Scotland Referendum

Mehtab Singh

For people like me living in the UK its a good thing that's happened.

Unity is very powerful. Just look at the Jewish community to see what can be achieved with it. Alternatively, at this point in time, look at us (Nanak Naam Leva Sikhs) we haven't got unity and we're being attacked and torn internally and externally on all fronts!

we have lost the bibek budhi that Guru ji blessed us with , that's why we trust people who we would normally know not to , listen to advice from people who know zilch about being a sikh and fail to recognise our true sikh family members. Not every sikh will look the same every dastaar is tied by a different soul , but the longing for nam and His kirpa is the same in every heart. I would not use the Jewish community as a exemplar , they are diminishing in numbers, they also have internal rifts but are very good at hiding it . Be glad who you are Waheguru doesn't make mistakes

The Yes vote lost mainly because the establishment such as the UK government, big business, anti-independence parties all colluded to create an element of fear about what kind of country people would wake up to if the vote had been Yes. The anti-independence parties made big promises about giving Scotland more powers and the three leaders signed a pledge a few days before the referendum, Big Business like the banks threatened to move their headquarters to England in the event of a Yes vote, The supermarkets also said that prices would have to increase if there was a Yes vote. Oil which is a boon to any country was almost treated as a negative as comments were made by so-called experts that the price would go down and Scotland would get less and less income from the oil fields in the future. Old people were scared into believing that their pensions were under threat and they might not get paid if the country went independent. Some newspapers even had articles that house prices would crash 20% and there would be turmoil in the share market.

It was the politics of fear vs the politics of hope. Unfortunately the politics of fear won. Those politicians that said they would give Scotland more powers are now already urging a go slow process and claiming that all the other regions also need to have their rights considered!

Massacres and genocide only happen if people in power organize them . I hope India learns what a democratic process is from this vote, all done in a nonviolent way. The Kashmir region has a UN mandate for a vote on Independence that India refuses to honour. The Kashmiris reminded India of this and told them to look at the Scottish process.

Massacres and genocide only happen if people in power organize them . I hope India learns what a democratic process is from this vote, all done in a nonviolent way. The Kashmir region has a UN mandate for a vote on Independence that India refuses to honour. The Kashmiris reminded India of this and told them to look at the Scottish process.

There are questions about the handling of the referendum count by the Russians and others as the goings on were not up to standards set by observing bodies ... I wouldn't put it past the Government to mess about ...as the tories have done questionable things in the past , manipulating postal votes, jerrymandering - it would serve their needs and the vote was so close .

India doesn't want to learn ...they want to destroy and assimilate everyone thinking or behaving different to their ideology. I mean they are bullying and beating people who even suggest to help those in strife in Jammu and Kashmir ...there is no humanity there