Bend It Like Beckham

eduardo

I don't blame all this entirely on the media lol. The previous generation merged the conservative punjabi culture with our peace-loving, tolerate religion, nowadays when people think sikhk, punjabi is also a word that crops in there.

From what I remember it wasn't about oppression it was about a girl who had a cup final match on the same day as her sisters wedding. I don't recall any 'oppression' the film wasn't the usual domestic violence boozy husband or arranged marriage.

Nah, her parents forbid her from playing because they considered it a waste of time and stuff. Then her sister's wedding got cancelled because they thought the main character was making out with a guy on the street (she was really just laughing with a friend). It does expose how controlling Punjabi culture is, but they did drag Sikhi into it a bit as well.

Nah, her parents forbid her from playing because they considered it a waste of time and stuff. Then her sister's wedding got cancelled because they thought the main character was making out with a guy on the street (she was really just laughing with a friend). It does expose how controlling Punjabi culture is, but they did drag Sikhi into it a bit as well.

I can remember two sikh related scenes, 1 her father talks bout how goras made fun of his turban in the 70s in a cricket club, this sort of thing went on them days. 2 they show a photo of Guru Nanak Dev jee. People have pictures up you in their house have you not sceen them?

I can remember two sikh related scenes, 1 her father talks bout how goras made fun of his turban in the 70s in a cricket club, this sort of thing went on them days. 2 they show a photo of Guru Nanak Dev jee. People have pictures up you in their house have you not sceen them?

Nah there was another scene where her mother said something like what would baba-ji think, something along those lines.

I like the sound of that but I think at the end of the day it's just a good fun show bit like Mama Mia.

You gay? stereotypically musicals are favoured by them. Not that's an issue :)

Nicely put Ranjeet but this is pure market forces not some conspiracy, this is purely what is popular and what sells....

Who needs a conspiracy? When hate is engrained it comes naturally with a kind smile, curiosity, and assumptions. Shame on 'white' male media for continuing to 'rescue' minority women ad nauseum in their fantasies.

What sells is limited to what is selling.

Ranjeet and Eduardo you are exceptions who attempt to understand beyond the surface. In general there remains massive ignorance amongst both mainstream and punjabis.

Who needs a conspiracy? When hate is engrained it comes naturally with a kind smile, curiosity, and assumptions. Shame on 'white' male media for continuing to 'rescue' minority women ad nauseum in their fantasies.

What sells is limited to what is selling.

Ranjeet and Eduardo you are exceptions who attempt to understand beyond the surface. In general there remains massive ignorance amongst both mainstream and punjabis.

My observations are that the liberal area of the media such as Channel 4 specifically seem to be involved in making subcontinental themed programmes since the 1980s where there always seems to be some sexual content where it needs to be "edgy" such as Rita Wolfe being the first Asian woman in nude scene on British TV (back in the 1980s) or where the main Asian protagonist in My Beautiful Launderette in homosexuals scenes with Daniel Day Lewis or in the production of Kama Sutra. Channel 4 seems to be behind a lot of these productions for some reason.

There are a lot of gullible Asian people in the UK(subcontinental women in particularly) that love to complain about how Bollywood exploits women and how the women's bhezti and izzat is done yet don't see how they are objectified sexually on British TV. I guess they would see it as being "liberating" and "empowered".

We still have the inferiority complex.