Is There A Right Way Of Doing Naam Japna?

bdemon

i play guitar while singing waheguru, doing this made me curious if theres like one best way to do naam japna and just thought i would post this to see how other people do their naam simran :)

ਸਾਚੁ ਕਹੋਂ ਸੁਨ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਭੈ ਜਿਨ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਕੀਓ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਪਾਇਓ ॥੯॥ Sach kahon sun leho sabai jin prem kio tin hee prabh paio. I tell the truth; listen everyone. Only those who have Loved, will realize the Lord. (9)

isrIrwgu mhlw 3 ] (35-4)
sireeraag mehlaa 3.
Siree Raag, Third Mehl:

jy vylw vKqu vIcwrIAY qw ikqu vylw Bgiq hoie ] (35-4, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)
jay vaylaa vakhat veechaaree-ai taa kit vaylaa bhagat ho-ay.
Consider the time and the moment-when should we worship the Lord?

Anidnu nwmy riqAw scy scI soie ] (35-4, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)
an-din naamay rati-aa sachay sachee so-ay.
Night and day, one who is attuned to the Name of the True Lord is true.

ieku iqlu ipAwrw ivsrY Bgiq iknyhI hoie ] (35-5, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)
ik til pi-aaraa visrai bhagat kinayhee ho-ay.
If someone forgets the Beloved Lord, even for an instant, what sort of devotion is that?

mnu qnu sIqlu swc isau swsu n ibrQw koie ]1] (35-5, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)
man tan seetal saach si-o saas na birthaa ko-ay. ||1||
One whose mind and body are cooled and soothed by the True Lord-no breath of his is wasted. ||1||

myry mn hir kw nwmu iDAwie ] (35-6, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)
mayray man har kaa naam Dhi-aa-ay.
O my mind, meditate on the Name of the Lord.

swcI Bgiq qw QIAY jw hir vsY min Awie ]1] rhwau ] (35-6, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)
saachee bhagat taa thee-ai jaa har vasai man aa-ay. ||1|| rahaa-o.
True devotional worship is performed when the Lord comes to dwell in the mind. ||1||Pause||

The last line of this shabad tells you how true worship is performed.

There is a sakhi on Guru Gobind Singh Ji - which at the moment I cannot find the exact details of.

Basically it is about a sikh who is doing Sukhmani sahib - reading it in the darbar and Guru Gobind singh Ji asks some sikhs to go and perform kirtan.

The man cannot concentrate and finish his path. He then goes and asks Guru Ji as to why he did not wait until he finishes his path and then give hukam for the kirtan to start.

Guru Ji answers that he did it on purpose to show the power of using music when praying to God. The mind gets attuned better and also others can hear it.

Do you are doing the right thing. Keep it up.

Naam Japna has no counter reactions, but only positive results.

And this Naam japna can be done in 2 ways.

One is by repeating it with the mouth, which is a good start. We get imbued with faith and love for Wahiguru. This can be done for as much time as one can.

It may last some minutes or hours, it all depends on one´s mental and spiritual conditions.

Then the second one is by sitting on a chair or any place which we may find comfortable, and is done by keeping the back straight and with the eyes closed, and then repeat Wahiguru for example.

It should be done with full attention or concentration.

At first thoughts may disturb us, as they flow with full force and may not allow us to concentrate, but nevertheless we should not give up and continue, like a soldier fighting with enemy, ultimately the enemy will be knocked out, but the thing is to stick with faith, love and devotion.

Like a child learning to walk, may fall several times before he can walk and run one day, but the secret is not giving up. Even our life may pass away with apparent no results, it does not matter, with His grace, we shall continue with His bhakti in our next lives in better circumstances.

No Simran ever goes in waste, rather it is the true spiritual "dhan" wealth which we shall carry with us.

The again with His grace, when we insist in this jugtee, in due time, a spiritual revealation or awareness will take within us.

Just as Third Patshahee tells us in Anand Sahib: Naam jiske man vaseeya, vaajeh Shabad ganere.

