Bhatra Community

JRoudh

Because it is arguably THE most expensive agricultural land in the world (i.e 1 acre in Punjab can buy you between 15 and 20 acres in the UK, between 50 and 100 acres in Canada etc) the majority of agricultural landowners in Punjab are 'millionaiires on paper'. As humans, we all sometimes have reasons for an injection of capital, be it a business venture or, as you mentioned, offspring wishing for money to buy a house etc, and so selling land in Punjab is an option that is always there. Given the diaspora, it is always a sellers market regardless of the economy, where, once someone finds out you may be interested in selling, buying arrive with suitcases full of money ready to outbid each other. The Canadian and Italian diaspora especially big in this regard.

I do. We all do. My children and we go back twice a year. In fact, now that we're in November, this is the peak time when villages in Punjab are jam packed with little cokneys, brummies, californians, vancouverites and Italians. Sikh children all over the globe just love it on the farms there. They detest the dirt, filth, smell etc of the towns and cities but absolutely adore the clean life on the farms.

If you're referring to actual farming, like you are, do you also write letters to the UK's biggest landlords and ask them why they and their kids are not farming their lands themselves ?

There is, my friend, a big difference between landowners and farm-workers. All over earth, and Punjab is no different, the land owners are 'overseers' of farming. They oversee the work and my children are quickly learning all there is to learn in this regard thank you very much.

Well thats very true and I'm glad you've mentioned it. You see, of the world-wide Sikh diaspora, we in the UK are the only ones where farming has not played a significant part in the national Sikhs. In the USA for example, Sikhs are the nations single largest producers of fruit and nuts. In Canada, they own and farm wheat farms so big you need a light plane to reach the other end. Dairy farming in Italy. Tea plantations in Malaysia etc.

WJKK WJKF

I think you have misunderstood my post, I was basically asking you, if you love panjab so much and your jatt heritage, why don't you and your family migrate back to your rural village literally? Why live in a foreign land?

The other thing you have confused me about is you promote within your posts the hard work ethic jatts have and how both male and female worked the field and that some Sikhs do not hold this work ethic, directing it indirectly towards the bhatra community within this topic. Now, you have stated in essence that the land owner does not work his land, the employees do, you also stated that even though you are well educated and could get a high paying job, you feel the need to do a job which requires manual labour? So which is it? You are teaching your children to oversee work done by whom on the fields? Will your children eventually farm fields or oversee farming of fields as you say, within the uk at some point?

I think you have misunderstood my post, I was basically asking you, if you love panjab so much and your jatt heritage, why don't you and your family migrate back to your rural village literally? Why live in a foreign land?

Just like the goray says, if you like your kirpan and turban so much, why not move back to India and we all get so mad at them.