1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think there has been a quiet realisation by many about the negative impact of the drinking, bhangra dancing balle balle culture. A lot of us grew up in that environment. The other thing was that in the 80s asians in general were looking for an identity/culture to cling onto in the face of so much racism, and Sikhs delivered Panjabi culture to the masses, who lapped it up, and we were proud of it - we now know this was exploited. Plus look how much money used to get made with selling cassettes and holding gigs! So a lot of factors were at play back in the day.

I'm also thinking that the new third generation will have access (directly and indirectly) to more streetwise olders (some of the second generation). You might of been lucky with progressive understanding parents, but a lot of us of the 2nd gen (maybe most?) weren't. I think that is one of the root causes of a lot of our issues. I know the younger ones to me can talk about things that I could never ever have broached with my parents or older family. The topic of relationships is top of the list for discussion in my eyes. because I see less and less arranged marriages taking place, and the younger ones will be looking at olders to set parameters. You know how it was back in the day. Everything was done surreptitiously - I think addressing that will help reduce the chances of girls getting embroiled and manipulated by some devious pervert(s). I've said it before, I feel that today's conservatism in our community is more a legacy of colonialism upon us, than our own indigenous culture/moorings. CP is the most overt example of how our people previously had no qualms about facing upto to issues that we consider taboo today.

The general proliferation of education in our community today coupled with unprecedented access to Sikh literature via the net (scribd, sikhbookclub etc. etc.) also means that we can have intelligent and informed talks about our roots/heritage in a way that I don't think happened much previously. Some younger people are interested in history and historical sources in a way that our parents weren't. Desis simply did what elders told them. One relative from back home who is in their late 30s here, recently said to me:

"We learnt the prayers etc. by rote because we were told to but what I'm seeing now is younger people (in Britain) are actually analysing them in a way we never did."

Personally I have a feeling that the last few years have actually been the early stages of a renaissance myself. And this is not limited to narrow fields but broad. 

We will never be perfect but we can make incremental improvements.

6 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Personally I have a feeling that the last few years have actually been the early stages of a renaissance myself. And this is not limited to narrow fields but broad. 

Or as scummy hundal and other atheist extremist coconut "sikhs" wud say.....there has been a rise in sikh extremism!

Funnily enough, i was thinkin of this at work 2day, how in last 10yrs we have seen such a surge in sikhi in uk, that the only way is up for us now, despite the negativity that surrounds us a times. 

10-15yrs ago it was lookin very grim! Now a decade on, we have seen numerous sikh art exhibitions, rise in amritdharis, rise in sikh organisations (Basic of Sikhi, sikh2inspire, sikh youth uk/bham, sopw, khalsa aid, sikh midlands langar, s.w a.t etc). Number of dharmic songs/kharkoo related songs doublin/triplin,  dastar waleh women, more sikh related events (dastar day/langar week etc), sh!tloads of sikh/puratan books bein printed n sold out, n sikh press association to tackle anti sikh elements in media! Sikhs comin forward n gettin arrested by the pigs, for protecting their guru against various beadbis goin on. A lot of progress has been made!

I sed on this subject before, we r gettin wat happened in post-bluestar, post-9/11 (for muslims)...a community re-evaluating itself and empowering themselves.....scummy hundal types can go suck eggs!

1 hour ago, StarStriker said:

Or as scummy hundal and other atheist extremist coconut "sikhs" wud say.....there has been a rise in sikh extremism!

Funnily enough, i was thinkin of this at work 2day, how in last 10yrs we have seen such a surge in sikhi in uk, that the only way is up for us now, despite the negativity that surrounds us a times. 

10-15yrs ago it was lookin very grim! Now a decade on, we have seen numerous sikh art exhibitions, rise in amritdharis, rise in sikh organisations (Basic of Sikhi, sikh2inspire, sikh youth uk/bham, sopw, khalsa aid, sikh midlands langar, s.w a.t etc). Number of dharmic songs/kharkoo related songs doublin/triplin,  dastar waleh women, more sikh related events (dastar day/langar week etc), sh!tloads of sikh/puratan books bein printed n sold out, n sikh press association to tackle anti sikh elements in media! Sikhs comin forward n gettin arrested by the pigs, for protecting their guru against various beadbis goin on. A lot of progress has been made!

