਬਨ ਤ੍ਰਿਣ ਕਹਤ ॥
त्रिभवण महीप सुर नर असुर नेति नेति बन त्रिण कहत ॥
Each twig of the foliage proclaims: "Not this Thou art.

ਤ੍ਵ ਸਰਬ ਨਾਮ ਕਥੈ ਕਵਨ ਕਰਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਰਣਤ ਸੁਮਤਿ ॥੧॥
त्व सरब नाम कथै कवन करम नाम बरणत सुमति ॥१॥
All Thy Names cannot be told. One doth impart Thy Action-Name with benign heart.1

jaap sahib ji bani dasam granth by valiye do jahan guru gobind singh ji maharaj

think your self is there any difference in guru nanak dev ji maharaj and guru gobind singh ji maharaj

your heart is not pure..its being attracted to outer imaginary money world...If you believe in baba nanak then he was also keshdhari. with long beard. All Gurus were Keshdhari.....All true bhagats were keshdhari Why were They Keshdhari??? Have you ever tried to know about it why were they Keshdhari?????? No....Because You did not want to...

...Do whatever you want to do..but don't stab sikhi without any reason and after being mona ..don't consider yourself as Sikh never ever in life because we want True sikhs who can give lessons about sikhi to their next generation.. We don't need any hypocrite sikhs like you who have always low esteem and self confidence.....

At last I can just say you are IGNORANT Guy...Maybe you can have whatever the reason.

and pls My Request to all questioners don't come with such cheesy and cheap Questions..I have seen many question heres that show the cheap mentality and poor up bringing of such hypocrite sikhs who come with such questions about love with bf or gf,,,sex relations,,cut of hair,,,blah blah....

Ask yourself for once Thats what sikhi teaches about??? eh lokaan ne sikh panth agge leke jaana???

dub maro kite ide toh changa...

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh ji

has every body noticed the TS has just started the thread and vanished

unfortunately i feel these ppl anonymously posting such threads aren't sikhs but are muslim or hindu guys who just want to understand the mindset of sikh youngsters and the sikh history too so that they can launch their grooming campaigns cleverly and undefeatedly try to convert sikh youngsters and many such sites and youtube videos are coming up in short span now days

i may be completely wrong but this is what i feel if they already have the knowledge of upcoming tark they will be able to create good loop holes to counter it and brain wash kids

bhul chuk muaf karni