If the Naam japna, is willingly and strongly implemented in our minds, then, we may be sure we shall defeat the mind and the vaasnas or vanquish the 5 vikaars, and drink within us, the Amrit of Naam which is continously flowing within us nonstop the 24 hours.

With this, all our karmas, whether of past, present or future shall be burnt away as a huge stock of dry grass with a single spark.

Further on, by this very japna, we shall board the Jahaz of Naam and reach our Nijh Ghar, for which, Guru Sahiban says: Nanak Naam Jahaz hae, jin chareeya se utareeya paar.

This is sikhee or Gurmat in simple lines.

I am not discovering anything new, but just highlighting the essence of Gurmat, and sharing with all my Gursikh brothers and sisters, and trying to inspire all to find the Spiritual Gems or true wealth in Gurbani, and make yourself truly rich, with full love and devotion for His Lotus Feet.

May God bless you.

Sat Sree Akal.

ਇਕ ਦੂ ਜੀਭੌ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਲਖ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਲਖ ਵੀਸ ॥ इक दू जीभौ लख होहि लख होवहि लख वीस ॥ Ik ḏū jībẖou lakẖ hohi lakẖ hovėh lakẖ vīs.

If I had 100,000 tongues, and these were then multiplied twenty times more, with each tongue,

ਲਖੁ ਲਖੁ ਗੇੜਾ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਗਦੀਸ ॥ लखु लखु गेड़ा आखीअहि एकु नामु जगदीस ॥ Lakẖ lakẖ geṛā ākẖī▫ahi ek nām jagḏīs.

I would repeat, hundreds of thousands of times, the Name of the One, the Lord of the Universe.

ਏਤੁ ਰਾਹਿ ਪਤਿ ਪਵੜੀਆ ਚੜੀਐ ਹੋਇ ਇਕੀਸ ॥ एतु राहि पति पवड़ीआ चड़ीऐ होइ इकीस ॥ Ėṯ rāhi paṯ pavṛī▫ā cẖaṛī▫ai ho▫e ikīs.

Along this path to our Husband Lord, we climb the steps of the ladder, and come to merge with Him.

ਸੁਣਿ ਗਲਾ ਆਕਾਸ ਕੀ ਕੀਟਾ ਆਈ ਰੀਸ ॥ सुणि गला आकास की कीटा आई रीस ॥ Suṇ galā ākās kī kītā ā▫ī rīs. Hearing of the etheric realms, even worms long to come back home.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਕੂੜੀ ਕੂੜੈ ਠੀਸ ॥੩੨॥ नानक नदरी पाईऐ कूड़ी कूड़ै ठीस ॥३२॥ Nānak naḏrī pā▫ī▫ai kūṛī kūrhai ṯẖīs. ||32||

O Nanak, by His Grace He is obtained. False are the boastings of the false. ||32||

post-24162-0-39320800-1442095973_thumb.j

Naam japna is called true bhakti, not because of anything else, but becuase is the only jugtee which makes us one with Naam, the spiritual form of Wahiguru.

Dhan Dhan Satgur Sachay Patshah Sree Guru Ram Das Maharaj, clearly points out for us the supreme importance of Naam Japna as means of true bhakti, in His pure Bani of Raag Bilaval.

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹੁ ਨਾਮੇ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਈਆ

Naam Japahu Naamae Gath Paavahu Simrith Saasathr Naam Dhrirreeaa

नामु जपहु नामे गति पावहु सिम्रिति सासत्र नामु द्रिड़ईआ

Chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and through the Naam, find emancipation. The Simritees and Shaastras recommend the Naam

(As seen above,It is only, and only by His Naam Japna, by which we can merge in Him, and not by any other means, howsoever dharmic or religious it may seem to us. Gurmat is important, not our own mental fantasies)

Sat Sree Akal.

