Why is there sexism towards women

Guest Nonscensical

Guest Nonscensical

I don't get what it is with discrimination against women. Why does it happen? I don't understand? As a guy I always see women higher than males because there's so much sexism towards them so I try and do the opposite to what others think. But what is the cause of why women are looked down upon? I really cant get my head around it. One day I cant wait  to get married and just shower my wife with so much love and Pyaar because that's how I look at women. I can't wait but I just don't get how people can look down on women like what is it ? 

I think women are put down for a lot of reasons.

In India, its really terrible. Women are hated and considered inferior for some legit but outdated reasons. Women are expensive.

In the inuits, eskimo ppl. If there were too many girls being born,.they would be left out for the wolves to eat. Because as women did not hunt. They were just a consumer and if there was more consumers than hunters, tribe could starve. 

Same in india,.women did not do farm work or any work to bring in money. But due to dowry, they will have to spend alot on the girl. Plus u waste a lot of resources, feeding and nurturing a girl and then she goes and takes care of another family when she grows up. Also females cant inherit nor carry on the family name. 

This is ofc wrong thinking although logical. First of all, if ur girl goes to another family, another girl comes from another family to urs. And during hard times, such as famine,.nature favors girls. More animals give birth to females. As females can for sure have children. And so r not a risk for nature. While if males r born, there needs to be enough females to reproduce. 

In the west, women are hated. When they try to compete with males. 

Because women have the option to become housewives, mothers. Men dont. So when women start outperforming men or taking over their jobs, men have no alternative option.

There r some jobs that mostly men do like construction, fireman, garbage collector. But society looks down on these jobs and so do women. Who dont marry men beneath their station. While men frequently marry poorer, less educated women. 

Also women try to copy men and try to have same freedoms. Like women have started to drink and smoke just cuz men did it. But these things cause horrible birth defects and most women dont know they are preganant until way later. 

But older cultures knew that men and women are different, and thats why women have more restrictions. Like they are looked down upon if they sleep around alot, drink alot etc while men dont get judged on this. 

And women want to copy the men even tho these r not good things. Some girls say they will not learn to cook, cuz that is sexist. This is the dumbest thing ive heard. As cooking is a valuable skill and u can get a job with it as a chef and feed urself and ur family. Men r dumber for not knowing how to cook, not freer. 

So women in the west, are trying to have all the good things from both genders without the responsibility of any gender. Like some females say, we have the right to dress however we want. And if we want to dress provocatively, nobody better be provoked. 

Boys are performing poorly in schools and have increased suicides, but feminists do not address it and dont even want to discuss it. 

Also women keep talking about being oppressed. But really divorce laws favor women and they r doing well. 

But yes, one type of sexism that is horrible is domestic violence. There can be no logical arguement for that. 

Guest Kaur

I've lived in over 4 countries for various periods of my life.  Sexism is cultural, has nothing to do with Sikhi. Most models (cultural, societal etc) are outward. They should have very little to do with informing your spirituality or Sikhi.

The worst sexism I've faced is in India and UK. 

In India, it is the usual, you're a female so you should only be seen not heard. The land that belonged to your mother won't go to you, it'll go to your  mother's brother. This is the crux of sexism inside families, it's about power and control. No one wants you to NOT sleep around because it's not good spiritually. It's because as your custodian, the burden of "honor" must be borne by you to make it easier for the men of the family and for the family's status.

Ofcourse in India, there are other horrible things. I can't go outside when it's dark because the world becomes 100 times more scarier. I can't go to run errands alone because I'm seen as "helpless"  and a target for gossip  so on and so forth. Punjabis are becoming more backwards. HOWEVER, that being said, I am not afraid of being raped in punjab by a "punjabi". Their attitudes towards sex are a bit more lax and therefore less frustrated.

In UK, the sexism was prepatrated by asians who were basically "pendu". Unfortunately despite immigrating, they've become more "pendu", not more "Sikh like".  In UK it was harder to explain the repercussions of sexism because nobody expects backward people cultivating and propagating absurd cultural norms that are sexist, example "you can't study or work". 

Women in UK like their Indian counterparts dealt with it by living a 2nd life, one that is hidden from their families and even close friends. They tend to be stuck up because they don't get love at home and the only way they can ensure their survival is by being arrogant, putting others down.

I'm sorry for boys not doing well at schools and for men who suffer because of an unfair court system. But think about how much women have suffered through the ages? Perhaps it is only time before the scales balance and the privileged (males) no longer have to give up the benefits of their male privilege (land, money, more opportunities etc).