Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dsinghdp

Punjab (India)

Recommended Posts

Sikh Sangat from Punjab (India) living abroad should make regular visits to Punjab.

This way they stay in touch with Sikh culture.

Visit the Gurdware and see Sikh heritage. There’s 5 Takhats to see.

Also a chance to speak in Punjabi with everybody.

I have been 7 times myself and love it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its definitely a experience going to punjab.  Iv been to all takht sahibs apart from takht Patna sahib.  I want to go to hemkund sahib. 

I also wanna go rakab ganj sahib delhi and paonta sahib.

Going Harmandir sahib and hazur sahib are experiences that you will never forget and once you have been your soul will keep wanting to take you back.  they truly are sachkhand on earth.

Apart from that the punjabi countryside is beautiful   and the sunset and sunrise are breathtaking. 

Hearing the granthi read japji sahib at amrit vela through the gurdwara speakers while you are still tucked in bed is really nice, one of the best things about your visit actually.  Hearing bani being read out loud in the pind through the speakers sounds amazing  especially early in the mornings when it's still dark. 

Downside is the corruption.  Though some people are bad and take advantage some people are really nice and helpful    when you get lost while travelling and ask one person for help  10 people will come towards you all wanting to give directions lol. 

Our car broke down in the middle of the fields and this grandad with his grandson who were working in their fields came to us and started fixing our car for us   grandad even told his grandson to go back to their house and get the tractor to pull the car all the way to our our pind if needed. 

People from cities tend to be rude and not wanting to help iv noticed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest apart from the Gurdwaras of Punjab. I don't think to much of the place. 

Having been s few times. It seems quite a boring and bland place. 

The only good thing are the greenery. 

Places such as Tamil Nadu, Chennai, Bombay are fare better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Its definitely a experience going to punjab.  Iv been to all takht sahibs apart from takht Patna sahib.  I want to go to hemkund sahib. 

I also wanna go rakab ganj sahib delhi and paonta sahib.

Going Harmandir sahib and hazur sahib are experiences that you will never forget and once you have been your soul will keep wanting to take you back.  they truly are sachkhand on earth.

Apart from that the punjabi countryside is beautiful   and the sunset and sunrise are breathtaking. 

Hearing the granthi read japji sahib at amrit vela through the gurdwara speakers while you are still tucked in bed is really nice, one of the best things about your visit actually.  Hearing bani being read out loud in the pind through the speakers sounds amazing  especially early in the mornings when it's still dark. 

Downside is the corruption.  Though some people are bad and take advantage some people are really nice and helpful    when you get lost while travelling and ask one person for help  10 people will come towards you all wanting to give directions lol. 

Our car broke down in the middle of the fields and this grandad with his grandson who were working in their fields came to us and started fixing our car for us   grandad even told his grandson to go back to their house and get the tractor to pull the car all the way to our our pind if needed

People from cities tend to be rude and not wanting to help iv noticed! 

Maybe he just couldn't stand you guys .So wanted to fix your car as fast as possible to get you out of there. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Punjab is developing fast. Better roads, transport and hotels.

The tourism industry is booming in India as well as Punjab.

The Amritsar airport is greatly developed  compared to 2 decades ago. Many flights are choosing to fly from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dsinghdp said:

Punjab is developing fast. Better roads, transport and hotels.

The tourism industry is booming in India as well as Punjab.

The Amritsar airport is greatly developed  compared to 2 decades ago. Many flights are choosing to fly from there.

Yet people are leaving in their droves..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Yet people are leaving in their droves..

Punjab will in another 10-20 years time become a hindu majority . Sikhs will become a minority (already are if you count only turbaned ones) in the last place they're a majority in . The hard-won achievements of punjabi suba movement of 1966 will all be erased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Punjab will in another 10-20 years time become a hindu majority . Sikhs will become a minority (already are if you count only turbaned ones) in the last place they're a majority in . The hard-won achievements of punjabi suba movement of 1966 will all be erased. 

We need to concentrate on rural areas. The cities are infested with Hindus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

We need to concentrate on rural areas. The cities are infested with Hindus.

Cities have in general been hindu majority 

Even b4 partition 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Punjab will in another 10-20 years time become a hindu majority . Sikhs will become a minority (already are if you count only turbaned ones) in the last place they're a majority in . The hard-won achievements of punjabi suba movement of 1966 will all be erased. 

Yeah, and certain fudhus alienating and abusing Mazbhis in the pends, to the point of them converting to other faiths or trying to start their own ones really helps.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 10:39 PM, Dsinghdp said:

We need to concentrate on rural areas. The cities are infested with Hindus.

The problem is manifold  : 

Being a hindu / muslim male is easy, very easy .

