mahandulai

Should Sikhs be proud?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
9 minutes ago, mahandulai said:

Guru taught us to be without pride, yet all I hear from Sikhs, are 'be a proud sikh'.

Pride in our history and being confident in your own SIkh identity is a good thing if we try and live up to the (almost impossibly) high standards demonstrated in the past. 

Petty egoic pride is a different thing from this, and should be avoided at all costs.

If people are doing the latter, it is out of ignorance and requires education and reflection to remedy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mahandulai said:

Guru taught us to be without pride, yet all I hear from Sikhs, are 'be a proud sikh'.

be self-assured, self-reliant, ever ready, self-sovreign  and don't look for approval from the world ..that is what is meant and what was taught by Guru Sahiban  , guess that went whoosh for you  . Stop putting your worldly vigian outlook on everything it will be less painful for you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

be self-assured, self-reliant, ever ready, self-sovreign  and don't look for approval from the world ..that is what is meant and what was taught by Guru Sahiban  , guess that went whoosh for you  . Stop putting your worldly vigian outlook on everything it will be less painful for you

I am tell you an atheists point of view ...... this isn't about u or me.

37 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Pride in our history and being confident in your own SIkh identity is a good thing if we try and live up to the (almost impossibly) high standards demonstrated in the past. 

Petty egoic pride is a different thing from this, and should be avoided at all costs.

If people are doing the latter, it is out of ignorance and requires education and reflection to remedy. 

I think they are the same,

"confidence, in ways demonstrated in the past". sorry there are no mugals left for you to fight.

26 minutes ago, mahandulai said:

I think they are the same,

"confidence, in ways demonstrated in the past". sorry there are no mugals left for you to fight.

Well I think you don't know what you are talking about.

There are plenty of demons to fight, both external and internal. 

Guru sahib taught that the metaphoric battle between asuras (evil) and devtay (good) is perpetual as per Waheguru's hukam. 

Edited by dallysingh101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mahandulai said:

Guru also taught us to have faith in the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 10 Human Gurus, and Gurbani in general. However you seem hell bent not to follow that but question everything else. What is your actual issue? I have not seen you post anything positive on this site.

You seem you need evidential proof of everything that makes us as Sikhs Unique and that enables us to stand out as a Nirmal / Anokha Panth.

Be Proud

Be Proud of our Gurus that stood up to the tyrannical rule of the time.

Be Proud of the Shaheeds that didn't waiver from their faith even when faced with death.

Be Proud of the Chaar Shaibzaade who attained Shaheedi at such a young age but again did not waiver.

Be Proud of Our Sadhu Sant Mahatma's that have shown us the way to reach Waheguru through Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Simran.

Be Proud of our Jarnail's like Sant Jarnail Singh Ji who took on the whole Indian Establishment.

Ego / Pride in ones self is completely different to pride in the way out ancestors stood for justice, faith and honour. I would seriously suggest that you read Gurbani, do Vichaar on the word of the Guru:

Bhul Chuk Maaf

A Proud Learning and Mistake Making Sikh of the Guru

Gur Fateh :waheguru:

• Like 3

On 10/22/2018 at 5:07 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Well I think you don't know what you are talking about.

There are plenty of demons to fight, both external and internal. 

Guru sahib taught that the metaphoric battle between asuras (evil) and devtay (good) is perpetual as per Waheguru's hukam. 

so you are to wear bana and turbans to fight an internal battle? Get outa here.

5 hours ago, PranaamShaheedaNu said:

Guru also taught us to have faith in the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 10 Human Gurus, and Gurbani in general. However you seem hell bent not to follow that but question everything else. What is your actual issue? I have not seen you post anything positive on this site.

You seem you need evidential proof of everything that makes us as Sikhs Unique and that enables us to stand out as a Nirmal / Anokha Panth.

Be Proud

Be Proud of our Gurus that stood up to the tyrannical rule of the time.

Be Proud of the Shaheeds that didn't waiver from their faith even when faced with death.

Be Proud of the Chaar Shaibzaade who attained Shaheedi at such a young age but again did not waiver.

Be Proud of Our Sadhu Sant Mahatma's that have shown us the way to reach Waheguru through Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Simran.

Be Proud of our Jarnail's like Sant Jarnail Singh Ji who took on the whole Indian Establishment.

