Intercaste marriages

Big_Tera

2 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I think the sikh khatris marry within family because they r originally from kabul/ Afghanistan area and in muslim lands its ok to marry your cousins and also because as traders they had to settle in foreign lands, and so to marry within their religion meant marrying in their family.

but then that would make them go against sikh norms of behaviour

6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

but then that would make them go against sikh norms of behaviour

Yesterday my cousin whos studying at a samparda claimed that its not against sikhi to marry more than once. When i quoted eka naari jati hoe, he said eka is plural, when i explained thats ridiculous n eka is feminine, finally he said the gurus wouldnt marry more than once if they had told us not to.....so keeping in mind there r ppl like that.......where does it forbid marrying ur cousin in sikhi? Yes i know its against sikh norms but only because we have taken aspects of panjabi culture as the norm. I bet among sindhi sikhs, this is a normal sikh practice 

3 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Yesterday my cousin whos studying at a samparda claimed that its not against sikhi to marry more than once. When i quoted eka naari jati hoe, he said eka is plural, when i explained thats ridiculous n eka is feminine, finally he said the gurus wouldnt marry more than once if they had told us not to.....so keeping in mind there r ppl like that.......where does it forbid marrying ur cousin in sikhi? Yes i know its against sikh norms but only because we have taken aspects of panjabi culture as the norm. I bet among sindhi sikhs, this is a normal sikh practice 

If we take the hukham to stay niarey and let go of bipraan ki reet , amongst these reets is first cousin and caste based marriages (hindus and muslims do this ) . Your cousin is right we can get married more than once but only have one partner at a time (widow, widower) , what he is forgetting what Guru ji did by marrying more than once is follow agiya of parents and sangat , most of the Guru Sahiban had one mahal. What most people forget is Anand Karaj is marriage of the two souls to paramatma so doing anand Karaj between Guru Gobind Singh and Mata Sahib Devan gave her a chadar  whilst staying in darbar doing sewa of panth , that was her parents only request and Guru ji never refused a true Devotees plea . 

On 20/11/2016 at 10:23 PM, dallysingh101 said:

One word: Parents.

I'm my experience, from observing such things over the past decade or so, parents are becoming increasingly powerless to prevent such unions. It kills them inside when the wedding is going on (the sense of "shame" they feel is written all over their faces), lol, but it's a choice between kicking off and alienating the son or daughter in question, or just let them get on with it and accept it.

I'm my experience, from observing such things over the past decade or so, parents are becoming increasingly powerless to prevent such unions. It kills them inside when the wedding is going on (the sense of "shame" they feel is written all over their faces), lol, but it's a choice between kicking off and alienating the son or daughter in question, or just let them get on with it and accept it.

I think it is mainly freshy parents who do what you talk about. These days you have loads of third generation kids (who are the ones doing all the intercaste marriages), and they have at least one parent not brought up in deepest, darkest Panjab, with the associated backwards mentality. Plus they have diaspora raised uncles and aunts too, who would support them, unlike the second generation who were at the whims of pendu parents and extended families. lol

That's not to say some third generation kids aren't being brought up with the casteist bull5hit though. 

Hell, I've heard intercaste marriages are increasing in Panjab too. My cousins from backhome (now in Canada) married girls from different castes. With one of them, their first marriage (arranged with same caste girl), was a proper train wreck. Then he divorced and remarried (both are from India) and have been going strong for well over a decade now.