The thing is this and usually not identified as such : Most males when given a choice wouldn't want a turban. Turban is to men what hijab is to women, pride for those to wear it and oppression for others . Atleast to the ones who're "free" up there . You seen when a sikh guy finally gets a haircut and becomes "free" on the top floor , he will rarely ever adopt the turban again. The turbaned ones are increasingly looking for shortcuts and opt-outs like "bandanas" and the newer pull-over-your-head type of things. Its enough evidence if men are given liberty , they wouldn't want a turban . This is bane of sikh religion. It's our bottlenecks of sort unfortunately. I hate to admit it , but it is. Newer generation of Sikh males who have grown up with their hair and dastar intact tend to trim their beards for convenience sake. Also they don't want to look like uncle. So fashion and looks is another villain of sikhi that enters the equation. This fashion factor could have been catered by having proper sikh males to be used as models for marketing male apparels , suitings/shirtings and so on . But here's another problem , political dependence. Sikhs don't have political sovereignty and can't frame laws like : "every male marketing promo needs to have 70% of sardar representation" 

Sikhism provides the respect to the individual , in the sense that a sikh male is given the choice EVERYDAY whether he would wish to continue on path of sikhi, when he's tying his turban. If he wishes, he may part ways with it. This choice is given everyday to a sikh when he's in front of the mirror tying his pagg. On the contrary, hindu/muslim customs are imposed on males in childhood, often forced. A male muslim is forcibly circumcised (one-time , not daily procedure) in his childhood. Similary, a hindu male has his customs done on him in childhood. Later on, males of both religions tend to live a liberal life . It is women in these communities who're regarded as upholder of traditions. In sikhism, it is expected of men. Eventually, sikh males realized that they're being taken for a ride because no one told the baandri women that they shouldn't pluck their eyebrows . Naturally the males wondered why they should alone shoulder the burden of sikhi. 

In such a setting, being hindu male becomes very very easy. Most hindu males don't have any idea of their religion. But that doesn't make them any less of a hindu. Sikhi however survives on its saroop. Hence sikhi is dwindling in punjab while others rise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Ardaas 1 and  rabb da radio 1  are really gd movies  both on youtube     about social issues     qissa, tale of a lonely ghost is one of the strangest movies iv ever seen! surprised that some punjabi made it, its about a man who wants a son but his wife gives birth to a girl but he doesnt wanna accept it so he raises it as a boy! he even marrys her of to a girl!  strange movie     i dont really watch hindi movies but i liked padmavaati and haider.  i think its just show off tbh       
    • Oh, so they didn't even get that right. I find a lot of Indian 'culture' is super camp. Especially the movies these days (judging by the few seconds I have seen of them before I turn my head away in disgust). I tried watching some modern Panjabi film with social issues recently (called Gelo) but straight away they assaulted my senses with some couple prancing about in some musical number, so I had to switch it off. It takes like a year for me (at least!) to get over these types of things before I can summon the strength to try and watch it again.  I hear you!  It often looks like the people with these lavish, ostentatious events are seriously trying to cover up for some deeply rooted inadequacies with all the fancy, overblown events? 
    • its very camp and over the top. everything is gay about it the belly dancers arent all that, skinny and plain lol  even if i had that much money i would still have just a simple anand karaj and thats it. i dont like being center of attention
    • Guest Jack
      Hello. I'm a white guy, born and raised in the USA, baptized and confirmed Catholic, however I never really could accept what Catholicism/Christianity teaches. I always felt like I was reaching for something "out there" to understand know God. I've read about/researched other faiths, such as Wicca, Islam, Hinduism, other secs of Christianity, and for a while I studied Buddhism. But again, these always left me wanting more. They spoke about God, "The Divine", creator, etc, but they always spoke of different ways to identify with God, spoke about all these rituals to get closer to God, but those things feel inadequate to me. Reading the Guru Granth Sahib pulls something deep inside of me. At least, for me, it explains God in terms that I'm able to understand and connect with, and Sikhism, from what I've read, shares the same moral/ethical/world views that I do. My only worry/concern is appropriating the culture of Sikhs. While I very much admire the ten Gurus and the immense struggle they and the people who lived during there time (and of course the struggle that Sikhs, and black/brown people and other people of color, still go through today), I will never be able to identify with that struggle because of my racial position in life, which I accept, but does that mean I'm not able to follow the words of the Gurus? I'm a solitary person, so I don't think I would go to Gurdwara, and I don't think I would ever be baptized/ take the 5 K's. I enjoy being a lay person, appreciating what the Guru Granth Sahib says, and experiencing/knowing God. I just want to have a relationship with God, and I know that means more than just reading from the Guru Granth Sahib, and I'm hoping with time I'll be able to do more with my faith. I guess I'm posting this to get an idea if there's any white people on this forum who are Sikh, or if any black/brown or other people of color on here have had experiences with white people in the Gurdwara and if those experiences were satisfactory or cringe worthy?
    • Sounds like a gays man's wet dream?  I ain't watching it - f**k that. lol The only thing that sounded even remotely interesting in the above list was the belly dancers. 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use