Things you never see

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Guest GuestSingh
39 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Germans have always been known for their industrious ness and engineering prowess.

This is something us Sikhs can relate to very well.

The UK Sikh is very different breed from the rest of diaspora in my opinion. 

We are less phased by materialism in comparison to the fresh of the boat Sikhs that currently occupy the majority of our diaspora. 

In the UK, having a BMW, Mercedes is not really a big deal.

If the present generation don't know about the world wars then the previous generations did and some preferences get built over the generations without realising why. It becomes a tradition.

another tradition, another rite, another blind ritual to add to our already-bulging list...

but at least the next generations confused about any of em and wondering why will have a plausible explanation to one of em here on sikhsangat.com...

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
6 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

but at least the next generations confused about any of em and wondering why will have a plausible explanation to one of em here on sikhsangat.com...

^ An English translation of that ^ would be nice.

15 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

another tradition, another rite, another blind ritual to add to our already-bulging list...

Depends of how you define blind ritual.

If building a reputation and becoming a quality brand in which people admire and trust, then what does it mean if a non Sikh sees a Sikh as a reputable people is a blind ritual.

Guest GuestSingh
6 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Depends of how you define blind ritual.

If building a reputation and becoming a quality brand in which people admire and trust, then what does it mean if a non Sikh sees a Sikh as a reputable people is a blind ritual.

thats a fair point...suppose it would also depend on where u r too...

our reputation/history in the west especially the uk goes back further than cars which now are constantly measured in studies for the things youve mentioned - unlike our image or of any other minority community...

whereas back home it counts for little to nothing then theres the demand for consumerism etc where those same western studies can be believed without experiencing the reality for themselves moreso there than here....

On 2/22/2019 at 7:11 PM, Punjabiwolves said:

1) A Sikh that supports Millwall FC

2) A Sikh Male doing gymnastics

3 )A Sikh Family going on holiday to Butlins  

How many Sikhs live in the millwall catchment area - not many. There are quite a few near Charlton though but Charlton are a small club traditionally so not many Sikh fans.

Also, you can apply this to most clubs who are traditionally not top flight teams, unlike wolves. 

On 2/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

Our people have always had a fondness for all things German going back decades. BMWs, Mercs and VWs have always been popular amongst our lot.

I think that the fact that we have fought against Germans  in 2 world wars, we have developed a respect for them.

I think it is just the reputation of German cars, and in reality no Sikhs care for World War 2 and the Germans of that time.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:43 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

In the UK, having a BMW, Mercedes is not really a big deal.

This is not true. 

It is seen as a massive deal to be driving Merv/BMW/Audi/Range Rover in my experience 

Guest Manbir Singh

Things you never see - Any so called “Khalistani” willing to go to Punjab. Always lame excuse, Singh’s were tortured/killed and the Kharku brigade siting in comfort. 

9 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I think it is just the reputation of German cars, and in reality no Sikhs care for World War 2 and the Germans of that time.

This is not true. 

It is seen as a massive deal to be driving Merv/BMW/Audi/Range Rover in my experience 

Driving these cars have become quite common. You see them everywhere .

I think the German respect is more at subconscious level but it seems to have stemmed from the World Wars

I recall a letter by a WW1 Sikh soldier mentioning how strong the German was, clearly if you come over the trenches there would have been hand to hand combat if one was able to dodge the bullets  

I remember in the 80's and 90s when the German football team was supported by UK Sikhs. 

This is just my view 

7 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Driving these cars have become quite common. You see them everywhere .

I think the German respect is more at subconscious level but it seems to have stemmed from the World Wars

I recall a letter by a WW1 Sikh soldier mentioning how strong the German was, clearly if you come over the trenches there would have been hand to hand combat if one was able to dodge the bullets  

I remember in the 80's and 90s when the German football team was supported by UK Sikhs. 

This is just my view 

That's funny because I read about coded letters sent by WW1 Sikh soldiers in Europe back to India saying: "The black pepper is stronger than the red pepper." Which was taken as a code that they thought the brown soldiers were stronger than the white ones? 

On 2/5/2019 at 11:51 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

1)  a homeless Gujarati

2) an Asian driving a Skoda

3) a desi home that has dug up the concrete outside and planted some grass

4) a rich Sikh with a social conscience

5) any Sikh in the west going on and on about 1984 widows and orphans and actually putting his money where his mouth is and marrying one of the poor orphans

6) any desi / sikh photograph about something an organisation is doing that doesn't have 100 people standing behind the main person in the photograph

7) an Indian / Punjabi news segment that is not accompanied by dramatic music

8.  anyone with anything interesting to say on sikhsangat.com

9) pavements covered in dog poo. When i was a kid the pavements were full of it and new shoes were guaranteed to be ruined on the first day due to dog sh$t everywhere and most of it was white !!

10) drunk scotsmen / irishmen - the streets used to be full of them. Where'd they all go ?

11) an unattractive Polish girl

12) an attractive Polish man

13) a midlands middle aged uncle not wearing a suit blazer

14) a women from India with feet that are not deformed

15) an apni school headmaster who is not a lesbian...or at least looks like a lesbian

16) brown / black people mountaineering, river rafting, camping.

17) scottish pound notes -  to be cheap at weddings without being seen to be cheap

The dog sh1te thing still exists. just go to certain areas up north. 

I think they brought in penalties and fines for dirty dog owners that let their dog sh1te all over the place.