Singh fights back against armed robbers

Simran9

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3930127/detail.html

3930152_200X150.jpg

Surveillance Camera Captures Armed Robbery

Store Owner Fights Back Against Robber

POSTED: 10:12 am PST November 18, 2004

UPDATED: 10:22 am PST November 18, 2004

EMPIRE, Calif. -- Investigators in Stanislaus County are looking for a group of armed robbers, and they hope images from a surveillance camera will help in that search.

Three robbers hit a convenience store in Empire recently. The cameras captured graphic images of the robbery as it was happening.

The robbers can be seen attacking the store's owner, even holding a gun to his head. But the owner fought back and was shot in the hand. Authorities said even then, the owner would not give up.

"He finally makes it out, but the 69-year-old victim is still holding onto his leg ... he doesn't want to let him go," Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department spokesman Ed Campbell said.

Investigators said the cameras captured a tattoo on the back of one of the robbers, and they hope that will help them identify the man and lead to an arrest.

Copyright 2004 by TheKCRAChannel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i know this article doesn't say the name but I saw this on the news last night and the

y said his name was Maan? Singh. 69 year old running the minimart or something at the Arco gas station. The robbers came in and he struggled with them. He's a retired military man........he grabbed the barrel of the gun and they fired a shot into his hand. He's a turbaned sardar and in the struggle his turban came off.

anyway....wow, takes guts to fight back like that! :wub: ^_^

I don't know man....

If I'd risk my life...for a thousand..or at the most three thousand dollars..

It takes gut to fight..but you have to fight rationally..

Suppose..a scenario..:

-What if that night didn't come out as him or his family expected..and he was laid to rest to the next day..

I'm sure another prespective would have then been implanted..

Money is sure hard to earn, hard to get...and "hadd paseeney" di Kamayi..but money is not the b. end of all things.

Fight when...your life is on the line..not for money :wub:

Plus, he seems pretty well off...hence he does own a small business after all..

i don't know how i feel about this...

on one hand it's good to fight for your principles and whatnot....

on the other hand....i've read so many sakhis of our gurus and sant mahapurshes who have handled issues such as robberies in a more passive way...and in doing so have been successful at changing even the robbers' life...

i guess it's one of those tings where you just gotta be there...

The fact that the owner of this mini-mart store is a turbanned sikh may have been used to the advantage by the robbers.

how dare some petty theif try to come and steal from a store where a Sikh works

First of all, in no way I support robbery but if someone is willing to go the extent where it involves robbery that person then is desperately in need of money. Whether, it is put to a necessary or a 'fajool' cause is something we may never know. Nonetheless, you specifically mention that its petty for a thief to come and steal from a store where a "Sikh" works. Just because that individual is a Sikh does not make him elite and therefore does not allow him to automatically avoid robbery. The circumstances would have been same had the 'Sikh' worker not been working. Except the fact, anyone who is kind of up to date with their labor regulations/ workers comp. knows better not to 'fight back' when a robber, with or without a gun, is threatning you.

The store owner may have gotten false pride out of this situation, but the way he acted was very foolish.

I'm not sure why we are comparing ourselves to what our "gurus did"...is anyone of us .."our guru."

i shoulda mentioned that there was at least 1 customer in teh store at the time at the counter. when the robbers came in, the customer was forced to get down juz to get outa the way and save himself. There was another guy behind the counter, the 69 year old's son. he didn't get any injury though although he was also trying to fight off the robbers with his dad.

we've no idea why the sardar ji fought the robbers. no clue if he did it for the money or juz because its his natural instinct. Remember he's retired from the military so his training is to fight the enemy even if you lose your life in the process :e: And sikhi is about defending the defenseless/fighting injustice. With a customer in the store in danger, perhaps he did whatever he could to protect the customer. Maybe thats why he grabbed the barrel of gun so the robber couldn't fire at no one else but the trigger got pulled in the struggle and bullet was shot into his hand.

sardar ji was hospitalized for his hand, news report said that they did reconstructive plastic surgery or whats it called? and he's up for 6 weeks of rehabilitation. He's home now :wub:

This singh is brave.. :wub:

I remember my uncle who once took the baseball bat and ran after the robbers who came to loot at their gas station.. they got preety good beating lol.. sadly, next day they came again and shot 7 bullets but luckily he is still on his feets !! A typical day in Vallejo tongue.gif