Baba Sri Chand in Punjab

Guest Learner Sikh

Guest Learner Sikh

WJKK WJKF,

Samgat jee, I've been doing some research about Baba Sri Chand and the Udasin Sampardamay, and something I didn't know up until a few months ago was that he is such a revered figure in Punjab!  There are so many gurudwaras/mandirs with his name.  In the pinds there are gurudwara/mandirs with his idols and photos.  Even when I visited Punjab there was a pind gurudwara with a huge photo of Baba Sri Chand, and while traveling to Amritsar, there was a huge poster with a photo of Baba jee.

Im curious about why Baba jee is so revered in Punjab.  Its probably because of his history.  His jayanti is a huge celebration.  

Some videos on what I mean

just wanted to here the sangats thoughts on this, as well as Baba Sri Chand.

Bhul Chak Maaf for any mistakes ?

Guest Learner Sikh
1 hour ago, Singh375 said:

No one who remembers Baba Sri Chand Ji will be left empty handed, because they are so great. 

Sorry I can’t comment on the samparda I don’t know anything about it, but maybe others will?

Its fine, if you do have any questions please feel free to ask.  

WJKK WJKF

Some people insult guru nanak dev jis sons for not following sikhi etc

It's wrong to do that, they were still the sons of guru nanak dev ji. When baba Sri chand came to visit guru ramdas ji, guru ramdas ji gave baba Sri chand a lot of respect, so why should anyone else  ot give them respect? 

Baba sri chand never accepted guru angad dev ji or guru amar das ji but when he saw the humility of guru ramdas ji he said he can see why guru nanak dev ji didnt choose him as the next guru and chose guru angad dev ji instead. 

Guest Learner Sikh
31 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Baba sri chand used to have a Sikh sect called udasis I think that used to follow him, they were a sikh sect but didnt follow maryada, they cut their hair and smeared ashes on themselves. Not sure of they still exist? 

Theres are old photos of them at harmandir sahib. 

Yes.  Baba Sri Chand started the Udasi path from the time of Guru Nanak Sahib.  It still exists, as I showed in the videos above.  They have a lot of deras in punjab.  His jayanti is a huge celebration in Punjab, there are alot of smagams in the cities and in the pinds.

You can separate Udasis into two groups, the ascetic sadhu ones, and the amritdhari ones.  

There will always be a great respect to the sons of Sri Guru NAnak dev jee- baba Sri Chand and lakhshmi chand.

however, khalsa Sikh dharam is different and our rehat and religious teachings are different than what we currently have various udasi sects. 

huge respect will always be there but great differences in religious teachings.

Guest Learner Sikh
2 hours ago, puzzled said:

It's wrong to do that, they were still the sons of guru nanak dev ji. When baba Sri chand came to visit guru ramdas ji, guru ramdas ji gave baba Sri chand a lot of respect, so why should anyone else  ot give them respect? 

Baba sri chand never accepted guru angad dev ji or guru amar das ji but when he saw the humility of guru ramdas ji he said he can see why guru nanak dev ji didnt choose him as the next guru and chose guru angad dev ji instead. 

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

Yes.  Baba Sri Chand recognized Guru Angad Sahib Jee as the true Guru and light of Guru Nanak.  Gurudwara Barth Sahib in Pathankot is the place where Baba Sri Chand met Guru Ram Das jee.  Baba jee also did tap at an Udasi ashram called Mandir Bhagwan Sri Chander ji Maharaj pind nanak chak gurdaspur.  Both asthans are related historically.

What fascinates me is that in Matra Sahib, bani written by Baba Sri Chand, he proclaims that his father, Guru Nanak is his Guru.

https://youtu.be/Un6RAgZee10

Also, Baba Sri Chand writes an aarti aarta to Guru Nanak, praising Guru ji.  Baba Sri Chand sang it for Guru Nanak Dev ji after returning from his 3rd udasi

Guest Learner Sikh

An example of an amritdhari Udasi is Sant Baba Gurvinder Singh jee Mandi Wala of Gurudwara Udasin Braham Akhara.  It 

Here is a Sufi Muslim doing katha at akhara sahib about baba sri chand