Sikhi & Contraception

Guest JSingh

I always hear senior GurSikhs from various Jathas say youth should get married earlier and some have attributed kaam as a reason for this as well.

How does that fit in with this discussion?

Have you read guru gobind Singh Jim's bhachans that I posted before?If not then here it is again

ਸੁਰ੍ਮਾਦਿਕ ਸ਼ਿੰਗਾਰ ਨਹ‌ਿ ਨਹ‌ਿ ਪਰ ਤਰੁਨੀ ਸੰਗ All forms of makeup and the relationship with anothers wife, he forsakes.

ਯਥਾਰਥ ਇਸਤਰੀ ਤ੍ਯਾਗ ਨਹ‌ਿੰ ਗੁਰ੍ਕੋ ਧਿਆਨ ਅਭੰਗ | He does not forsake woman altogether (his own wife), always remaining focused on the Guru

I did read it, but Gurbani defines what........"does not forsake woman altogether" actually means. Leaving it at, "does not forsake woman altogether" is very ambiguous and does not give exact direction. It can mean both extremes, who knows only the composer can clarify. Which they do in Gurbani. Therefore as Sikhs we need to look at Gurbani for exact direction. I guess some like the ambiguous Hukams because it allows them to have so called more freedom to indulge in the 5 vices. However, being a Sikh I prefer to learn deeper and keep trying to follow the directions of Gurbani.

Guest jetsingh

Just do what you want. This is dragging so long. There are other issues far more important. There are billions of different regard. People are cutting mool mamtar short and missing banks. Abortions are taking place. Look at all the vulnerable girl cases going on. And all you want to argue is "can I wear a condom?" or "no I cannot wear a condom!". This is not a bujjar kurahat to wear a condom. There are singhs that do stupid acts after taking amrit, there are girls that don't even follow the main principle and guidelines, too many girls and boys are having relationships, even those who you wouldn't imagine. And the amount of time you guys are wasting on a useless topic! We have problems such as families of shahheds needing help and Singh in jail need releasing. We need to educate todays generation who are too commonly engaging with the opposite gender. I am more than certain that no one even cares if someone wears contraception or not. I would say do whatever as long as it doesn't affect your sikhi and you stay on track. If wearing a condom was such a big issue i am sure that this would have been made clear to us. But no. The sin is to commit an affair. It is not a sin to wear contraception. And the rest i would say just interpret it however you want. Surely waxing/drinking is far worse than wearing a condom. And we are humans beings. We cannot be compared to the gurus. They were nirlep. We are imperfect. Yes we are encouraged to follow their footsteps but we cannot be perfect. What's the problem if a Singh is a great gursikh, always on track, looks at no one except his wife, he is allowed to wear a condom. We are not Muslims! They are extreme. If we were only to have it for reproduction you might aswell ... Sorry if i have said anything out of order.

Just do what you want. This is dragging so long. There are other issues far more important. There are billions of different regard. People are cutting mool mamtar short and missing banks. Abortions are taking place. Look at all the vulnerable girl cases going on. And all you want to argue is "can I wear a condom?" or "no I cannot wear a condom!". This is not a bujjar kurahat to wear a condom. There are singhs that do stupid acts after taking amrit, there are girls that don't even follow the main principle and guidelines, too many girls and boys are having relationships, even those who you wouldn't imagine. And the amount of time you guys are wasting on a useless topic! We have problems such as families of shahheds needing help and Singh in jail need releasing. We need to educate todays generation who are too commonly engaging with the opposite gender. I am more than certain that no one even cares if someone wears contraception or not. I would say do whatever as long as it doesn't affect your sikhi and you stay on track. If wearing a condom was such a big issue i am sure that this would have been made clear to us. But no. The sin is to commit an affair. It is not a sin to wear contraception. And the rest i would say just interpret it however you want. Surely waxing/drinking is far worse than wearing a condom. And we are humans beings. We cannot be compared to the gurus. They were nirlep. We are imperfect. Yes we are encouraged to follow their footsteps but we cannot be perfect. What's the problem if a Singh is a great gursikh, always on track, looks at no one except his wife, he is allowed to wear a condom. We are not Muslims! They are extreme. If we were only to have it for reproduction you might aswell ... Sorry if i have said anything out of order.

There is a thread on here about the Guru's height, yet you choose to take your frustration out on this thread. Sound like you really don't care about the other issues you brought up, but are using them as an excuse to not focus on why contraception are used in the first place. Sikhi is determined by Gurbani and not by personal behaviour. Discussing a issue in detail is not a wrong act, but ignoring or stopping others from discussing it is acting like butcher of the world.

• 2 weeks later...