I sed on this subject before, we r gettin wat happened in post-bluestar, post-9/11 (for muslims)...a community re-evaluating itself and empowering themselves.....scummy hundal types can go suck eggs!

As Sant ji said they will label us aplenty, beat us, rape us, even kill us  for being sons and daughters of Guru Gobind SIngh ji and fighting for justice, it's a tiny price to pay ...we need to follow up those who have been in the vanguard of the good fight like Manmohan Singh ji and other elders to prevent a slipback into apathy. We need to counter the millenial malaise  and the balle balle culture , arming our kids and grandkids even Guru Kirpa kitte greatgrandchildren with true sikhi knowledge 

On 28/11/2016 at 9:42 AM, jkvlondon said:

according to the UK sikh survey 1 in 7 surveyed had been or knew of a person personally who had been groomed  so it is not a little thing. People who go through this are damaged very very badly and usually don't get married and settle down ...

1 in 7 had been or knew of a person who had been targeted by groomers. There's quite a difference between being targeted and actually groomed. Don't twist the words. Also, it's just a blumin survey. Don't quote it like you have facts.

No, it is not a little thing, and as I said, it is also not the norm... it is hugely inflated.

3 minutes ago, S4NGH said:

1 in 7 had been or knew of a person who had been targeted by groomers. There's quite a difference between being targeted and actually groomed. Don't twist the words. Also, it's just a blumin survey. Don't quote it like you have facts.

No, it is not a little thing, and as I said, it is also not the norm... it is hugely inflated.

apart from repeating my words I think that one woman or girl is too many ...

Canadian Sikhs use to look down on UK Sikhs, and generally crow about not having the "Muslim problem" when it came to their girls over there. Now that their country is experiencing the delights of unfettered immigration from certain Islamic countries, these formerly smug figures are cutting worried figures now that the problem is at their door. Kiwi and Aussie Sikhs are currently in the same boat Canadian and NA Sikhs were a few decades ago, but give it a couple of generations of Islamic enrichment in their communities, and they too will be banging their heads against the wall asking where it all went wrong, lol.

A Real Sikh knows that being Sikh is not a religion. It's being a Student of Truth.

The Tenth True King Satguru Gobind SinghJi Maharaj taught clearly in Sri Dasam Granth Ji when God spoke through him, that God sent down previous teachers to teach the truth and many did but began to become corrupted. Many true teachings have also become corrupted overtime.

Then He sent down the Gurus to teach the Pure Truth.

No Hindu No Muslim. There is no religion, only Truth. 

A Sikh cannot be converted as theres Nothing to be converted from.There's only the One All Pervading Truth throughout the ages.

23 hours ago, S4NGH said:

I disagree. I think it is highly unreported for obvious reasons. 

23 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Canadian Sikhs use to look down on UK Sikhs, and generally crow about not having the "Muslim problem" when it came to their girls over there. Now that their country is experiencing the delights of unfettered immigration from certain Islamic countries, these formerly smug figures are cutting worried figures now that the problem is at their door. Kiwi and Aussie Sikhs are currently in the same boat Canadian and NA Sikhs were a few decades ago, but give it a couple of generations of Islamic enrichment in their communities, and they too will be banging their heads against the wall asking where it all went wrong, lol.

Our lot in the diasporas are generally too scared to rock the boat. It's only some UK guys that did this, and they did make big sacrifices including prison time. The nature of predators is that they hone into the vulnerable, gullible and unprotected. When a community does nothing about grooming it sends the groomers a signal to specifically target that community because of the ease. 

We now know that the British state itself (through the police, media and social services) consistently and purposefully tied Sikh hands on this matter by denying it and vilifying those who confronted it.

Canadian Sikhs are in especial danger because they are having such a good time out there that (given our communities nature) they wouldn't want to appear politically incorrect or rock the boat to deal with it. American Sikhs are probably so underfire for being brown and looking like Muslims, that they are struggling to deal with all that, let alone confront this ugly issue on top.