Fasting in Sikhi

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

this happened when i was talking to a few friends of mine. they are all hindu punjabis from delhi. somehow the topic went to 'karva chauth'. since i am married, i told them that i don't follow it as it is not in the sikh way of conduct. i seriously believed that i was right (PLZ CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG). as sikhs we are not supposed to follow any kind of fasting or rituals. but they were like 'we know alot of sikhs who keep karva chauth' etc etc. and went upto saying that Guru Granth Sahibji never says not to fast. which again i think is wrong. one of the guys was an arora punjabi and some of his family are sikhs. he started challenging me that thats what his family has told him abt Guru Granth Sahibji. his cous who is a sikh keeps the fast. i am not an amritdhari yet but will be soon by Waheguruji's kirpa.

please help me.

Tell me if i am wrong.

but if i am right, help me prove that. give me links, qoutes etc to prove that i am right.

plz don't misunderstand me Sangatji. its not a matter of haumai or ego but a misrepresentationm of Guruji and Hukam. people are twisting and turning sikhi to meet their needs. this is not right.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:T: well i asked Guru ji if we were allowed to fast and they said

"Putter apart from loosing a few pounds (weight) fasting isnt gonna do anything for u" :wub:

brq nym sMjm mih rhqw iqn kw AwFu n pwieAw ]

barath naem sa(n)jam mehi rehathaa thin kaa aadt n paaeiaa ||

Fasting, daily rituals, and austere self-discipline - those who keep the practice of these, are rewarded with less than a shell.

AwgY clxu Aauru hY BweI aUNhw kwim n AwieAw ]1]

aagai chalan aour hai bhaaee oo(n)ehaa kaam n aaeiaa ||1||

Hereafter, the way is different, O Siblings of Destiny. There, these things are of no use at all. ||1||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=684

ikAw jpu ikAw qpu ikAw bRq pUjw ]

kiaa jap kiaa thap kiaa brath poojaa ||

What use is chanting, and what use is penance, fasting or devotional worship,

jw kY irdY Bwau hY dUjw ]1]

jaa kai ridhai bhaao hai dhoojaa ||1||

to one whose heart is filled with the love of duality? ||1||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=1290

pUjw vrq iqlk iesnwnw puMn dwn bhu dYn ]

poojaa varath thilak eisanaanaa pu(n)n dhaan bahu dhain ||

Worship, fasting, ceremonial marks on one's forehead, cleansing baths, generous donations to charities and self-mortification

khUM n BIjY sMjm suAwmI bolih mITy bYn ]1]

kehoo(n) n bheejai sa(n)jam suaamee bolehi meet(h)ae bain ||1||

- the Lord Master is not pleased with any of these rituals, no matter how sweetly one may speak. ||1||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=2568

qIrQ brq nym suic sMjm sdw rhY inhkwmw ]

theerathh barath naem such sa(n)jam sadhaa rehai nihakaamaa ||

Amidst pilgrimages, fasting, rituals, purification and self-discipline, he remains always without thought of reward.

jwp qwp nym suic sMjm nwhI ien ibDy Cutkwr ]

jaap thaap naem such sa(n)jam naahee ein bidhhae shhuttakaar ||

Chanting and deep meditation, penance and austere self-discipline, fasting and purification - salvation does not come by any of these means.

I observe neither Hindu fasting nor the ritual of the Muslim Ramadan month; Him I serve who at the last shall save.

The Lord of universe of the Hindus, Gosain and Allah to me are one; From Hindus and Muslims have I broken free. I perform neither Kaaba pilgrimage nor at bathing spots worship; One sole Lord I serve, and no other. I perform neither the Hindu worship nor the Muslim prayer; To the Sole Formless Lord in my heart I bow. We neither are Hindus nor Muslims; Our body and life belong to the One Supreme Being who alone is both Ram and Allah for us." (Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Granth Sahib, Raga Bhairon pg. 1136)

I agree, I critasise people who fast, they dont eat all day and then they have a slap up meal. wats the point. a poor homeless person cant go home in th evening and have a meal .

• 7 months later...

Sikhi teaches that the way to God is to conquer the mind which is polluted by the 5 passions. By fasting and tormenting one's body God is not attained.

Also Karva Chauth, isn't that done by women for the well-being of their husbands? For sikhs, Akaal Purakh, God, is our husband Lord. Sikhs pray for Naam and waaheguru.