Sikh Names

Guest Curious

Well wat wud b the point in just naming them after sikh warrior names, wen really thats my whole point of being bit different with kids names?

Thing is, sikhs have alot of names which dont even have anyfink 2 do with sikh dharam. Names like alamghir, iqbal, tanvir, ram, even hanuman r names that come frm other faiths, yet they r acceptable, so y not names of famous non-sikh warriors?

Names such as sikander (alexander), kamal (kamal mustafa attaturk), jujhar (sahibzada) r the 3 names that i was thinkin of. Even hari (nalwa). Obviously every name has to be taken into special consideration, i mean if an apna names their kid joshua/muhammed/moses/joseph/hailie/mazda etc then that wud be takin it too far.

Wat do u say?

what is your aim ? is it to give a name which will inspire the kid to become a great gursikh and jodha or is it to be 'individual' 'unique' blah blah compared to other sikh kids ?

if it is the former then you need to focus on the meaning of that name i.e. is it a quality of Akal Purakh or a name referring to Akal Purakh so that the convention of reading the child's name makes sense ... Singh /Kaur of /belonging to /having the attribute of .... e.g. Dayal Singh can be read as Singh of Dayal (the compassionate one) or Singh who is Dayal (compassionate)

However if you are doing for 'competition' of creating something new and different have a deep think on it, why would you saddle a trainee Gursikh with a name that has no real connection to his/her roots? I have known parents who have done this and found that their kids have grown away from their faith and culture as they have been influenced by others that they are something other than sikh ...

Warriors that you have mentioned apart from Sahibzada Jujhar Singh ji do not stand up to the ideals of a sikh warrior, in fact they were bloodthirsty in creating a name for themselves not being righteous ...is that what you would like your kids to be like ?

what is your aim ? is it to give a name which will inspire the kid to become a great gursikh and jodha or is it to be 'individual' 'unique' blah blah compared to other sikh kids ?

if it is the former then you need to focus on the meaning of that name i.e. is it a quality of Akal Purakh or a name referring to Akal Purakh so that the convention of reading the child's name makes sense ... Singh /Kaur of /belonging to /having the attribute of .... e.g. Dayal Singh can be read as Singh of Dayal (the compassionate one) or Singh who is Dayal (compassionate)

However if you are doing for 'competition' of creating something new and different have a deep think on it, why would you saddle a trainee Gursikh with a name that has no real connection to his/her roots? I have known parents who have done this and found that their kids have grown away from their faith and culture as they have been influenced by others that they are something other than sikh ...

Warriors that you have mentioned apart from Sahibzada Jujhar Singh ji do not stand up to the ideals of a sikh warrior, in fact they were bloodthirsty in creating a name for themselves not being righteous ...is that what you would like your kids to be like ?

I c where your coming from, but all im saying is, that rather than all these boring deep,preet, jeet, pal, inder etc ending names how bowt being bit more creative ang go for something different, but at the same time with some meaning and purpose. Also it has nothing to do with competition. Also whats wrong in being a bit different with names and wanting to stand out, but in a good way? Thats the whole point of having an identity in the 1st place. Cheers

I c where your coming from, but all im saying is, that rather than all these boring deep,preet, jeet, pal, inder etc ending names how bowt being bit more creative ang go for something different, but at the same time with some meaning and purpose. Also it has nothing to do with competition. Also whats wrong wrong in being a bit different with names and wanting to stand out, but in a good way? Thats the whole point of having an identity in the 1st place. Cheers

My daughter is called Isher Kaur which is unusual because most people associate with Singh , remember Sikh names are not gender-specific

my nieces are Rameiya Kaur and Akaljyot Kaur different but dharmic

could go to Jaap Sahib and get inspiration e.g.

Razak Singh, Rahim SIngh

or our Guru ji NIhal Kaur, Nirvair Singh etc etc good luck with your search

• 1 year later...
Guest Govinder

Would anybody have the meaning/ translation for a Sikh baby boy being named 'Josh'

I would appreciate it if somebody knew a nice translation for the name.

Thanks.

Would anybody have the meaning/ translation for a Sikh baby boy being named 'Josh'

I would appreciate it if somebody knew a nice translation for the name.

Thanks.

I think Josh means Bir Rass, Passion/enthusiasm, Fervour,

Also u might want to spell the name differently cuz it seems like u wrote Josh as in short for Joshua..