इक दू जीभौ लख होहि लख होवहि लख वीस ॥
Ik ḏū jībẖou lakẖ hohi lakẖ hovėh lakẖ vīs.
From one tongue let my tongues become a lakh and the hundred thousand become twenty lakhs.
ਮੇਰੀ ਇਕ ਜ਼ਬਾਨ ਤੋਂ ਇਕ ਲੱਖ ਜ਼ਬਾਨਾਂ ਹੋ ਜਾਣ ਅਤੇ ਇਕ ਲੱਖ ਵੀਹੇ ਲਖ ਹੋ ਵੰਞਣ।
लखु लखु गेड़ा आखीअहि एकु नामु जगदीस ॥
Lakẖ lakẖ geṛā ākẖī▫ahi ek nām jagḏīs.
With each tongue lakhs over lakhs times, I would repeat the Name of the world's Lord.
ਹਰ ਇਕ ਜੀਭ ਨਾਲ ਮੈਂ ਲਖੂਖਾਂ ਵਾਰੀ ਸ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟੀ ਦੇ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਕਰਾਂਗਾ।
एतु राहि पति पवड़ीआ चड़ीऐ होइ इकीस ॥
Ėṯ rāhi paṯ pavṛī▫ā cẖaṛī▫ai ho▫e ikīs.
In this way of the Bridegroom, there are ladders, by ascending whose steps, I would become one with Him.
ਪਤੀ ਦੇ ਇਸ ਰਸਤੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਪਾਉੜੀਆਂ ਹਨ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਡੰਡਿਆਂ ਉਤੇ ਦੀ ਚੜ੍ਹ ਕੇ ਮੈਂ ਉਸ ਨਾਲ ਇਕ ਮਿਕ ਹੋ ਜਾਵਾਂਗੀ।
सुणि गला आकास की कीटा आई रीस ॥
Suṇ galā ākās kī kītā ā▫ī rīs.
By hearing celestial things even worms (the vile) wish to emulate.
ਬੈਕੁੰਠੀ ਬਾਤਾਂ ਸ੍ਰਵਣ ਕਰਕੇ ਕੀੜੇ (ਨੀਚ) ਭੀ ਨਕਲ ਕਰਨੀ ਚਾਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ।

नानक नदरी पाईऐ कूड़ी कूड़ै ठीस ॥३२॥
Nānak naḏrī pā▫ī▫ai kūṛī kūrhai ṯẖīs. ||32||
O Nanak! God is obtained by His grace and false is the boasting of the false.
ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਉਸਦੀ ਮਿਹਰ ਸਦਕਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਝੂਠੇ ਦੀ ਝੂਠੀ ਹੀ ਗੱਪ ਹੈ।

Please notice the difference in meanings in the English translation. These are done by Bhai Manmohan Singh. The ones quoted above have been by Dr Sant Singh Khalsa. When we go to Sri Granth please change the options listed above on the right hand side to Bhai Manmohan Singh.

Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa's meanings are changing the true meaning of Gurbani.

Here is the sakhi of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, which I had mentioned about earlier.

One day when Guru Ji was listening to kirtan in his darbar, a sikh came in and requested that the kirtani jatha should be punished.

When asked why - he explained that everyday he used to do sukhmani sahib dha path before they started their kirtan. However that particular day, he had not finished one astpadhi and he requested the jatha to delay a bit. The jatha refused and started their kirtan.

Guru Ji said he cannot punish the jatha. Anyone who does kirtan should not be punished because kirtan and naam are the ways we can save ourselves from kalyug. Those who talk when kirtan or Gurbani path is going on are the ones who should be punished.

Then Guru Ji went on to explain that when he did his path in a low voice - it was like offering us roasted seeds to eat after which we are still hungry. However when the jatha do kirtan (with a pure mind ), it is like offering us puri karah which is a heavy and satisfactory meal. Those who perform kirtan and also those who listen with a pure mind are not going to fall into the cycle of rebirth again.

Hearing this the Sikh was very pleased and he bowed down(matha tek) to Guru Ji.