Ego / Pride in ones self is completely different to pride in the way out ancestors stood for justice, faith and honour. I would seriously suggest that you read Gurbani, do Vichaar on the word of the Guru:

Bhul Chuk Maaf

A Proud Learning and Mistake Making Sikh of the Guru

Gur Fateh :waheguru:

less of the sop please.

we are real people and need real answers. for gods sake.

im awaiting a real answer, yet you are half empty in every response provide, and a challenge not been answered. how about that for a change?

On 10/22/2018 at 3:48 PM, mahandulai said:

Well we shouldn't be Hankaari about Sikhi to show off since we didn't make Sikhi and it is a vice to have that ego and that mentality

However that does not mean we can not have Nirmal Hankaar a Pure Pride where we are grateful for things that the Gurus and Shaheeds did for us. We should have some pride that we are Sikh and that we are apart of something greater that will help and rule the world

• Like 3

On 10/23/2018 at 8:27 PM, mahandulai said:

so you are to wear bana and turbans to fight an internal battle? Get outa here.

Have a look at this Precolonial Sikh text for some information:

Go to Episode 14 on page 119 (in the scribd page number box - not the internal book page numbers) and see an explanation of the creation of the Khalsa and some reasons for Guru ji giving bana. 

The answers to your questions are out there, you just seem way too lazy to go through the effort to find them bro. Face up to that. Maybe you think all religions should be like Abrahamic ones where everything is simplified for idiots. Sikhi ain't like that. It demands a lot from you, including intellectual effort. 

https://www.scribd.com/doc/54832175/Vol-1-SRI-GUR-PANTH-PRAKASH-by-Rattan-Singh-Bhangoo-Trans-Kulwant-Singh

Here's a taste - 

735943841_bhanguextract.png.9d035d3528a8bb23d1ae2db743bdc46c.png

Edited by dallysingh101

imo the op isn't wrong but then the replies in this thread are not wrong either..think the problem is with the word pride and how each person defines it according to their own thinking, beliefs etc..

personally it's always sounded like ego and arrogance but that's just my interpretation..would admiration and gratitude be better and more appropriate choices? think it would save confusion too..

16 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Have a look at this Precolonial Sikh text for some information:

Go to Episode 14 on page 119 (in the scribd page number box - not the internal book page numbers) and see an explanation of the creation of the Khalsa and some reasons for Guru ji giving bana. 

The answers to your questions are out there, you just seem way too lazy to go through the effort to find them bro. Face up to that. Maybe you think all religions should be like Abrahamic ones where everything is simplified for idiots. Sikhi ain't like that. It demands a lot from you, including intellectual effort. 

https://www.scribd.com/doc/54832175/Vol-1-SRI-GUR-PANTH-PRAKASH-by-Rattan-Singh-Bhangoo-Trans-Kulwant-Singh

Here's a taste - 

735943841_bhanguextract.png.9d035d3528a8bb23d1ae2db743bdc46c.png

don't turn this on me. I am not reading that.

9 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

imo the op isn't wrong but then the replies in this thread are not wrong either..think the problem is with the word pride and how each person defines it according to their own thinking, beliefs etc..

personally it's always sounded like ego and arrogance but that's just my interpretation..would admiration and gratitude be better and more appropriate choices? think it would save confusion too..

wow. hello. my hero. please everyone, we have a normal human being, listen....

1 hour ago, mahandulai said:

don't turn this on me. I am not reading that.

So let's get this straight. You constantly whine about things not being clear to you, but when someone points you towards an independent Sikh text that might help answer your obviously nagging doubts, you refuse to read them.....

What is it that you're after? Confirmation of your already existing opinions? 

Where do you expect to get answers from? Random people on the internet?

Nah, 'Sikh' itself means learner. Your doubts seem to a symptom of a lack of sincere effort (on your part) to find the truth about Sikhi. No one said this is easy (sharp as double-edged sword and as fine as a hair). And I'm not trying to say I know it all, but at least make sincere efforts to immerse yourself into authentic Sikh heritage and literature to make yourself well informed before you start going on about this and that. That's logical.

BTW, I've seen this before. Young guys who've been exposed to scientific methodology during a few years at uni who then seem to think that this answers everything. They've all grown out of it as they've mentally matured. I bet if we spoke to you a few years from now, you'd be singing a different song to the one you are now. 

What the hell is scaring you so much that you are even too frightened to read a text written a by Sikh from 150/200 odd years ago? Doesn't make sense!

Edited by dallysingh101